Do I need new wheels?

rrsodl
rrsodl Posts: 486
edited October 2011 in MTB general
My Carrera Subway 2 is still doing the job for me over the winter, I hardly use it at other times. I noticed that most spokes have become rusty - disappointed with that as I expected stainless steel spokes on all wheels in this day and age.

The rims themselves look fine so I'm wondering if I should get my LBS to fit new spokes or perhaps it makes more sense to spend the cash on new wheels.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Many budget bikes do not have stainless spokes I am afraid. Surface rust is of little consequence, but if it has penetrated then the spokes should be replaced.

However this is costly - a new wheelset maybe a better idea.
  • Try a bit of wd40 and wire wool first and apply elbow grease. If that cleans it up then great if not then I agree with supersonic.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Nip into tesco and get some scotchbrite pads, if they don't bring them back up to shine then you might want to start thinking about replacements. But tbh I'd be amazed if this doesn't work, your spokes would have to be properly rotted for it to become an issue.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    I'm disappointed that folk are still buying cheap budget bikes from Halfords - in this day and age.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Why is that? Apart from the spokes (and stainless spokes are absent on bikes well up to the £1000 price point), the Subway is a good bike for the money.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    AndyOgy wrote:
    I exist on a little cloud of smugness.
    FTFY
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Northwind
    AndyOgy wrote:
    I'm disappointed that folk are still buying cheap budget bikes from Halfords - in this day and age.

And just what would you recommend, at this price point? Or should people just not buy bikes unless they can afford to spend more?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    Especially when your link's strapline is 'promoting cycling for all'
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    Thank you all for the advice.

I have some wire wool in the garage so I'll give it a go first, however, the spokes are black so I guess they will go silver......

I was looking at some wheels in CRC and Mavic has some with steel spokes.....I guess if they were stainless they would say so. However, there are some shimano wheels for less money with stainless steel spokes and similar weight.
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    Ok, retracted.

It probably is just about the best bike available for the money. I just had a bad afternoon with an Apollo and spent the rest of the day cursing Halfords.

A lot of their bikes offer exceptional value for money. I just wish they were a bit more consistent with their build quality.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    AndyOgy wrote:
    It's the biggest market and makes money for them.

"Proper" bikes are in the minority. People want something that looks like a bike, preferably with something that looks like a suspension, front and rear, and they want it for peanuts. Ideally best suited for storing in the shed and maybe seeing use a couple of times riding along pavements and dropping off the kerb onto the road with no lights in the dark.
  • Northwind
    AndyOgy wrote:
    It probably is just about the best bike available for the money. I just had a bad afternoon with an Apollo and spent the rest of the day cursing Halfords.

To be fair, they are s**t.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    Except the Subway is a hybrid, and is actually a really decent bike. Excellent for what it's designed for.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools