Alloy post stuck in carbon frame

FOGcp
FOGcp Posts: 145
edited October 2011 in Workshop
What can I do to free this off?. When it happened in a steel frame I got someone to melt the post out, not an option here! I am reluctant to try the usual soaking in WD, Gt85 whatever as it seems carbon doesn't like it. I'm not sure about whacking it too hard as I don't want to delaminate the seat tube.
Help please!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    FOGcp wrote:
    What can I do to free this off?. When it happened in a steel frame I got someone to melt the post out, not an option here! I am reluctant to try the usual soaking in WD, Gt85 whatever as it seems carbon doesn't like it. I'm not sure about whacking it too hard as I don't want to delaminate the seat tube.
    Help please!

Really?? Better not lube yr carbon bike then.... :D But serioulsy neither GT85, nor WD40, diesel, cocke whatever is going to react with your carbon frame.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I would get the bottom bracket out and get plenty of penetrating oil into the seat tube from both ends - give it a week putting more on each day then have a go. Experience tells me that being patient with something like this is worth it in the long term.

Other options might be to try and break the bond by smacking it further into the seat tube with a hammer (not sure about that one myself!) or as a last resort melting the alu with caustic soda.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.