waterproff sockk /boots?

souljacker
souljacker Posts: 54
edited October 2011 in MTB buying advice
Just got back from a ride and after going through a few puddles my feet got soaked, anyone recommend some good waterproof socks, boots ot shoe covers?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sealskinz
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Holyzeus
    Holyzeus Posts: 354
    +1
    Have a pair for riding and one for work
    Nicolai CC
  • cheers, i'll have a look at sealskinz, any particualr place to get them cheap?
  • Never see them cheap, Google them for the usual lowest porice search result.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Someone has last year's? (what changes I don't know) on sale, trying to remember who.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bigj205
    bigj205 Posts: 31
    Another vote for sealskinz
    Go Outdoors had then well discounted recently, worth a look
    Cheers

John

Offroad: Turner 5 Spot, The all mountain machine !
    Kona Kula Gold XC race bike.
    On Road: Planet X SL Pro Carbon, SRAM Red
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    I have Sealskinz gloves and socks and in the wet they're absolutely the best thing you can have to keep you dry, they work 100% and i still maintain they're one of the best investments i ever made.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Sealskinz are great...

Incidentally I just got a set of the Gore waterproof socks and they're absolutely horrible. Probably very waterproof though, but useless at being socks.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Seal Skinz work.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I had a pair of seal skinz and they were absolute rubbish. Yeah they are waterproof but you'll need to look after them properly to maintain that for any more than a couple of uses. My main gripe is that they weren't even close to being foot shaped and just felt like a couple of bags on my feet. Only plus point was that they were slightly warmer than normal socks. For me they were a complete waste of money. This year I'm trying my luck with overshoes for commuting in the wet.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • +1 for sealskinz

They are a weird shape but keep your feet warm and dry(providing water doesnt go over the top of them)

Had mine for years and still work a treat although i wish they had a sealed opening
    Focus Cayo Pro
    Cotic Soul custom
    Merida Cross 4
    Planet X Dirty Disco custom cyclocross
    Tern D8 clown bike
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    oodboo wrote:
    My main gripe is that they weren't even close to being foot shaped and just felt like a couple of bags on my feet.

I can relate to that but when mine are on my feet and wedged between feet and shoe I never notice any difference from a normal sock.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Agree with everything above.

Sealskinz, they don't fit like normal socks (not stretchy? I assume because of the membrane) but they do what they're supposed to.

I think the Gore ones are just the membrane, they assume that you'll be wearing normal socks under them. Although I always wear normal socks under my sealskinz.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • -1 for Sealskinz

Once the water runs down your legs they fill them with water, trench foot isn't fun.

I vote for waterproof over shoes and carry a couple of spare pairs of socks to change mid ride if it's a long ride
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    John Moore wrote:
    Once the water runs down your legs they fill them with water, trench foot isn't fun.

Mine don't :?
    Uncompromising extremist