Wiggle sportive - Duncton crash

PostieJohn
PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
Does anyone know how the fella is?

Comments

• PostieJohn
    Oh that's horrid, my thoughts are with him & family.
    It looked serious, he would have been going pretty quick at that point.

We weren't part of the event, and going the other way, so were calling and gesturing 'slow down' to the people following.
    Worryingly, was the few who weren't even taking advise from fellow cyclists.
  • PostieJohn wrote:
    Oh that's horrid, my thoughts are with him & family.
    It looked serious, he would have been going pretty quick at that point.

We weren't part of the event, and going the other way, so were calling and gesturing 'slow down' to the people following.
    Worryingly, was the few who weren't even taking advise from fellow cyclists.

It's difficult to comment on events which I haven't witnessed.
    On a more general note, organisers have to do something to soften the competitiveness. it was discussed in a different thread last week. Stop publishing results and get rid of gold/silver/bronze standards
    left the forum March 2023
  • I am one of the 2 doctors who was with him at the scene. If his son or anyone has any details of how he is doing is able to get in contact, I would be very keen to hear. Wish him a speedy recovery.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    PostieJohn wrote:
    , organisers have to do something to soften the competitiveness. it was discussed in a different thread last week. Stop publishing results and get rid of gold/silver/bronze standards
    ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑
  • One of the Dr's who helped out was in my rdidng group and we waited whilst the injured man was treated. Was surpised and disgusted with the number of cyclists who were annoyed that they had to take a loop away from the route that would effect their times. A number even argued with the Police officer controlling the scene. I thought it showed a total lack of respect
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    edited October 2011
    One of the Dr's who helped out was in my rdidng group and we waited whilst the injured man was treated. Was surpised and disgusted with the number of cyclists who were annoyed that they had to take a loop away from the route that would effect their times. A number even argued with the Police officer controlling the scene. I thought it showed a total lack of respect

IMO, it goes to show that a lot of cyclists are as arrogant as the worst of drivers. :roll:
  • PostieJohn
    De Sisti wrote:
    PostieJohn wrote:
    , organisers have to do something to soften the competitiveness. it was discussed in a different thread last week. Stop publishing results and get rid of gold/silver/bronze standards
    ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑
    ?
    That's not my quote.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Blinsters wrote:
    One of the Dr's who helped out was in my rdidng group and we waited whilst the injured man was treated. Was surpised and disgusted with the number of cyclists who were annoyed that they had to take a loop away from the route that would effect their times. A number even argued with the Police officer controlling the scene. I thought it showed a total lack of respect

This does not surprise in the least.

There is a type of middle class rider who believes the road belongs to them.
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    I really don't get the idea of doing a sportive for time. The last one I did went past my mate's parents' house, so we stopped there, said hi, had a cup of tea. After about 40 mins we thought we should probably get going lest the broom wagon overtake us.

I understand competitiveness, but a sportive is not the place for it. Especially if it causes a lack of concern for another human life (which in fairness it shouldn't - it's called perspective!).

I hope the rider involved makes a full recovery. :(
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • PostieJohn
    I don't want to sound to much of an arse, but this thread was started for any news about the fellow cyclists obviously in a bad way.

There is another sportive/competition thread.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Funny how 1970s this comment actually sounds!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Gazzaputt wrote:
    Blinsters wrote:

This does not surprise in the least.

Only middle class cyclists? Arseholes come from all walks of life fella!
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Hope the guy recovers well, but the good thing is that being cyclist all he'll want to do is get back on his bike. I for one, would love to accompany him on his first ride back.

I took 8 years out of racing and got back into it at the tail end of the summer and am now enjoying 'cross. I can't think of anything more dreadful than a 5 hour, 160km death march on crappy roads with a table of Tesco tat and tepid, torpid "energy drink" to greet me.

I'll leave sportives to the real 'hard men' of the sport on their Sky identikit bikes. The sense of entitlement of some of them makes me ill.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Hope the guy recovers well, but the good thing is that being cyclist all he'll want to do is get back on his bike. I for one, would love to accompany him on his first ride back.

I took 8 years out of racing and got back into it at the tail end of the summer and am now enjoying 'cross. I can't think of anything more dreadful than a 5 hour, 160km death march on crappy roads with a table of Tesco tat and tepid, torpid "energy drink" to greet me.

I'll leave sportives to the real 'hard men' of the sport on their Sky identikit bikes. The sense of entitlement of some of them makes me ill.

Hate to blow your bubble here but a lot of these 'hard men' of the sport are crossing over into racing.

Look at the cat 3\4 fields these days.
  • PostieJohn wrote:
    I don't want to sound to much of an ars*, but this thread was started for any news about the fellow cyclists obviously in a bad way.

So, back on topic. Does anyone know how the chap is?
  • PostieJohn wrote:
    I don't want to sound to much of an ars*, but this thread was started for any news about the fellow cyclists obviously in a bad way.

So, back on topic. Does anyone know how the chap is?

+1
  • PostieJohn
    + 2 obviously.

Show a little respect/class.
  • The rider in question is a friend of mine, so firstly, many thanks to the two Doctors who attended to him at the scene of the crash.

As for his condition, his hip is broken and his pelvis is shattered. He underwent a six hour operation at the beginning of the week and also had a couple of blood transfusions. He was then scheduled to have another operation to plate his pelvis back together. He was not in a critical condition, but he´s obviously not in a good way and it will be a long haul back to recovery. He is in his 50´s, not in his 30´s as reported on the link.

All rather sad really.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Tough one. Well I do hope he mends well.
    As another 50 year old myself I know how repairs can take longer as we get older.
    I have had my share of scrapes but nothing as bad as described. Cycling can be ultra safe but as with everything, has its risks.
  • PostieJohn
    Thanks for the update.

To be honest as I past him I feared the very worst, so at least there's the worlds smallest minor consolation.
  • Thanks for the update. Please pass on my very best wishes.
    Matt (doctor who met him at the scene)
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Thanks for the update
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Sounds really bad.
    Hope he's OK.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I've emailed Wiggle to see if they can shed any light.

After all, it's their fault. Someone had to say it.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Hi Everyone - I am the guy who had the accident on the Wiggle ride on 23rd October coming down Duncton Hill. I going home tomorrow. I had a large degloving of my ride side/back between my pelvis and rib cage ( Morgan sports cars have sharp edges) and a fractured pelvis. I just want to say a massive thank you to the two doctors who tended to me at the scene. My name is Tony Baker and I live in Petersfield . Yes I was going too fast down the hill and just couldnt take the corner. My fault, I should have concentrated more on the road ahead and not gone so fast down an unfamiliar road. I apologise for having disrupted the race and caused the detour, which clearly affected riders results.
  • My injuries were not as serious as reported above. I had a six hour op to sort out the degloving (torn open flesh ). A second op to pin and plate the pelvis ( not shattered ). I am led to believe a hairline crack to hip. I am now in good shape, using crutches comfortably, no pressure allowed on right foot. I am very positive and I am looking forward to getting home and getting myself mended and ready to ride my bike again - when ?????????
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Thanks for the post/update Tony. I can't believe how stoical you are being (are you sure those drugs haven't worn off yet :wink: ), top bloke.

Just to add my best wishes on your recovery, please come back and post an update when you have your first spin out. I suspect that will be at least 3 months from now but, hey, who wants to cycle in the winter anyway :)
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    Glad your on the mend from what sound pretty serious injuries to me!I'm sure most of us at some point have taken a bend or gone downhill a bit faster than perhaps we should have&gotten away with it.Sometimes it can be a soft landing sometimes not.Speedy recovery.
  • PostieJohn
    Good stuff, Tony.
    I'm really pleased your on the mend.