Forks

wolfridgerider
wolfridgerider Posts: 6
edited October 2011 in MTB general
How should i store my Fox 36 160 TALAS FIT RLC' I've been told to store them upside down is this correct. :?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    why? leave them on the bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Can't think of a logical reason as to why you'd do that :?
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i heard or read somewere it keeps your seals from drying out if the bike is being stored longterm..
    cant say i every stroed mine upside down though...
  • bennett_346
    Or just lube the seals now and again, which you should do anyway if you're looking after your forks properly.
  • windup
    windup Posts: 9
    Yes, store upside down to allow the fork oil to lubricate the seal. But, then again, the instructions for my brakes are to store them upright (Avid Elixir). I therefore store my bike suspended by the front wheel so that its neither upside down nor upright :?
  • bennett_346
    windup wrote:
    Yes, store upside down to allow the fork oil to lubricate the seal. But, then again, the instructions for my brakes are to store them upright (Avid Elixir). I therefore store my bike suspended by the front wheel so that its neither upside down nor upright :?
    :roll:

Riding the bike will lubricate the seals a million times better than storing it on its side, and isn't both a) stupid and b) likely to cause the brakes to need a bleed sooner than later.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just ride the thing and you don't need to worry about it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • What's the reason for storing it?
  • cooldad
    Blasted slow fingers again.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • fox do say in the manual to try and store the forks upside down. i never bothered when i had my floats, i just made sure i left the bike upside down for a few minutes before a ride.
  • cooldad
    I think 'storing' forks might mean something different to what you think you think it means.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I've also read that you need to do this every now and then to keep the foam washers lubed.
  • bennett_346
    I've also read that you need to do this every now and then to keep the foam washers lubed.
    Nah.
  • What about winter and storing the bike in an out cupboard, Talking about -0 temperatures will the forks and brakes be ok?
  • bennett_346
    downs523 wrote:
    What about winter and storing the bike in an out cupboard, Talking about -0 temperatures will the forks and brakes be ok?
    Yep
  • I've also read that you need to do this every now and then to keep the foam washers lubed.
    Nah.

Taken from the Fox website:

FOX Racing Shox forks feature a sealing system designed to keep your fork moving smoothly in all conditions. There are two parts to the system: the fork seal and the foam ring. The fork seal features a proprietary scraper lip geometry that keeps dirt out and oil in. The foam ring sits just below the fork seal. It is saturated with oil and in turn applies oil to the upper tube as it passes by. This keeps the fork moving up and down smoothly.

While FOX Racing Shox forks are designed to require minimal maintenance, periodic inspection and cleaning of the fork sealing system is required. It is normal on FOX forks for a small amount of oil and/or grease to accumulate on the upper tubes. This is necessary to keep the fork working smoothly and to keep dirt out. Furthermore, fork seals are grease packed at the factory. This grease tends to migrate out of the seals during the break-in period.

Storing the bicycle upside down and inverting the fork allows oil to run down to the foam rings and keeps them lubricated and ready for your next ride.

To check the conditions of the seal and foam rings, perform the following procedure
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    Storing the bicycle upside down and inverting the fork allows oil to run down to the foam rings and keeps them lubricated and ready for your next ride.

Oh right, so we're supposed to take Fox's word against a plethora of Internet Experts?! :roll:
    "Coming through..."
  • :lol::lol::lol:

That's what I thought. :roll: :lol:
  • cooldad
    But they're Fox, need to be serviced after every second ride, so what difference does it make.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    Doubt they'd explode in a ball of flames and pillage your street if you left them the right way up.
  • cooldad
    Worse.
    earth_impact_3.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Doubt they'd explode in a ball of flames and pillage your street if you left them the right way up.

Probably not but the OP asked if you should store them upside down. The answer (according to the chaps that make them) is 'yes'.

A pair of 36's that came on a 2nd hand bike I bought had stantion wear on one side. When I stripped the fork the foam washer on the worn side was dry as a bone. Even though many of you seem to think it's a silly idea to follow Fox's advice I'd do it if you want the forks to last.
  • FBM.BMX
    FBM.BMX Posts: 148
    Flipping the forks upside down ensuring the foam rings get a good soaking is good practise, as above, fox recommend it.

it also gives the bushes a good lubing.

Demonstrated here is why-

http://www.mojo.co.uk/drywet.html

Dry foam rings do a poor job of cleaning the stanchion, wet foam rings do a good job of cleaning the stanchions and lubing the wiper seal.

Putting your fox forks upside down is all win win, silly not to bother.
  • bennett_346
    FBM.BMX wrote:
    Flipping the forks upside down ensuring the foam rings get a good soaking is good practise, as above, fox recommend it.

it also gives the bushes a good lubing.

Demonstrated here is why-

http://www.mojo.co.uk/drywet.html

Dry foam rings do a poor job of cleaning the stanchion, wet foam rings do a good job of cleaning the stanchions and lubing the wiper seal.

Putting your fox forks upside down is all win win, silly not to bother.
    Alright then...