I feel like selling my bike and giving up!

Miss Pootle
Miss Pootle Posts: 49
edited October 2011 in Campaign
Out for a nice Sunday ride with better half. A car pulls up close to me and the occupant (didn't see whether was passenger or driver) shouts "You should be on the f***ing pavement, mate!" so loud he makes me wobble. I shouted back that I had as much right to be on the road as him and let him know that I thought he was a tool. I bet he's the exact kind of person who would tell me to get off the pavement if I was on it (not that I would) and who would walk on a shared use path with a dog on an extender lead. WTF am I supposed to do? I will never be as fast as a car going up a hill, even if I try really, really hard. Why can't car drivers just wait a couple of seconds until it's safe to overtake? What irritates me even more is that it was on a Sunday - who on earth needs to rush anywhere on a Sunday and why are there more cars on a Sunday than on a normal weekday?

Comments

• I'll support your campaign to sell your bike and give up.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • Sometimes it's like that, other times going for a ride is fantastic. Hopefully the good times make up for the bad ones.

Hope you have a good ride soon.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    F the haters man. If everyone who for instance used the bus or a bike instead switched to using a car to get to work he'd still be p*****. He just doesn't like other people mate. It's not your fault. Do your own thing and F everyone else.

Keep riding.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Why on earth would one tool make you want to sell your bike and give up. Who give's a 5h1t what he thinks, keep riding.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,480
    Just ignore, I've found that is the best way to deal with them. They can't be in much of a hurry if they have time to stop and shout.
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    Head down, carry on pedalling.
  • It just happens once every couple of years, I suppose, but it is still gutting when it happens and you realise there are so many idiots in charge of a deadly one-ton weapon. I should not let them get a rise out of me really, 'cos that's more dangerous. :oops: I suppose it's easy to forget about all the times when I wasn't quite ready to push off at a mini-roundabout, say I was in too high a gear, and someone let me go anyway. And really it's the motorists that just don't see you that you should worry about more or the bus drivers that pull out as you are in the process of going past them. :x
  • Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    I had a group of boys in a car follow me and take turns to shout 'Buy Road Tax'. I shouted back 'OK.'

Next time any one tells you to do anything agree then don't bother (this works in all situations out with cycling too, work, relationships, financial). It's alot easier than going into a protracted explanation of how you can't go on the pavement (it's against the law) and how they're breaking the law by distracting other road users unnecessary.

At the end of the day they wanted a go at someone because their life is built on making themselves feel good by making others feel bad. It's called Bullying. They succeed when you react like you do. By agreeing their rage is rendered impotent.

If they call you on you saying one thing but doing another just tell them your life is a constant battle of trying to live up to their moral example which only renders failure.

Mx
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Out for a nice Sunday ride with better half. A car pulls up close to me and the occupant (didn't see whether was passenger or driver) shouts "You should be on the f***ing pavement, mate!" so loud he makes me wobble. I shouted back that I had as much right to be on the road as him and let him know that I thought he was a tool. I bet he's the exact kind of person who would tell me to get off the pavement if I was on it (not that I would) and who would walk on a shared use path with a dog on an extender lead. WTF am I supposed to do? I will never be as fast as a car going up a hill, even if I try really, really hard. Why can't car drivers just wait a couple of seconds until it's safe to overtake? What irritates me even more is that it was on a Sunday - who on earth needs to rush anywhere on a Sunday and why are there more cars on a Sunday than on a normal weekday?
    You have to grow a second skin when you're cycling. There's always some idiot out to ruin your day's enjoyment. F**k him I say, and develop a 'don't care' attitude. Gets me through.
  • terryowen
    terryowen Posts: 139
    a car full of young lads shouted at me get road tax,i shouted back ive got a car and a van both taxed,so pee off you aholes.the end.
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    mute point anyhow
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I just wave in a really camp way and say Hiya! As though I can't hear what they are saying and think they are just being friendly.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    ^^^ :D
    Peter