Winter shoes/boots for flat pedals

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
edited October 2011 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking for some shoes or boots that will keep my feet warm and dry on muddy winter runs. There seem to be quite a few choices that are for SPD's but not so many for use with flats.

I have Sealskinz socks BTW but I'm looking for a shoe that doesn't soak up loads of water that I'll have to cart around.

Any recommendations?
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Not many on the market then? :(
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    I just use my 5:10's. wear waterproof socks and a thin pair of merino socks for extra warmth. Never had cold toes yet, and ridden down to around the -6/ -7C mark. After that travelling got hard with Snake and Woodhead being shut so never got any riding in in the real cold stuff of last year.
    I have the Karver version, with the flappy thing which helps deflect some of the mud and water- but they still end up soaked after a ride...
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Take a look at Shimano DX or AM40 which have a velco panel that goes over to keep water out...I use the DX with sealskins as they hold up OK unless its lashing down as water always runs down your legs into the top of the socks...you really want dry feet ? over trousers and over shoes.
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • I used to use waterproof socks but last year decided to see if there was something better (i.e. more waterproof). My LBS recommended some Lake shoes which are like wetsuit material. They seemed to do the job of keeping my feet dry. Best to buy them at a bike shop if you can - the sizing is weird. I take 10s normally, 11s in some style of shoes. I had to buy 12s in the Lake's.

I am not sure of the model number - I checked Lake's site and none of them look quite the same. Mine are a "boot" style though. The wet suit material comes up the ankle & stops most of the water running down into the boot from your legs.

Keith.
  • I've got some Teva Links and had some AM41s. The AM41s helped stop the water getting in a bit better but it still managed it and I carted around the extra weight for the rest of the ride. With my Tevas they let water in fairly easily but they don't soak it up, the coating that they use really seems to work well. I prefer the Tevas to the AM41s
  • Stevo_666
    Thanks All.

Should have mentioned I have a pair of 5-10's (Sam Hill jobbies), so while the Sealskinz keep my feet pretty dry, the shoes are a bit of a sponge. I'm tempted to go down the overshoes and leggings route as that may be more cost effective and see how it pans out.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    AM41s and Sealskinz... an excellent combination for flats - used them all last winter.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building