unfair sales promotions

NatoED
NatoED Posts: 480
I can't help but notice that you are now advertising where to buy products in their reviews. But you seem to only point to 3 shops saying that they are the "best " for price and service. Surely this is unfair to local and small bike shops .

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Some would say the internet is unfair to local and small bike shops too, but without it would be no forum or reviews.
  • NatoED
    thats true , but shouldn't an "independent" source of buying advice for customers not promote just 3 companies acting as a point of sale for them ? There is room for all in the industry . I would have thought that bike radar would provide a level playing for all. after all there are already enough adverts for said companies .
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    NatoED, I'm not an ad guy but these are paid for promotional slots. They're necessary to help pay for this (free!) site.

With regard to a level playing field, local bike shops can advertise on BikeRadar too if they want.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • NatoED
    Thats true the side slots don't bother me it's the new feature that's been added where it says : "shopping partners

Find this product at :
    (lists wiggle CRC and winstey) "

I've yet too see any other shops advertised in that box.
    It seems a little unfair to give these companies that can afford to pay for that privileged position right next to the product . Do you think that it would be a little unfair , if say a shop like Tescos only promoted a single bike magazine ?

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    WMB/MBUK etc don't pay Tesco to sell the magazine, nor promote it.

The reviews of products here are totally independent of advertising. As Jeff says, is needed to pay for this site, and the rest are free to advertise should they so wish. Given that 99% of the world knows how to use google shopping, a savvy shopper will get the right bike from the right place at the right price, regardless of an advert.
  • Jeff Jones
    NatoED wrote:
    Thats true the side slots don't bother me it's the new feature that's been added where it says : "shopping partners

Find this product at :
    (lists wiggle CRC and winstey) "

I've yet too see any other shops advertised in that box.
    It seems a little unfair to give these companies that can afford to pay for that privileged position right next to the product . Do you think that it would be a little unfair , if say a shop like Tescos only promoted a single bike magazine ?
    That's how advertising works. Companies pay for exposure because it helps them sell more products. Local bike shops mostly don't deal with online sales, so I doubt whether they'd even be interested in paying for online shopping links. That's not unfair, it's just playing to the strengths of the medium.

(Shopping partners aren't a new feature btw, they're just a bit more visible now)
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • NatoED
    maybe it's my paranoia of CRC turning into the new tescos .
  • Jeff Jones
    It's the changing nature of the market, and it's not just in bikes. e.g. Amazon versus the local book shop. One doesn't mean the death of the other though: the two can coexist.

I buy products online and to a lesser degree from local bike shops (the ones around here are all doing pretty well btw). If I need mechanical work done, then I take it to the shop rather than faff around myself. They never seem short of work.

As online shopping continues to grow, bike shops with good workshops, customer service or some other unique selling point will have an advantage over those who rely solely on retail.

That said, I still prefer my shopping at my local bookshop rather than Amazon because the experience is far more pleasant (they offer you coffee and have regular book signings with well known authors).
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • NatoED
    So basically if LBS were to sell bacon butties .............