Strange noise from my rear hub

jam5ie76
jam5ie76 Posts: 108
edited October 2011 in Workshop
I'm running ultegra hubs that are now about 2500k old.

During a deep clean yesterday i noticed a tinkling noise like a loose piece of metal running around the inside of the rear one. Its not loud enough to bother me when I'm riding but it's presence is an irritation.

I do ride on some pretty lumpy roads but I can't think of anything small enough that may have broken off from the inside of the hub (it does sound like its coming from the hub itself and not the free body). The noise also persists when the skewer isnt in and the wheel is rotating freely.

Comments

• racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    If there is no play in the axle then I suspect it's been there the whole time. If it's new I can't think of anything that it could be apart form bearing damage (hence checking for play) or damage to one of the freehub pawls.

They're old enough that a service can't hurt (wouldn't expect Ultegra to need it at that age but it won't hurt).
  • jam5ie76
    jam5ie76 Posts: 108
    If there is no play in the axle then I suspect it's been there the whole time. If it's new I can't think of anything that it could be apart form bearing damage (hence checking for play) or damage to one of the freehub pawls.

They're old enough that a service can't hurt (wouldn't expect Ultegra to need it at that age but it won't hurt).

Yeah, i'll mention it at my pre summer service next easter. There is no play so i'm not that worried, plus i'll be on the turbo (on an old wheel) more and more as the weather closes in so it can wait.

Thanks for the reply.
  • I've had loose stuff rattling around inside the rim. Could it be that?
    Trek Madone 5.9, Trek Rumblefish 2, Kinesis Racelight T for the rain and a Kawasaki ZX12 R.