bicycle saftey project

jendesign90
jendesign90 Posts: 4
edited October 2011 in Commuting general
Hi there,

I am currently in the process of design research for my university project in Product Design. I am looking for keen cyclists to kindly give me 5-10 minutes of their time to help answer my following questionnaires.

My project brief is to design a product to do with bicycle safety, so I have selected a few questions that will help me gain an insight into the issues already out there.

Please no time wasters as this is towards my degree

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GXL37ZR ( quantative survey of 10 yes/no answers)

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PNQZZLP (a more in depth qualatitive questionnaire)

Any help is much appreciated

Thank you

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    How about more barriers to stop pedestrians stepping out?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • what I'd really like to see is a jacket that can be worn on a daily basis but that is reflective to car lights. so you could wear it out and not look like an idiot, but still be safe on the rides home
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    We're getting an awful lot of these lately. Has some lecturer somewhere handed out bicycle safety coursework or something?

None of them ever see any further response from the OP either....
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • rob0070
    rob0070 Posts: 60
    Thats SAFETY Jenny, who is at uni ????
  • Ok thanks rob0070 for that, I have re written my post as I have realised it sounded crap to say the least.
    Desweller I appreciate your comment, yes this is a method that a lot of students are being told to do, mainly because it turns out to be a fantastic way of gaining feedback effectively and most importantly quickly. The information people are giving back is really helpful in all sorts of ways

Thank you mtbboy101 and Asprilla, that’s a great comment that I can include in my findings :)

Thanks again to anyone whose followed the link, had some great feedback already

Jenny
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    define protective clothing?

I would also choose something on both function and price and occasionally all three.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Asprilla wrote:

They've only just removed most of those along places like London Bridge and around big junctions like the one in Brixton! Apparently to improve cyclist safety - to stop cyclists getting crushed up against them by HGVs etc...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • asprilla
    Asprilla wrote:

They've only just removed most of those along places like London Bridge and around big junctions like the one in Brixton! Apparently to improve cyclist safety - to stop cyclists getting crushed up against them by HGVs etc...

I don't undertake when they are there, but then I wouldn't go inside an HGV or bus at a junction anyway. Actually I wouldn't generally do an HGV if it was moving.

However, I've had three offs in the last three years and two of those have been down to pedestrians stepping out. Biggest problem out there.

Another big improvement in cycling safety could be brought about by enforcing existing legislation such as mopeds / motorbikes in cycle lanes, bus lanes and ASLs.

Apart from that I don't know what to add. I've got a helmet (benefits of which can be argued, but not here) and I've got lots of lights which I find much better than reflectives (especially in poor weather).

Perhaps indicators would be useful but I don't think anyone would look for them. Generally I would think you need more education about cycling to both drivers and cyclists.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Asprilla wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

I don't undertake when they are there, but then I wouldn't go inside an HGV or bus at a junction anyway. Actually I wouldn't generally do an HGV if it was moving.

However, I've had three offs in the last three years and two of those have been down to pedestrians stepping out. Biggest problem out there.

Another big improvement in cycling safety could be brought about by enforcing existing legislation such as mopeds / motorbikes in cycle lanes, bus lanes and ASLs.

Apart from that I don't know what to add. I've got a helmet (benefits of which can be argued, but not here) and I've got lots of lights which I find much better than reflectives (especially in poor weather).

Perhaps indicators would be useful but I don't think anyone would look for them. Generally I would think you need more education about cycling to both drivers and cyclists.

Oh I agree with everything you say about railings... Peds are a nightmare, esp at busy junctions when the traffic is slow moving and they just run between vehicles. Also railings were handy to lean against whilst clipped in... However railings are steadily being removed it seems...

I also agree re ASL enforcement.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Hi there,

Please no time wasters as this is towards my degree
    Completed with randomly stupid answers. I wouldn't have if you hadn't said this.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Asprilla wrote:

That's a given - but the reverse can happen (as it nearly did to me this morning). Truck/bus overtakes then realises that he needs to be back in "my" lane before he's finished passing me. As I remember from my days commuting in Cambridge (we don't really have buses up here), many a bus would overtake then immediately pull in at a stop. I did also have plenty of peds step out on me too - especially as the centre of Cambridge was "semi-pedestrianised" at the time.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • asprilla
    Asprilla wrote:

That's a given - but the reverse can happen (as it nearly did to me this morning). Truck/bus overtakes then realises that he needs to be back in "my" lane before he's finished passing me. As I remember from my days commuting in Cambridge (we don't really have buses up here), many a bus would overtake then immediately pull in at a stop. I did also have plenty of peds step out on me too - especially as the centre of Cambridge was "semi-pedestrianised" at the time.

Oh absolutely. It's a bit of a no win scenario really.

There are a number of places where buses do this to me with alarming regularity and the only safety device I can think of for that scenario would be one of those plastic hammers with the metal cone tip you have for smashing bus windows to make emergency exits. One of those would come in bloody useful for attracting attention sometimes.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Asprilla wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Oh absolutely. It's a bit of a no win scenario really.

There are a number of places where buses do this to me with alarming regularity and the only safety device I can think of for that scenario would be one of those plastic hammers with the metal cone tip you have for smashing bus windows to make emergency exits. One of those would come in bloody useful for attracting attention sometimes.

I chased a bus driver around the bus depot once (much to the amusement of his colleagues - hopefully made them think twice next time though) - it was a good job I didn't catch him!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Hey everyone,

I cannot say Thankyou personally to you, as your surveys are confidential but I have had some amazing feedback, more than I expected! Some great answers and ideas.

Many thanks

Jen
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Mtbboy - There is kit available thats black in normal daylight - but lights up under car headlights ? Illuminite I think its called. I've some black winter gloves that are massively reflective under headlights, and I think Castelli have used it too.

It should be used more I think - if you look at the price you pay for cycling kit and a fair bit of it hasnt got any reflective properties.