Cotswold Corker 2012

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
Does anyone know if this ride is planned, and if so where to register? I'm told the route that early in the year is better suited to a hybrid or MB. Is this correct? Thanks.
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    edited October 2011
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    I'm told the route that early in the year is better suited to a hybrid or MB. Is this correct? Thanks.

It all depends. This year's event was blessed with sunny, "warm" temperatures.
    However, it was a bit mucky around Hilcot area (taking a R A435 onto then imm L).
    A road bike (with mudguards?) would be ok, IMO.

It's a popular event (watch out for Bushcombe Lane after about 2 miles) :shock:
    Contact Sean or Sally Graff of Cheltenham CTC. The event isn't in the
    Audax calendar yet, but I suspect it will take place on Saturday 11 February.

Clockwise riding.
    6279670051_7b964d6755_b.jpg

Bushcombe Lane
    4907401809_b312b93865_z.jpg
  • The AUK foward planner which is available to event organisers, details projected but not yet published events. The list does not show the Corker for 2012. It usually takes place a week before my Sunrise and Snowdrop on 18th Feb. If it is not running, I would be surprised bearing in mind the popularity of this gratuitous event. I certainly hope that it will be happening in 2012.

If you follow De Sisti's suggestion of contacting the usual organiser, please let us know.
  • Peddle Up!
    I've contacted Cheltenham CTC and I'll post the outcome here.

I know Bushcombe all too well. It's one of my local climbs and always has me off. One day... :evil:
  • de_sisti
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    I've contacted Cheltenham CTC and I'll post the outcome here.

I know Bushcombe all too well. It's one of my local climbs and always has me off. One day... :evil:

My ploy for Bushcombe Lane; Is to start off with the first set of riders and let them
    go off down the road ahead of me. By the time I enter the left turn into the lane,
    the riders have split up, enabling one to slowly ride up without being impeded.

@Peddle Up, why not get the Tuesday or Thursday evening rides to go up there
    more often?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yepp, not a climb I would fancy with a pack of other cyclists as the surface ain't great and it does get narrow. I found it blinking dangerous on the Beast last year when a large number of riders got caught in the wrong chainring on the first climb and would simple unclip and stop without any shout of warning...I had to do more weaving and bobbing than Wiggo on the Angliro.
  • de_sisti
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Yepp, not a climb I would fancy with a pack of other cyclists as the surface ain't great and it does get narrow. I found it blinking dangerous on the Beast last year when a large number of riders got caught in the wrong chainring on the first climb and would simple unclip and stop without any shout of warning...I had to do more weaving and bobbing than Wiggo on the Angliro.

Know what you mean. I suppose it could be a case of a lot of the sportive riders
    thinking that they're in a race (oh, that's in another thread :oops:) , and can get over some
    of these uber steep climbs in 39x21. :wink:
  • oxoneil
    oxoneil Posts: 147
    I rode last year with a mudguarded road bike and just before Andoversford I was getting seriously clogged up with mud.

I decided I wouldn't ride it again but, as you do, I will be back if it is on again next year only this time I will be riding my cross bike.
  • Peddle Up!
    oxoneil wrote:
    I rode last year with a mudguarded road bike and just before Andoversford I was getting seriously clogged up with mud.

I decided I wouldn't ride it again but, as you do, I will be back if it is on again next year only this time I will be riding my cross bike.
    Reading accounts of previous rides it seems like mud is more, rather than less likely, so I'll go on the hybrid, assuming the Corker goes ahead (still waiting to hear from the organisers).

Any benefit to post Winter bike-unfit riders from granny gearing is purely coincidental. :D
  • Peddle Up!
    Refreshing the thread. No news from the organisers yet, and I see it isn't on the audax calendar. Can anyone throw light on whether this event will run in 2012? Thanks.
  • de_sisti
    Rest assured, this event has been running every year since I've been in Cheltenham.
    I'm convinced that Sean will have something on the Audax pages before the new year.
    The event normally takes place on the first or second Saturday in February.
  • oxoneil
    oxoneil Posts: 147
    I'm pretty sure the date has passed for organisers to list February events so if it does run it won't be in February.
  • Oxoneil is quite correct. The deadline has been passed and the event is not on the calendar for 2012
  • de_sisti
    Apparently, the organisers are taking a break from this event for 2012, so it won't be held.
    Apologies to those to whom I stated that the Corker would be held in Feb 2012.
  • Peddle Up!
    That's a real shame. I was quite looking forward to it. A pity the organisers didn't respond to the two emails I sent them.
  • Bobbinogs
    I think you will find that a few chaps in the local CTC have only just had elastic trickery installed at home :wink:
  • Peddle Up!
    Hmmm... I suppose I was being a bit grumpy. Maybe I'll send a message by carrier pigeon next time. :)
  • Peddle Up!
    Nothing for 2013 either? :(
  • Bobbinogs
    Funnily enough I bumped into Sean last Sunday (he was on one of the CTC rides and I went out with the County). Assuming he is out again this week I shall ask him what the score is for this year but I do seem to recall that the last time we spoke he really had had enough and no one else jumped in to fill the void.

I blinking missed the Mad March Hare which is now full up :(

Windrush Winter Warmer is at the end of the month if you fancy a gentle ease back into organised rides, lovely route which I did last week for a laugh (added in a bit from Chelters to make it a century) and the ride itself comes complete with a couple of very decent pitstops.
  • Bobbinogs
    I managed to catch up with Shaun yesterday and he confirmed that there will be no Corker this year but that he intends to get this ride going again next year...so that is a whole year of prep for Bushcombe so no excuses :)
  • Peddle Up!
    No excuses then! :)