UK domestic transfers

timturpinfleck
timturpinfleck Posts: 59
edited January 2012 in Pro race
Thought I'd set up a topic to discuss the ins and outs of the UK domestic teams.

I was a bit concerned initially when I saw that Endura had released 5 out of 8 UK riders, but very pleased to see they have signed Bibby and McEvoy from Motorpoint and Erick Rowsell from the Academy. They are looking a strong team for next year already and it will be interesting to see whether they sign Tiernan-Locke and Russ Downing. Feel they are potentially one season away from Pro Conti level if they can find another sponsor. Well done to Brian Smith for all the hard work he has put in getting the team to where they are now and hopefully we will see Raleigh reaching that level in a few years time.

Comments

• Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Well, the only way is up for Raleigh, but I'm thrilled at Endura's progress, and yes, you're right they are nudging closer to Pro Conti level. Hope they can at least sign Russel Downing. Endura were in a league of their own last year. (tried to get the link the cq ranking showing this, but can't)
  • Raleigh haven't lived up to their promise up to now, but have got some promising youngsters. They need to finish higher in the Tour Series and hopefully signing Graham Briggs will be a start in helping them achieve this.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Don't think the tour series is that important for teams looking for go up a level as it's nothing but glorified crit races. Partly why you see Rapha ripping everyone to shreds on it as they hold a huge stable of crit racers. RCS are the one team who seem very happy where they are.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    rebs wrote:
    Don't think the tour series is that important for teams looking for go up a level as it's nothing but glorified crit races. Partly why you see Rapha ripping everyone to shreds on it as they hold a huge stable of crit racers. RCS are the one team who seem very happy where they are.

What are the more important races for UK teams out of interest? Im not being sarcastic, I follow mostly the tour series cos i live in woking and it comes there, and its also on tv. It would be good to know whats going on really outside of that little part
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Very interesting to see that Raleigh signed Briggs-he must've seen some good in the team.......many riders don't though! I'd be very suprised to see them amount to much with the current setup.

Hopefully Endura can take the stepup to Pro Conti soon. Bibby would be well capable of competing at that level, as would a number of others that they have on board.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    I'm not knocking the Tour series. Its great to watch and great it's getting more and more coverage each year.

For teams who are looking to go up a level the Tour Series would not be as important. It'll be a highier priority for these teams to be competing in highier UCI ranked races and stage races abroad as well as particualr 1 day races.
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    Tusher wrote:
    Well, the only way is up for Raleigh, but I'm thrilled at Endura's progress, and yes, you're right they are nudging closer to Pro Conti level. Hope they can at least sign Russel Downing. Endura were in a league of their own last year. (tried to get the link the cq ranking showing this, but can't)

Europe Tour Ranking for Pro Conti/Conti teams.

Good show from Endura as there are about 23 Pro conti in the list.
    They sacrificed British races and didnt fully commit to the Tour Series, Crit Series or Prem Calendar in favour of UCI races. Should be strong enough to do well in both Uk and overseas next year with more strong riders rumoured to be signing.

26 Endura 531 pts
    54 Rapha Condor Sharp 218pts
    66 Motorpoint 138pts
    109 Sigma Sport 10 pts
    112 Team Raleigh 4 pts
  • rebs wrote:
    I'm not knocking the Tour series. Its great to watch and great it's getting more and more coverage each year.

For teams who are looking to go up a level the Tour Series would not be as important. It'll be a highier priority for these teams to be competing in highier UCI ranked races and stage races abroad as well as particualr 1 day races.

The Tour Series may not be important for teams wanting to move up a level, but it must help attract bigger sponsors to teams thus attracting better riders.

What's happening with Motorpoint, as I read that they're getting a new title sponsor?
  • Motorpoint are carrying on with a new sponsor and some new riders.

I'm looking forward to watching the Raleigh team in the Tour de France in a couple of years time as reported in Cycling Weekly.
  • Three more impressive signings for Endura who have signed Zak Dempster, Dean Windsor and Jonathan Tiernan-Locke. Think they have 15 now, so is it 16 maximum for a UCI Conti team and will the 16th be Russ Downing?

Australian and US criterium champions Bernie Sulzberger (Fly V) and Daniel Holloway (Kelly Benefits) signed to Raleigh and they've also signed Evan Oliphant

http://www.velouk.net/tag/team-news/
  • lyn1
    Three more impressive signings for Endura who have signed Zak Dempster, Dean Windsor and Jonathan Tiernan-Locke. Think they have 15 now, so is it 16 maximum for a UCI Conti team and will the 16th be Russ Downing?

For the sake of the British scene in a competitive sense, hopefully not...they already look strong enough to dominate if they choose to redirect some of their attention to British races, which presumably they will, as they are capable of running a dual programme with two strong teams racing concurrently.
  • lyn1 wrote:
    Three more impressive signings for Endura who have signed Zak Dempster, Dean Windsor and Jonathan Tiernan-Locke. Think they have 15 now, so is it 16 maximum for a UCI Conti team and will the 16th be Russ Downing?

For the sake of the British scene in a competitive sense, hopefully not...they already look strong enough to dominate if they choose to redirect some of their attention to British races, which presumably they will, as they are capable of running a dual programme with two strong teams racing concurrently.

I don't think he will be wanting to fit back in to where he where he was before he joined Sky, so I feel he would be riding a programme of UCI races. Regardless of who else signs they now have a team that could feature strongly in next year's Tour of Britain without having to rely heavily on overseas riders.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Who is Jack Bauer riding with next season?
  • hammerite wrote:
    Who is Jack Bauer riding with next season?

There's talk of him going to Garmin
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    Dempster, Locke & Windsor to Endura from Rapha Condor Sharp
  • i thought Endura were going pro conti next year? they definately have the riders. Good move for Rowsell as haven't heard much about him in the last few years
  • http://www.raphacondor.cc/news/rapha-co ... on-in-2012

I am sure you will have all caught up with this but thought I would post it....
  • i thought Endura were going pro conti next year? they definitely have the riders. Good move for Rowsell as haven't heard much about him in the last few years

I read that they're still hoping to progress to Pro Continental possibly in a year's time if the budget allows for it. Did i hear that they were after another title sponsor and that is why they haven't moved up this year. At least now they have a stronger contingent of British riders to move up with, but we need more UCI British races to help attract new sponsors and I hope this Velothon Wales is the first of many to take advantage of our success.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    http://www.raphacondor.cc/news/rapha-condor-sharp-all-set-to-take-a-new-direction-in-2012

I can't imagine Rapha or Condor have huge ambitions to sell in Europe, and the Sharp bit would be Sharp UK not the Sharp corporation. So it's no wonder they're not going into Pro Continental level. Interesting to see who their 6 domestic young riders will be, as well as the 4 new signings mentioned in the article I think Felix English has joined them.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I think Rapha/Condor/Sharp probably were faced with a stark choice - massive investment to keep progressing after a fairly stella season, or reassesment of what they are about and what they want to do. I like the new direction - the idea that young riders will get a chance with a well run domestic team that grooms them for bigger teams is an excellent one. It suits the Rapha model too in that hopefully they can instigate some brand loyalty in those riders who will be ambassadors for the clothing range in the future.
  • i think rapha taking on more younger riders is good, but i am not convinced it is by choice of their new direction as they are saying, i think they needed to cut their expenditure and by bringing in younger riders instead of some of the older guys they will have greatly reduced their wage bill as young guys sign before talking wages whereas the older guys are the other way round. Still it looks good for the UK scene.

But this probably doesn't help my aim of being competitive in premiers over the next few years
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645
    hammerite wrote:
    http://www.raphacondor.cc/news/rapha-condor-sharp-all-set-to-take-a-new-direction-in-2012

I can't imagine Rapha or Condor have huge ambitions to sell in Europe, and the Sharp bit would be Sharp UK not the Sharp corporation. So it's no wonder they're not going into Pro Continental level. Interesting to see who their 6 domestic young riders will be, as well as the 4 new signings mentioned in the article I think Felix English has joined them.

mike cumings?

is what I hear
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • motorpoint not sponsoring the team anymore, Horton gone to Raleigh, looks like they will have a very strong team in the tour series next season, anyone know what the other motorpoint guys are up to?
  • i think they needed to cut their expenditure and by bringing in younger riders instead of some of the older guys they will have greatly reduced their wage bill

It certainly looks that way, but it doesn't fit in with the Sunday Times piece on them being one of the 50 quickest growing companies in the UK.

Although weren't Endura and Wiggle somewhere close to that list if not on it too?
  • Motorpoint team still looking for a new sponsor.

Malcolm Elliott says there's a couple of potential sponsors but nothing definite yet - fingers crossed.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... rship.html

Dave Clarke also without a team not to mention Dan Lloyd and Russ Downing.
  • m
  • lyn1

You can pick my lottery numbers......makes sense for Russ and Endura...with a strong UCI race programme based on last year's success and several other riders with previous Pro Tour team rides, plus many strong young riders who will gain from his experience.

http://www.velouk.net/2011/11/15/russel ... -for-2012/
  • lyn1 wrote:

You can pick my lottery numbers......makes sense for Russ and Endura...with a strong UCI race programme based on last year's success and several other riders with previous Pro Tour team rides, plus many strong young riders who will gain from his experience.

41, 42, 43, 44, 45 and 46 - if they win I want half the winnings though I think my luck may have ran out judging by those numbers. Brian Smith mentions on their website that it brings them closer to Pro Conti and hopefully we will see a strong team challenging at the Tour of Britain next September to challenge Team Sky for that ellusive British winner. I predict a British top 3 of Wiggins (Sky), Downing (Endura) and Cummings (BMC) - you heard it hear first.
  • lyn1 wrote:

41, 42, 43, 44, 45 and 46 - if they win I want half the winnings though I think my luck may have ran out judging by those numbers. Brian Smith mentions on their website that it brings them closer to Pro Conti and hopefully we will see a strong team challenging at the Tour of Britain next September to challenge Team Sky for that ellusive British winner. I predict a British top 3 of Wiggins (Sky), Downing (Endura) and Cummings (BMC) - you heard it hear first.

wiggins to win it? having just done the tour and olympics, my money is on him going on a massive bender to either celebrate a mega year or drown his sorrows