Advice needed on shortlist- new bike

pingtiao
pingtiao Posts: 11
edited October 2011 in MTB buying advice
After this thread I've been trying to pick a bike.

My 2001 Kona Manomano FS got nicked which has turned out to be something of a bonus as the insurance company have decided I can have £1300 worth of bike/accessories at wheelies or a paltry £1K cash to spend where i like.

I've not been out too much of late, but have moved to Bristol and have loads on my doorstep and would love to get back into it. I mostly ride XC, very rarely do anything too hardcore.

I'm happy to have a hardtail instead of a FS, as I think I'll get more bike for my money.

Wheelies seems to have a bit of a limited range, but the best I can see is

Genesis Core 50 2011 (Current favourite)

specialized stumpjumper comp 2011 Seems to be low spec but highly thought of.

Scott Scale 50 2012

Or these two 29ers. Never ridden a 29er, and feel the uniformity of all the bike shop workers' advice smacks of fashion to be honest. Entirely willing to be wrong!

Cannondale Flash 29er

Felt Nine Race 2011

Ot take the £1K and buy something like

on-one whippet carbon SLX

Boardman HT Pro 2011

I think it is between the Genesis Core, Stumpjumper and on-one whippet.

I'd really appreciate advice as I have been out of mountain biking for ages. This is a good apportunity to get back in with a beautiful bike and one I could never afford to buy if it was being purchased outright. I know I should demo all these but I realistically won't. I'll be happy with whatever I end up with, but I don't want to sell myself short and get something inferior for the money.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    I would not say the Stuntjumper is a low spec !!!! The Reba is better than the Recon, X9 is equivilant to XT and X7 to SLX, it also has a tried and trusted frame.

For the likes of Ashton Court and the Forest of Dean it would be fine.
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !