Brand groups: sharing data

J1TENSHA
J1TENSHA Posts: 7
I am trying to think of ways to improve the odds of finding and recovering a stolen bike. How to approach the problem? The standard answer is get lots of help by registering and posting. Yes, there are many folk who want to help. If nothing else it satisfies that need for revenge against the low life that took your bike. So, I give folk the information they need by throwing it into the pot, but my data is just a tiny element in a huge dump. Who apart from the owner would remember what they are looking for, or react if they saw the missing bike on the street?
That got me to thinking about that well known phenomenon; as soon as you buy one, you start seeing them everywhere. OK, it might not work for Halfords' specials, but for the more unusual brands if other owners could be recruited into a group there would soon be a sufficient force to notice the when and where of like bikes. Well, Bikeradar already has much of the information in its registration data base.
Could owners be given the option to share there data with other owners, say by brand?
If I have a bike I am proud of, I am quite happy for other folk to know about it!
Any thoughts? I haven't suggested a poll, I'll leave that to Bikeradar.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    there is no info like you are implying stored by BR.

but if you read the stickies in the stolen section there are already UK based sites for registering stolen bikes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Sorry, but you have missed my point completely.
    There are lots of places for registering stolen bikes.
    It is a matter of how to utilise that information effectively.
    Take a test yourself.
    Go to a site where stolen bikes are registered (bikeshepherd) and look at the top 5.
    Let 5 minutes go by. Now, how many of those details can you remember? If any, I would be surprised.
    Now, go to the same site and search for a particular brand/type that you know and love and take the same test. How many can you remember?
    Now, how do I find folks who own particular bikes legitimately and have registered?
    Any ideas?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I don't understand what you are asking.
    Now, how do I find folks who own particular bikes legitimately and have registered?

?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    J1TENSHA wrote:
    Any ideas?

you cant.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown