Shortest ride ever!

mudsucker
mudsucker Posts: 730
edited November 2011 in MTB general
I went out for a ride in my local woods earlier and about 10mins into the ride a stick broke my Sram X9 rear mech clean off. Bugger!! Think that might be my shortest bike ride ever.

Anyone else had this happen to them? Sorry not very interesting but fancied a vent!

Ben :D
Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
2013 Trek 1.2
1982 Holdsworth Elan.

Comments

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    i crashed on Friday about 6 mins into my ride doing jumps accross 4x4 tracks and punctured... cut my leg too and threw the towel in.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    i crashed on Friday about 6 mins into my ride doing jumps accross 4x4 tracks and punctured... cut my leg too and threw the towel in.
  • Not the shortest ride ever, but the biggest fail.

The line we thought we needed turned out to be a dead end rather quickly haha!

http://contour.com/stories/caerphilly-m ... wrong-line
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Broke a brand new Dura Ace chain 50 yards into an XC race years ago. Picked it up and went home. Gorrick transferred my entry to the next race, which was good of them!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Drove into a carpark with a height restricter once. Unfortunately bikes were on the roofrack.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Get to trail, unload bike from mini. Find mech bent and chain somehow looped three times through the frame. Put back in car, get into car after finding £20 in deserted carpark. Not sure if it was a good or bad day.
  • Went to Cannock after work (18h00), offloaded the bike, got my riding kit on, rode to the beginning of the FTD trail, then all of a sudden I needed a crap. Rode to the bathroom at Cannock, the only throne was occupied. Loaded the bike back on the car and went home to partake in some weight loss in the comfort of my own throne.. Ride time? About 4 minutes
  • Once drove for 4 hours to Wasdale Head, Rode for 5 minutes. Snapped chain. Drove home.

I carry spare links now :roll:
  • Drove 40 miles to what i thought was going to be a Dales ride got there and it was raining, the person i was giving a lift decided they wasn't riding in the rain getting soaked for 4-5hrs. So after 15mins of listening to " i'm not going out in that" i turned round and came back home NOT a happy bunny that day...

Out come; i NO longer car share.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i snapped my chain whilst still in the car park at forest of dean, didn't have a chain tool or a power link and also didn't have any cash to buy one!! packed the bike back up and went home :lol:
  • mintedox
    mintedox Posts: 273
    5 minutes into gisburn and i managed to deck it and land funny on my wrist. Tried to carry on but was struggling so headed back to the van annoyed.

My own fault for thinking a couple of hours on the bike would clear a hangover.
    Papa? Nicole
  • Down the start ramp at Chicksands dual slalom, hit the first kicker, landed straight on the point of my shoulder. Knackered for the rest of the day. Total ride time? About 3 seconds. Distance? About 20 yards. Meh.
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Ariving after an hours drive to find there was nothing left in the front brake pads (must have polished them off right at the end of the last ride) meant I had to go straight home. Don't think I even left the car park.
  • My shortest ride was about 2 minutes uphill, puked from being hungover, and then right back down to the cars and waited while everyone else finished the ride off, luckily it wasn't too long a route so was only waiting about an hour before the first got back to drive me home. Shame really, i've come to love that trail.
  • Casbar
    Casbar Posts: 168
    mattv wrote:
    Get to trail, unload bike from mini. Find mech bent and chain somehow looped three times through the frame. Put back in car, get into car after finding £20 in deserted carpark. Not sure if it was a good or bad day.

Depends on how much the prepair cost , I assume !!!
    exercise.png
  • Markmjh
    Markmjh Posts: 415
    I once got all dressed up ready to go, packed my bag, arranged a meeting point with mates, pi$$ed my girlfriend off as she wanted to go shopping, went out to shed, got bike out and THEN remembered that i had no forks as they were away getting serviced :-(
    DOH!!!!
    Ride Crash Ride Again
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    some good stories chaps. Sound like my 10mins was quite long compaired so some of you :lol:
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    New bike number of years back now, first time I had proper disc brakes. Got to the car park, bike out the car and proceeded to try to fit the front wheel to the bike. Brake pads were closed thanks to the lever getting knocked or pulled at some point, and I didn't know then how to free them. Spent ages trying to work it out and gave up, went back home and looked up on the net, then went "ah, okay, d'oh!".

Next attempt after that, 10 minutes in, pinch flat. No spare tubes, tried a very old repair kit I had but it was rubbish and didn't hold. Walk back to car, went home.
  • Bah, you're all ameteurs!

Left my garage, made it literally 10ft to the other side of the street when I somehow managed to slip, drop the bike and snap the mech hanger.

DOH!
  • Not me but my 6 year old. Took him and the dog out into the forest, I get his bike out the car, he sits on it and declares 'Oh by the way Daddy, my tyres flat'

Turns out the only reason he had come in from playing out earlier on was because of the flat but he 'forgot' to mention it. Whats worse is that I only remembered later that day that there is an electric pump with necessary adapters fitted in the back of the car in place of a spare wheel.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I met a lady on an event who had loaded her bike on to her roof, gone back in to get her bag and helmet and came out to find her bike gone.

London for you.
  • cooldad wrote:
    Drove into a carpark with a height restricter once. Unfortunately bikes were on the roofrack.
    Aaah, good, I'm glad someone else is as stupid as me. I did the very same thing taking my bike back for it's 6 week service. Total fcuking write off, bent forks, crushed frame, bent wheels busted roof rack and dented car roof.

As we are on the subject of short rides, placed my bike on the bike rack, drove 40 mins to Cannock Chase and realised the keys that I need to open the lock on the rack are not in my car. Drive back home.
  • This is depressin peps
  • RobGT
    RobGT Posts: 132
    Went to Cannock after work (18h00), offloaded the bike, got my riding kit on, rode to the beginning of the FTD trail, then all of a sudden I needed a crap. Rode to the bathroom at Cannock, the only throne was occupied. Loaded the bike back on the car and went home to partake in some weight loss in the comfort of my own throne.. Ride time? About 4 minutes

:lol:
  • Dunno if this counts.

Just built my new Giant Anthem X but due to an illness and post-opp restiction I've only managed a sit on the bike to set up front and then rear sag.

Maybe 5 secs each time.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Riding some downhill on a pretty short track, on the first drop of the second run, stacked it and broke my wrist. Riding time, about 2 minutes. (with about 15 minutes worth of pushing and then a HORRIBLE push back to the car!)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I once did a motorbike ride that involved me rolling the bike out of the garage, getting on, starting it up, somehow knocking it into gear and then having to try and catch it as it jumped forward on my ****ed leg. Well that didn't work so instead it fell on top of me and bent my knee like a wet noodle. Total distance ridden: 1 ft. Total time on crutches: 2 months.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Finished a night shift at 6am and had the car already packed drove up to Ambleside got there about 7.30 got dressed jumped on bike and nearly bust my nuts on the cross bar. I had forgotten the chain I had cleaned it the evening before and hung it on a nail in my shed. Had to sit in the car for nearly 2 hours waiting for the bike shop too open, when the guy in the shop had finished rolling on the floor laughing at me he sold me a chain and off I went. So initially zero feet but later managed Garburn Pass so all good in the end.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    stubs wrote:
    Finished a night shift at 6am and had the car already packed drove up to Ambleside got there about 7.30 got dressed jumped on bike and nearly bust my nuts on the cross bar. I had forgotten the chain I had cleaned it the evening before and hung it on a nail in my shed. Had to sit in the car for nearly 2 hours waiting for the bike shop too open, when the guy in the shop had finished rolling on the floor laughing at me he sold me a chain and off I went. So initially zero feet but later managed Garburn Pass so all good in the end.

Im pi$$ing myself as well stubs!
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Ater a loading my car up, taking all my stuff to work with me for the day, getting changed at work, driving to the race venue, unloading the bike, then remembering i put my Spuds back on the night before and didnt pack those shoes. :roll:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty