Technical Advice - Lifts

Redhog14
Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
edited October 2011 in The bottom bracket
Not to work but in work - I am having to upgrade the elavator in my building, does anyone want to provide free advice? Can pay you in cakes...

PM me if you know what you are tlaking about..

Take the piss if you don't but keep it on the forum...but not too much cause it is very distracting and this is serious, man.

Comments

• de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Check out this or this.
  • Redhog14
    De Sisti

cheers, I have quotes from Schindlers, Kone and a local dealer so am comparing them at the moment, OTIS however have been next to useless in turning up unnanounced ro not bothering to respond at all so have given up on them after several attempts!
  • Schindlers Lift????

I'd give that a wide berth (see what i did there).
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Redhog14 wrote:
    Not to work but in work - I am having to upgrade the elavator in my building, does anyone want to provide free advice? Can pay you in cakes...

PM me if you know what you are tlaking about..

Take the wee-wee if you don't but keep it on the forum...but not too much cause it is very distracting and this is serious, man.

What is nature of upgrade?
  • Redhog14
    Schindlers Lift????

I'd give that a wide berth (see what i did there).

Dodgy name I wouldn't want to get shafted...

Thanks Cleat figured you might be the one to come up with the first witty
  • Redhog14
    upgrade to controller, lift car interior and shaft - one quote says I have to meet lots of new regs and the other 2 ignore them completely, not comparing apples with apples unfortunately...
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    Schindlers are everywhere, have you tried Pickerings Lifts?

They too are a big outfit
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I almost wet myself when I realised I was in a Schindler's Lift in a hotel last year. Never heard of them before that.
  • Redhog14
    kev77
    cheers I will give them a call.
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Otis are s**t, they 'completed' some work for one of my sites in a previous job. But didn't which left us in breach of LOLER when next inspected by Zurich.
    Thyssen Krup are s**t. They installed a new lift car and controls on another site, but it broke down after 13 months and we discovered that it was a spanish built lift that because of company politics could only have spares ordered through TK (France) because TK (Spain) would not talk to TK (UK) it took a string of emails to the TK board to get this resolved.
    Schindlers are ok
    Kone are ok, if a little slow in completing repairs
    Pickerings are ok
    Stannah are ok for small installations

if you want me to look at anything PM your email address.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • schindler are what we are using on our east london sports venue. good service allround far better than thyssen krap.

you willneed to comply with EN 81 or the install will not get signed off by the lift inspector and your insurance company. most of the changes are to lighting levels and alarm call stuff .
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    Tell people to use the stairs?
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    Orona lifts will probably the cheapest, steer clear of Schindler they are a nightmare to work on.
  • Soni
    Soni Posts: 1,217
    Redhog14
    Redhog14

Redhog, you looking for a lift company to carryout a refurb?

I recommend you consider an independent company, they will fit generic off the shelf.equipment maintainable by any lift company, all the majors will tie you in to closed protocol systems, I work for the largest family owned independent in the UK, we are a national company, let me know if you require further info....
  • pease
    pease Posts: 150
    Another vote for orna, I've also used ce lifts and otis. They all come from the same italian factory as do most new lifts in the uk.
    Insert witty signature here
  • Soni
    Soni Posts: 1,217
    edited October 2011
    pease wrote:
    Another vote for orna, I've also used ce lifts and otis. They all come from the same italian factory as do most new lifts in the uk.

Only partially true.

I've surveyed different types of installs by Orona, some were of the cheap package style mrl (machineroomless) type similar to the kone mrls, these type don't come from the same Italian factory that you refer to and neither do the kone installs either, however I've also surveyed some decent installs whereby they've fitted Sassi gears in a conventional top drive traction 1:1 roped configuration style setup...

Independent lift companies buy the equipment in from different suppliers, the controller will probably be one of the leading British companies (mentioning no names) the door gear will probably be sourced from a UK agent but ultimately an American company who manufactured (mentioning no names but this is the best) and then the. gear unit most probably being of the Italian type, and yes the indepents may use the same suppliers, and the equipment is bespoke to the environment that its intended, however these mrl type packages from some of the other installers I've seen the same lift on a 2 story building and a 12 story building, make your own mind up on this.....

You don't get otis or kone installing the Italian gears, they manufacture and use their own.....

The gears aren't the problem, its the closed protocol autodiallers or REM systems that's the problem if you want to tender te maintenance you will need to replace with commercially available open protocol units at about 1200 per unit.....
  • There really is no limit to the experience and expertise on this forum.

I take my hat off to all the contributors here.

Now, how should i lube my chain?
  • Redhog14
    Soni

If you just mentioned the names it would make it easier for me!

I am using an independant at the moment who fitted an Italian made lift controller, they went bust and now the agent can't source the numerous spare parts we need, the original desing was poorly specced, not the agents fault more the project manager did not know what he was doing.
    I have used Kone and OTIS in the past and am keen on their supply line gaurantees but if you want to PM me the name of your company please do.