It does say daft questions...

sophidog
sophidog Posts: 180
edited October 2011 in The workshop
Have been out of the cycling loop some 40 years so excuse the folllowing please. Bought a Cannondale CAADX from a large chain recently, yes I'm at that age where i can treat myself, and after it was delivered i noticed that where the Presta valves poke through the rim there was no locking nut to keep them still. I seem to remember that they were de rigeur back in the days. I emailed said large chain a few days ago & it seems that now they've got the money they don't have the time....
Surely the valves should be locked into the rims, shouldn't they?

TIA

PS they only have 5 letters to their name and sound like a plural...
Road: Rose CDX-3000 Cannondale CAADX 105 2011
Turbo: Fuji Nevada Mountain Bike(Y2K)

Comments

• Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Some dont have the lock nut. Some aren't threaded at all, are your valves threaded?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I don't use them and there seem to be mixed views about using them
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    The nut is only there to stop the valve disappearing into the rim when you try to attach the pump. It's not necessary except on high volume tyres.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • sophidog
    sophidog Posts: 180
    yes the valves are threaded but i suppose that unless the tyre is almost flat the pressure in the tube should keep the valve still. It would have been nice if the supplier had responded though. Now to try and get those wheel reflectors off without damaging the black spokes. I suppose they're a legal requirement though these days.
    thanks for replying folks, i'll stop fretting now.
    Road: Rose CDX-3000 Cannondale CAADX 105 2011
    Turbo: Fuji Nevada Mountain Bike(Y2K)
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    sophidog wrote:
    Now to try and get those wheel reflectors off .

Just smash them with a hammer and they should fall right off.

(Don't smash them with a hammer)