Shibden Wall, Halifax Lane and Cragg Vale in one yesterday

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
I nicked the Polocini Over t'Tops route off their website and rode it on my own.

Glad I did as the chances of me getting up Shibden without hitting another rider would have been slim I bet!

Anyway, really happy that I made it up these hills non-stop as until now I've stopped on most of the big climbs I've attempted - either due to fatigue or because someone else in front stopped unexpectedly.

I also found another mad climb (after getting a bit lost) near Shibden called Rosemary Lane (close to Siddal and Southowram). Try it if you fancy a challenge!

Cragg Vale was pretty easy though - I expected that to be a lot tougher..,

Comments

• rodgers73 wrote:

Yeah, it's not that steep, just pretty long. What time did you go over the top? They were holding a hill climb on there at 1400 (I think) yesterday that I fancied watching, but I didn't get a chance.

Some very nice riding around here, glad you enjoyed it.
  • polocini
    polocini Posts: 201
    Hi Rodgers,
    I dropped Halifax Lane out of the route on the day as I thought it was too much. So fair play to you. And rosemary lane is a good one.

When I ride the route I take this road instead of Exley Lane. It would never work on a sportive but with a couple of mates it's fine http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/54700180
    This gives you the cobbles through 'Bottoms' and the fantastic cobbles of Whitegate. Then Rosemary Lane which is a killer.

I'm glad you liked the route, I'll be changing it a bit next year as it didn't flow well enough between Shibden Wall and Halifax Lane. It had a few compromises.

My favourite though is Kegs and Legs THE YARD http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/34041110
    The best route I have ever designed.

Cheers
    AL
  • hmbadger
    hmbadger Posts: 181
    Polocini wrote:
    Hi Rodgers,
    I dropped Halifax Lane out of the route on the day as I thought it was too much. So fair play to you. And rosemary lane is a good one.

When I ride the route I take this road instead of Exley Lane. It would never work on a sportive but with a couple of mates it's fine http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/54700180
    This gives you the cobbles through 'Bottoms' and the fantastic cobbles of Whitegate. Then Rosemary Lane which is a killer.

I'm glad you liked the route, I'll be changing it a bit next year as it didn't flow well enough between Shibden Wall and Halifax Lane. It had a few compromises.

My favourite though is Kegs and Legs THE YARD http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/34041110

Cheers
    AL

Looks good - suspect that if I managed that at all, I'd be absolutely shattered. I struggle on Holme Moss if it's into the wind. Meant to try one of your sportives all year, but always seems to clash with something.

Quick question though - I;ve gone over tops either Diggle-Marsden a couple of times. Also like Greenfield-Holmfirth. But you prefer the Denshaw route? Hoes does that compare?
  • I find the climb up to Buckstones from Denshaw pretty easy. Not steep at all and the wind is usually with you. The road is usually pretty quite as well and the views from the top of Buckstones are great, especially when the paragliders are out.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 wrote:

Yeah, it's not that steep, just pretty long. What time did you go over the top? They were holding a hill climb on there at 1400 (I think) yesterday that I fancied watching, but I didn't get a chance.

Some very nice riding around here, glad you enjoyed it.

Probably about 3.30 when I started up there so I did see you guys. Was particularly impressed with one guy in full Spesh aero gear!
  • seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    rodgers73 wrote:
    I nicked the Polocini Over t'Tops route off their website and rode it on my own.

Glad I did as the chances of me getting up Shibden without hitting another rider would have been slim I bet!

Anyway, really happy that I made it up these hills non-stop as until now I've stopped on most of the big climbs I've attempted - either due to fatigue or because someone else in front stopped unexpectedly.

I also found another mad climb (after getting a bit lost) near Shibden called Rosemary Lane (close to Siddal and Southowram). Try it if you fancy a challenge!

If you climbed Rosemary Lane without stopping I'm impressed, the last 20ft before the junction feels vertical, Cragg Vale is easy, Shibden is easy, try Brookfoot Lane at the other side of the hill opposite The Red Rooster for a challenge.

Or the local killer the A649 Birkby Lane out of Baliff Bridge.

Try commuting daily in these parts, there's always a hill to climb :D
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • polocini
    polocini Posts: 201
    hmbadger-It's not really what I prefer. It's about getting the course right for an event. Sometimes you ride a course and you have to go on a really crap road to get to the good bits. It's nice when you avoid that. That's what I was describing about the Over'Tops route. I had to link up two 'good' bits and it didn't feel right.

My favourite ride in that area is over Isle of Skye to Holmfirth. But I couldn't get that to work properly in my sportive routes.

AL
  • rodgers73
    seataltea wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:

If you climbed Rosemary Lane without stopping I'm impressed, the last 20ft before the junction feels vertical, Cragg Vale is easy, Shibden is easy, try Brookfoot Lane at the other side of the hill opposite The Red Rooster for a challenge.

Or the local killer the A649 Birkby Lane out of Baliff Bridge.

Try commuting daily in these parts, there's always a hill to climb :D

I know google street view isn't the best guide to how steep a hill is, but Brookfoot Lane doesnt look that bad. I came down Southowram Bank while briefly lost, which I bet would be a sod to climb back up! Also, Range Bank was a short sharp shock.

Dont know what I was on yesterday - was climbing hills easier than ever. Must be the jelly babies...
  • rodgers73
    Polocini wrote:
    Hi Rodgers,

Cheers
    AL

Polocini wrote:
    hmbadger-It's not really what I prefer. It's about getting the course right for an event. Sometimes you ride a course and you have to go on a really crap road to get to the good bits. It's nice when you avoid that. That's what I was describing about the Over'Tops route. I had to link up two 'good' bits and it didn't feel right.

My favourite ride in that area is over Isle of Skye to Holmfirth. But I couldn't get that to work properly in my sportive routes.

AL

I liked the contrast between grim and depressed Oldham and the nicer scenery on the other side of the hills. Also, the weather was typical for Oldham/Manchester when I set off (foggy and drizzling) and once over the M62 itr was sunny and bright.

I know what you mean about a transition between two parts of the ride. Thats how it felt from Queensbury - Mount Tabor - Halifax Lane. Still enjoyed it loads though.

If its any use to you Cycling Active had a good route around Hebdon Bridge a few issues ago that took in a load of the cobbled streets in that area. I'll be riding that in the next few weeks.