What bike to go for between £1,500 - £2,000?

JohnBoyUK
JohnBoyUK Posts: 206
edited October 2011 in Road beginners
I have been riding my Specialized Allez Elite for just coming up a year now and as I love road cycling so much and it plays a huge part in my life now, I'm going to buy myself another bike. I've raised £1k in the last couple of weeks by selling stuff I dont need and I'm going to put the rest on interest free finance.

So the main decision now is what bike to go for?

I originally fell in love with a Felt AR5 for £1,300 on Wiggle but they sold out before I could get one, so struggling to make my mind up now.

On the short list so far:

Specialized Tarmac Comp SL2
Cannondale Supersix 105
Pinarello FP2
Colnago Ace
Cube GTC Agree Race

If you had the choice, what would you go for and why? Are there any other bikes I should be giving serious consideration?

The main riding I'm doing is solo rides, club rides and Sportives.

Comments

• All good bikes. Choose the one you like to colour of and the one that fits you best after testing riding ;)
  • Ultimately the only real answer is to buy the one that feels best on your test ride. For others that are worth a look, the new Giant Defy Composite, or a 2011 Defy Advanced if you can get it discounted as end of line stock. Alternatively, my good road bike is a Lapierre Sensium, which is rather good. Both those options are designed more for long distance sportive-type riding than racing, which may or may not be a good thing depending what geometry you prefer.
  • EarlyGo
    EarlyGo Posts: 281
    JohnBoy,

Have you considered Titanium? Lightweight, beautiful smooth ride, looks great, lasts a lifetime, no corrosion etc, etc.

I recently bought a Van NIcholas Euros, full 105, carbon seatpost and RS20s from Fat Birds and it was well within your budget.

If not, then for me the Cube Agree GTC is the stand out bike on your list.

Regards,

EarlyGo
  • JohnBoyUK
    After much reading, deliberation and debating, I've gone for the Cube GTC Agree Race. £500 off from the original RRP so very happy man.

Was considering going for the Agree SL, the model up with a mix of Dura Ace and Ultegra but for the 200g difference and another £350 in the price bracket, I didnt really think it was worth it.

Just need to sort out some pedals and shoes now :)
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Did you get a chance of a test ride/bikefit?

Nice looking bike that Cube, btw :)
  • JohnBoyUK
    I'm quite fortunate that I live a couple of miles from Sidcup Cycles in SE London and they had the Agree Pro (the model down) in a 58cm frame and they allowed me to give it a quick whizz around the block. Very happy with my choice.

Strangely, my current ride, a 2010 Allez Elite was a 56cm and the Cube is a 58cm but feels like almost an identical riding position. My understanding of bike geometry isnt great tbh but someone can probably explain that one.
  • esspeebee
    esspeebee Posts: 174
    Quoted frame sizes are generally the seat tube length, but what makes the bigger difference to riding position is angles and top tube length. If you take two identical frames, but shorten the seat tube slightly on one, angling the top tube downwards slightly to compensate, then you've got the same riding position on a 'smaller' frame. The only real difference is that you've got more seatpost exposed.
  • Cannondale
  • Congrats from another Specialized to Cube convert. I've just upgraded from a 2010 Secteur Sport to a 2011 Agree GTC Race. Like you I got a decent end of season discount.

Regarding the sizing I've also gone from a 56cm in the Spesh to 58cm in the Cube so don't be alarmed at all. The horizontal top tube length on the Cube is actually less than the Spesh and therefore I have a longer stem on the Cube. The only real difference in the riding position is the fact that the Cube's head tube is shorter so I'm a bit lower, which is a good thing.

You'll love the bike. I did a 57 mile club run on mine on Sunday and it flew. One thing to watch out for though are the Schwalbe Ultremo ZX tyres. On wet autumn roads I found them to be a little bit lacking in grip on corners, but this could be just needing more running in. I also picked up a rear puncture due to a small stone first time out. I'm considering putting on Gatorskins and leaving the Schwalbes until next Spring.
  • JohnBoyUK
    aspender wrote:
    Congrats from another Specialized to Cube convert. I've just upgraded from a 2010 Secteur Sport to a 2011 Agree GTC Race. Like you I got a decent end of season discount.

Regarding the sizing I've also gone from a 56cm in the Spesh to 58cm in the Cube so don't be alarmed at all. The horizontal top tube length on the Cube is actually less than the Spesh and therefore I have a longer stem on the Cube. The only real difference in the riding position is the fact that the Cube's head tube is shorter so I'm a bit lower, which is a good thing.

You'll love the bike. I did a 57 mile club run on mine on Sunday and it flew. One thing to watch out for though are the Schwalbe Ultremo ZX tyres. On wet autumn roads I found them to be a little bit lacking in grip on corners, but this could be just needing more running in. I also picked up a rear puncture due to a small stone first time out. I'm considering putting on Gatorskins and leaving the Schwalbes until next Spring.

Oh Aspender, that post has made me feel better. Having run the geometry past those in the know in my club, they were all convinced the 58 was the right choice.

Have already got Fulcrum Racing 5s on my Allez so will probably just switch them over with the cassette for the time being.
  • JohnBoyUK
    Well, what can I say.

The Cube turned up on Friday afternoon at 3pm, just before my daugther got home from school so only got to take it around the block until yesterday, on the club run.

What a difference to riding the Allez. I had a smug grin on my face all round the 40 mile club run yesterday and the fellow clubbers were all drooling over it :D

The 58cm frame is a perfect fit for my 6ft frame and I feel very much in the same position on the Allez. Such a smooth ride, no vibrations, gear changing is a joy with Ultegra in comparison to the Tiagra I was used to. Absolutely cracking ride.

Have now affectionately named her Hayley after the ever so delectable Hayley McQueen on Sky Sports News, so I can legitimately say I was riding Hayley all yesterday morning and can confirm that she goes like the clappers. Happy Days indeed! :D
  • my advice is to chose a frame you're happy with. Everything else can be upgraded/changed over time if it niggles......the frame always stays!

I went for a Kuota Kharma when i got mine for this reason......beautiful bike! and within your budget