Geox Cycling Team's future in doubt

Doobz
Doobz Posts: 2,800
edited October 2011 in Pro race
Via http://inrng.com
The future of the Geox-TMC team looks to be in doubt. The squad’s management have been filing paperwork with the UCI but I understand that when the matter of depositing the bank guarantee for the 2012 season arose the sponsor Geox has refused to provide the necessary funding. Without this the team cannot continue.
cartoon.jpg

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    Are people blaming Gianetti yet?
  • Doobz
    Are people blaming Gianetti yet?

UCi was clear that the reason Geox did not get a license is because they did not field a strong enough team

Some more info here

http://inrng.com/2011/10/geox-team-future-in-doubt/
    cartoon.jpg
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    I still can't understand why Geox switched from Lampre to Gianetti at the end of last season.
  • Now announced that Geox are quitting.
    Have a look at www.velonation.com
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    I bet Guiseppe Saronni is pissing himself tonight.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    There's a rumour that Cobo will go to Saxo Bank.

A team should be able to snap up some good bargains.

The whole situation is quite odd. The relationship between the sponsor and the team must be non-existent. If it is a Gianetti problem, someone should've managed him out.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Odd indeed and quite depressing.
    Another sponsor pulls the plug, early.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Cycling - growth in popularity, massive opportunities/markets.

Sponsors, bailing out left, right and centre.

Shame.
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    To be fair, with all thats going on in the Euro zone it's hardly a good time to be putting up cash for a cycling team.

In the bigger picture some of these companies could well be having their overdrafts called in by the banks as it were, and may need to keep a bit of cash tucked away.
  • Doobz
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Doobz wrote:

It's all Greek to me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Doobz

It's all Greek to me.

Sorry, yea... The internets.. Complicaterd
    The news that the company Geox goes from cycling, and the corresponding command, in fact, ceases to exist, has stirred up public velosportivnuyu. Geox-TMC riders of today are free from contractual obligations and may be looking for new teams, and among them - Denis Menchov. Despite the fact that journalists and fans have almost been accepted into the ranks of Dennis "Katyusha", he denied that opportunity. On his plans and prospects Denis said in an exclusive interview for VeloLIVE.com

- Denis, how did you react to yesterday's news of the termination of sponsorship of Geox?

- Reacted quite calmly. Still, I worked in this team for a whole season, and from the very beginning everything went wrong, so that the catch could be expected at any moment, there were bells. But in reality, nothing terrible happens, life does not stop there.

- Management team somehow associated with you?

- Yesterday, we all have sent urgent e-mails, which reported that Geox has not provided a financial guarantee, and we were not able to provide documents to obtain a license. In principle, this means that the team will cease to exist. Hope can only be that in ten days, a miracle there a sponsor, and then be able to apply for a license Pro Continental team.

- From the company Geox this decision in the last day of filing for a license is very unique, almost like a dirty trick.

- It's not meanness, but it's done by people who do not have the slightest idea of ​​cycling, do not represent what the implications might be for their decision. And, of course, absolutely ugly. But let it remain on their conscience. Some of the riders I've heard, is going to sue, but I will not.

- What are your next steps?

- I've already started to negotiate with other teams. Now, I'll calmly consider all options. Somewhere osyadu.

- This is the top division team?

- Of course.

- A lot of rumors that you can finally sign a contract with the Russian "Katyusha".

- Yes, I'm too much of all read about it online, but I must say that this is not true. No contract did not offer me, and when they write about some terms of the agreement, I do not even know what was going on. So, most of all, my future team will be foreign.

- Your condition at the conclusion of the contract remain the same? I mean the transition with you and Dima Kozonchuka Mauricio Ardily.

- Yes, it is my priority condition. And all the teams know it.

- But if suddenly a miracle happens, and Jeanette find a good sponsor and again will offer you a partnership? Do you agree?

- Everything will depend on time if at that time with anyone I do not agree, if I do not have a contract with another team, then why not? I have since had a contract with them, he still is, and this contract is very good conditions. I intended to follow out.

- Hopefully, you find a job no problem.

- Actually, I am absolutely calm. All that is done, all the better, so they say?
    cartoon.jpg