Evans Ride It Cannock Chase

prawny
prawny Posts: 5,439
Anyone doing this this year?

Did the long route last year and had fun, I thought I'd have a crack at the medium one this year so I don't end up doing the lsat 45 miles solo again.

Not bad for £12.50 signage was excellent last year and the feed zones had plenty of food/drink.
Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017

Comments

• essexian
    essexian Posts: 187
    Thinking of doing the short or medium route (depends if I can get a pass out from her in control....supposed to be doing some building works!).

I will decide when they publish the route but as you say, the cost is quite good for a sportive.
  • prawny
    I've got last years gpx files if you want me to email them to you. I don't expect there will be a fat lot of difference, The start and finish is the same anyway. Might ride last years short route at the weekend id the weather is nice
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Yes I have signed up as well. Long I think but might depend on the weather on the day and the actual distance.

Still not sure if the long is 70 or 90 miles. Seen more references to 70 so far which is less of a "commitment", especially as from last year I seem to remember some people complaining about a bit of a sharp and unexpected hill at an inappropriate point on the course
  • prawny
    If it's the same route as last year it was just under 90 miles. Tough route there was a proper sharp hill about 25 miles in, I'm assuming it'll be in there again. It had me walking but that was mainly due to grip, I've ridden it since in the dry with a newer rear tyre and made it up.
    The worst part of it is the start/finish is pretty much the highest point.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • lioneld
    lioneld Posts: 69
    Yep - I'm in, even talked my old man into entering as well - his first sportive in 40+ years of cycling. In for the long route - best of luck to those of you riding it, fingers crossed for decent weather!
    All Italian
  • lioneld
    Evans blog site is showing 70 for the long route - i'm sure it was 90 when i signed up for it?
    All Italian
  • Based on what I felt like after 75 miles on Saturday, 70 for the long route will be more than enough
  • prawny
    Lioneld wrote:
    Evans blog site is showing 70 for the long route - i'm sure it was 90 when i signed up for it?

It's had both at different times. Haven't looked for a bit.

I've signed up for the Medium but if it's only 70 for the long I'll do that instead. TBH though I'm sure they'll just use last years routes, save doing any more work?
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • lioneld
    Makes sense i guess. Will probably be glad its only 70 if the headwind is as bad as it was last Sunday
    All Italian
  • prawny
    Looks like it will be 70 then. Website has changed since I last looked, I suppose we'll find out for sure on Friday.
    What time is everyone setting off? Went off with a group last year and they all turned off at the medium point, really don't want to get left on my own with 40 odd miles to go again, especially if it's windy.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • lioneld
    We're hoping to get off for 8:30 or as close as. 5 of us riding the long - no-one's allowed to shirk off on the medium route or they'll be riding home as well!
    All Italian
  • prawny
    I'll probably see you there then I'll be off with the first wave. I've got to get home as soon as possible, condition of my release from her indoors.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • lioneld
    Aye, sounds familiar! Will be on a red Wilier, white tape, white seat will keep an eye out for a Verenti
    All Italian
  • prawny
    Good oh, will keep an eye out. There's not a lot of verentis about.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017