There's something wrong with us lot

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
All the people that will do what I did, you're just wrong.

Going home tonight - just as I was leaving, the skies opened - I mean it bleeding bucketed it down.

Now I looked across at the clouds and could clearly see that if I waited... Ooooo.... 15-20 mins it'd clear up and I could cycle home in relatively dry conditions.

Did I wait? Did I feck.

Straight out there, cycling in the torrential downpour and loving every minute of it. :D

I can now state that my eVent top works really well even in the worst downpours, and cycling in just shorts ain't so bad as long as you keep moving.

Oh and I didn't need a surgeon's glove wrapped around my ankle to keep my feet dry in my MW80s :wink:
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• medoramas
    medoramas Posts: 202
    Yes, exactly the same scenario with the clouds over here. What I can say... Never trust your phone weather app - it may tell you to leave those overshoes at home... And the aldi waterproof hi-viz top works well! :-)

I'm also wearing my marathon winter in so it was weird hearing that constant noise of squashed bubble wrap... :-D
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    im 100% with you there. I LOVE riding in the rain , in the dark. not joking either. we must be equally mad!
  • wyadvd
    shorts and mw80s are just wrong!
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I like riding in rain, and snow. Not keen on sleet or hail though.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • All part of the joys of cycling. Looking forward to riding my country park section in the snow.
  • Love riding in rain but once got caught out in the mother of all thunderstorms. Suffice to say that brown stuff on my shorts wasn't entirely down to a lack of mudguards...
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Likewise - halfway home, the heavens opened. I had my shiny new rain jacket at the bottom of the pannier but figured it was a shower so kept going rather than stop and get wetter while I dug it out. It wasn't just a shower - short but v wet. Was impressed though by how well my Giordana jacket kept out the rain though.

But yes, cycling in the rain makes me giggle - unless, of course, it's that very sharp rain that drives into your face like little needles...
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337

But yes, cycling in the rain makes me giggle .

Cheaper than champagne - you must be a cheap date!

I don't mind the rain. The only bit I don't like is when it gets on my M-Frames and I can't bloody see.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    'zackly the same. Shorts and linen shirt, man bag with laptop taped into a binbag. Only problem is it went dark as a jailers butt crack and I had semi-mirrored Oakleys on my face. Couldn't see for poop and had to bare-eyeball it for the last couple of miles.

OT - can you believe that the autocorrect on this POS HTC phone PROMPTED semi-mirrored and bare-eyeballed but just made me re-type OT three times?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    5 miles from home on my ride it started to rain properly and I didn't use the short cut I could have to knock 1.5 miles off the journey.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Last year Winter started with three days of horizontal hail and sleet.

Bring it on.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    SimonAH wrote:
    OT - can you believe that the autocorrect on this POS HTC phone PROMPTED semi-mirrored and bare-eyeballed but just made me re-type OT three times?

OT - but don't get me started. Since Apple "fixed" it in IOS5, the autocorrect which always changes its to it's (which I'd got used to) now seems to happen randomly. Same goes for ill and I'll

I get added satisfaction of arriving in the office soaked to the skin and people, knowing you have a car, looking at you as if you're a loon.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    5 Minutes before I left work last night and it started bouncing off the roads,my wife rang and said it had passed over our house within about ten minutes so I may aswell hold on .

I contemplated this for about a minute and then just thought, sod it gotta get used to it again as I am gonna spend the next 5 months getting drenched.
    Once I was on my way I loved it, aswell as the rain it was also my first dark commute of this autumn and it was great fun !!! Only one mistake.....left my overshoes at home so got very wet feet ...... other than that BRING ON WINTER !!!!
  • A guy I know is a keen golfer, one time he was playing a coastal course in the bitter wind and driving rain and he say a fisherman in the sea. He turned to his mate and said, "Look at that idiot fishing in this weather".

That's the nature of obsession.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    And I thought I was a loon for wanting heavy rain on my commute this morning :lol::lol:

Certifiable, the lot of you!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Went home the long way yesterday evening - got home covered inmud from head to toe - Mrs JW unimpressed by my stupid grin 8) :)
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Got home yesterday and wrung out my shorts, socks and crackers.

Shorts were definately the way forward, even though my shoes were still damp this morning. Could be worse.

My Phantom jackets kept me reasonabley dry but it was still damp, inside and out this morning. I couldn't be arsed to stop and put the waterproof on.

Smiled all the way home, though.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Topaxci
    Topaxci Posts: 106
    Love the rain :lol: , makes me faster!!
    Though could be something to do with my brakes being rubbish in the wet.

Soggy shoes the next morning are the only downside. But thats a problem for another day.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Well I've been to Legoland today and got wetter than an otter's pocket on several occasions.

Did I enjoy it?

No I didn't, and frankly would have looked a bit gay in all my cycling gear to keep me dry.
  • wyadvd
    SimonAH wrote:

OT - but don't get me started. Since Apple "fixed" it in IOS5, the autocorrect which always changes its to it's (which I'd got used to) now seems to happen randomly. Same goes for ill and I'll

I get added satisfaction of arriving in the office soaked to the skin and people, knowing you have a car, looking at you as if you're a loon.

what makes me laff is the odd "cyclist" in the workplace who might commute 2 miles a month if they are "lucky" (for pure poseur value you understand) , also looking at you like you are a loon for cycling in the rain. I get "oooo you braved it today then did you?"

their loss, they don't know what they are missng!
  • Well I've cycled into work tonight, lovely evening for it. weather forecast reckons it's gonna belt down by the time i finish in the morning, looks like it is the first soaking for me this autumn.
    all the lads think i've lost my marbles, there is only 1 bike in the bike sheds. :lol::lol:
  • Just take care out there in the wet. I went out in torrential rain about 8 weeks ago, came off on a bend, broke my collar bone and had to have surgery. The stitches came out today and I'm almost back to work but the Physio says still no bike for a few more weeks.

I'm getting very very jealous of you lot still riding, enjoy it and take care out there. I'm looking to order some new grippy tyres for the road bike and learn to think more about speed into corners. I had just hit that point where my fitness had upped my speed to a level where I needed to relearn whether my speed was right for the conditions and I made a bad call.

have fun but take care
  • f yeah. i concur that there are evils inside us. :twisted:

first saw the rain, utterly unwilling to get out. then the sky brighten up, thought it was the right moment to leg home. Oh well, the old joke from heaven, it was bright with direct sunlight, at the same time it was p!ssing down. I strapped on my goretex, but my shorts are soaked. Thankfully I had a mud guard on to prevent a soggy bottom, and my sealskinz socks (dont know why did i put on, all i was thinking was 'oh, just incase') keep my feet dry.

i was loving it!! even with smile on my face while pedaling. rode pass Canary Wharf and even have the mood to pop into starbucks for a brew. then looking down at those clones in dark suits as i was just been back from the battlefield. (but in fact i must have looked like a fool)

afterall, it was a nice ride. 8)
  • wyadvd
    Just take care out there in the wet. I went out in torrential rain about 8 weeks ago, came off on a bend, broke my collar bone and had to have surgery. The stitches came out today and I'm almost back to work but the Physio says still no bike for a few more weeks.

I'm getting very very jealous of you lot still riding, enjoy it and take care out there. I'm looking to order some new grippy tyres for the road bike and learn to think more about speed into corners. I had just hit that point where my fitness had upped my speed to a level where I needed to relearn whether my speed was right for the conditions and I made a bad call.

have fun but take care

hey! Read yer sheldon before you buy that tyre. according to him the grippiest tyres in the wet are the baldest of bald slicks( small variations in compound). And brand new tyres are the worst!
  • SimonAH wrote:
    'zackly the same. Shorts and linen shirt, man bag with laptop taped into a binbag. Only problem is it went dark as a jailers butt crack and I had semi-mirrored Oakleys on my face. Couldn't see for poop and had to bare-eyeball it for the last couple of miles.

OT - you got away lightly :D

http://damnyouautocorrect.com/10484/the ... -all-time/