Angle offset headset and shorter stem? . . .

LAUNCH69
LAUNCH69 Posts: 119
edited October 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi there,
I currently ride a 2008 Rockhopper.It has a review and Spec Sheet here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... c-08-29417

I have always felt a bit stretched out on it when seated and struggle to keep properly bent arms. As a result the saddle is slammed as far forward as possible on the seatpost (layback) as possible.
I read a mag article on bike set up and they recommended putting your elbow on the nose of the saddle and reaching towards the bars. Apparently a normal xc reach would result in your longest finger being half way down the stem. My finger just about gets past the steerer . . .
I am looking at getting a shorter stem. i know that an inline post would help but a dropper seatpost is in the future and i don't think any of them come in an inline version. My current stem is 70mm, I am thinking of getting a 50mm replacement. Would this create any problems?
Also I am looking for more descending stability. My Headangle at the mo is 70.5 according to the review. Works components make a 1deg offset headset for my headtube. Has anyone tried them, or have any advice on whether this would be beneficial?
My riding is mainly 'trail' - normal allround MTBing. Climbing, descending, singletrack and rubbish little steps and jumps. However I am starting to lean more towards the descents.
The reach is only an issue when seated, when it gets a bit tech I stand up and drop the saddle (riding a hardtail makes this naturally happen!).
I am looking at improving what I have as my budget does not allow for a shiny new steed. Child no.2 arriving in Jan has made sure of that.

Any help/comments appreciated.
Cheers,
Si
Specialized Rockhopper

Bike is still better than the rider . . .

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    change the stem and also look at wider bars. this will give you more control. forget the headset for now.

but it does sound like the bike is too big.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • LAUNCH69
    Thanks Nicklouse,
    I already have Easton Haven Bars - 711mm I think. Do you think that a 50mm stem will cause any issues?
    Specialized Rockhopper

• Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    edited October 2011
    The shorter stem will not cause any issues, I would also trawl ebay for a cheap inline post as that will bring you in a tad more over the top tube, also bars with a insweep will help.
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    short stem and wider bars

this might be just a little more rise on the bar

Most DH bars are a little too flat for HT's like that
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Dont get wider bars, they will increase your reach rather than shorten it. It sounds like your bike is too big for you. Try an inline post aswell, rather than the stem, I think theres quite a few dropper seatposts that are inline (gravity dropper, rockshox reverb, ks)
  • LAUNCH69
    Thanks for the replies.
    So the general consensus is to get the 50mm stem and an inline seatpost.
    I will do some research into inline dropper posts ( I fancy the reverb but I thought it was layback only).
    What about the headset? Is it worth kicking out my forks a degree?
    Specialized Rockhopper

• nicklouse
    in a word NO.

for the money of a angled headset and a dropper seat post a new, may be correctly sized, frame might be a better Idea.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    LAUNCH69 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies.
    So the general consensus is to get the 50mm stem and an inline seatpost.
    I will do some research into inline dropper posts ( I fancy the reverb but I thought it was layback only).
    What about the headset? Is it worth kicking out my forks a degree?

The headset will slacken the headangle marginly, however that's all it will do and if the cockpit feels to long then it won't help.
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Well, it does move the bars back a couple of mm ;) But not enough to be noticable really. Nick is spot on- don't spend money to make your frame fit, spend money to get a frame that fits.

Also does sound like you're pushing the bike a little outside of its design envelope- dropper post, wide hardcore use bars, short stem, thinking of slacking it...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • LAUNCH69
    Aye you're right,
    Probably getting carried away . . . :oops:
    Thanks again for the advice, I'm going shopping for a stem :D
    Specialized Rockhopper

• nicklouse
    LAUNCH69 wrote:
    Aye you're right,
    Probably getting carried away . . . :oops:
    Thanks again for the advice, I'm going shopping for a stem :D

see how it feels with a shorter stem.

But also consider the frame.