riding in the fog ? love it or hate it ?

castlelad
castlelad Posts: 414
edited November 2011 in The hub
There's a stretch of country lane(1.5 miles) i have to ride on my way to/from work , when its foggy it's really crap visibility wise, lights aint any use at all(i work nights), so i use my head torch from my hard hat(works) and that is 100 times better......my point u ask, how do u feel when its foggy ,does it put you off etc etc ?

Comments

• RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    I don't have a problem riding in the fog, I'm usually lit up enough to give an epileptic a fit. What does annoy are the idiots that think because it's day time they don't need their lights on
  • I love the fog. I like the mood. The drearyness...

It's the absolute worst time to be on the road in any kind of traffic though - lit up or not.
  • castlelad
    I don't have a problem riding in the fog, I'm usually lit up enough to give an epileptic a fit. What does annoy are the idiots that think because it's day time they don't need their lights on

or the b*stard badgers,rabbits down that lane !
  • castlelad
    I love the fog. I like the mood. The drearyness...

It's the absolute worst time to be on the road in any kind of traffic though - lit up or not.

+1 but i have little choice really....
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    Quite like the atmosphere of a foggy ride.

I've found that my helmet light is pretty useless though, as the beam projecting from the light is dazzling.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    castlelad
    Sounds like you need better lights, seriously, if you can't see ahead then cars can't see you from behind! :shock:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87 wrote:
    castlelad
    Sounds like you need better lights, seriously, if you can't see ahead then cars can't see you from behind! :shock:

Lights tend to reflect off the fog. If you're in a car and you switch the full beam on, you can't see anything EXCEPT fog. Which I think is possibly what castlad means. There's a difference between having lights to see and lights to be seen. Personally I'd say the latter are very important in those conditions.

And you'd need some serious lights to be seen from behind at any reasonable distance in thick fog.
  • bails87
    butcher of bakersfield
    But if a helmet mounted light is better, it sounds liek a power issue rather than a reflection issue. Otherwise the helmet mounted light (closer to his line of sight) would be worse, isn't that why car fog lights are low down?
    MTB/CX

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    i like it when it's foggy, but not really foggy that you can't see anything though
  • Abra
    Abra Posts: 338
    no complaints here.... the moisture in the air keeps you cool too. :D
    DO MORE OF WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    I love the fog, it makes riding along the sea wall more 'interesting'.

On the road all you need are a couple of lights with a more focused beam and my mars rear light's perfectly visable.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • castlelad
    edited October 2011
    bails87 wrote:
    castlelad

Trust me i don't need better lights ! The light i use is app 1200 lumens but like someone else says it just reflects back so my head torch just seams to give me better visibility to see any unwanted wildlife in the road(badgers can be scary in the dark! :shock:) ....and at the times i use the lane there is little or no traffic, and if drivers cant see my back lights then im pretty much fooked in fog or not ! plus its only an issue on the lane... oh the lane is three mile lane in keele....cudmore fishereies if any of u know there,
  • bails87
    If a head torch is 100 times better then there's a fair chance your lights aren't very good :wink:
    MTB/CX

• Well the last 2 mornings have been foggy as stevie wonders eyesight to say the least and apart from a fox this am, its been a most enjoyable 2 rides home(esp as i now have 4 nights off!) and my theory is spot on for me, headtorch gave me better visibilty(pointed towards the tarmac bout 10ft ahead of the front wheel) and less reflection from the fog. Saturday am coming home i couldt even see 50ft in front or behind, but i had no choice but carry on !
  • I like the spooky atmosphericness (is that a word?) of riding in fog, especially on the trails where you can only see maybe 5m ahead instead of 50m. Its pretty cool having trees loom up out of the pea soup and have a few near misses to keep things interesting. Never rode in fog on a night so dunno out that but from driving in the foggy dark it is hard to penetrate the fog with any brightness of beam because, as has been said before, you just light up the fog and it reflects back at you.
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Riding in the fog is great, it just adds to the challenge, what else could you possibly add to dark, cold, wet nights?