Whistle instead of a Bell

symo
symo Posts: 1,743
edited October 2011 in Commuting general
Any thoughts? I have a feeling car drivers don't hear my ting ting, and I want more noise, so I am thinking plastic whistle for the heavily crowded parts of my route.
+++++++++++++++++++++
we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.

Comments

• Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    How about a loud "WHAT THE FCUK ARE YOU DOING?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!" ?

This seems to be the most common form of self preservation vs motorists that I've witnessed.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Bells are only really useful for pedestrians - but peds are responsible for an awful lot of bike accidents. Can't see you'll win many friends whistling at peds, and cars are not going to hear a whistle.
  • iPeds won't hear a bell or a whistle. Since so many peds are wired for sound I haven't bothered to replace my broken bell.

Besides, on the odd occasion that a pedestrian walking in the road has heard my polite little warning tinkle they tend to turn round and hurl abuse at me for being aggressive.

Just shoot them.

Mudguard Nazi, FCN 10
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Just shoot them.

Or carry a mace and take those fcukers out with a heavy swing :twisted:
    FCN 2 to 8
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Airzound.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • symo wrote:
    Any thoughts? I have a feeling car drivers don't hear my ting ting, and I want more noise, so I am thinking plastic whistle for the heavily crowded parts of my route.

You are kidding, right? Google for Air Zound and upgrade the bottle to something bigger than 0.5L like I did. Runs fine at 80 psi. 115+ dB of pure rage. (PS A plane taking off is 120 dB - imho)

Fantastic for city commuting. Doesn't save in a situation where the only response is swerve and brake, but is great as a precaution, e.g. a pedestrian showing an intention to cross right ahead of you, a cabbie trying to sneakily turn right, a blind corner coming up...

Enjoy!
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I love my Acme thunderer

It picks people up and moves them out of the way.

Bob
  • cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    Airzound.

+1 :wink: