Does anyone still make a large single sided SPD pedal?

DanTheMechanic
DanTheMechanic Posts: 3
edited October 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys.

Back in the 90s when DMR started making the original V12 pedals they also made an SPD compatable bracket to fit on them. At the time I thought it was pointless but now I could really do with them.

I'm currently using shimanos single sided M324 pedals but the platform side is to small and has sod-all grip.

In the morning im planning to butcher a pair of Bonty big earl pedals for their outer cage and make a M324/big earl hybrid pedal. Before I do this I was wondering if anyone knows of any brands making a modern version similar to DMRs original V12 SPD?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    WPD-996.jpg

Wellgo WPD-996

Or

WG5.jpg

Wellgo WPD-WG5

Or

WAM-D10.jpg

Wellgo WAM-D10
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Brilliant,thank you.
    I don't know why more brands don't make something like this. There must be loads of other riders who like to do a bit of dirt jumping during a ride.
    Thanks again.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Brilliant,thank you.
    I don't know why more brands don't make something like this. There must be loads of other riders who like to do a bit of dirt jumping during a ride.
    Thanks again.

Yep! It's frustrating. I use the same Shimano pedal but I've taken a file to the flat side to sharpen up all the "spikes".
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Wellgo WPD-996 - hmm, interesting..

In a quandary about my impending DH bike; Do I stick with SPDs or do I go flats?

now there's a third option :?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • nicklouse

In a quandary about my impending DH bike; Do I stick with SPDs or do I go flats?

Flats.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • felix.london
    Yeah - I'm kind of coming to that conclusion too.

Trek Session 8
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    nicklouse wrote:

Flats.

Why? Most of the DH racers are able to and do use both. Crank Brothers Mallets are popular in the paddock because of the big platform, pins and ability to clip in when wanted.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse wrote:

Flats.

Why? Most of the DH racers are able to and do use both. Crank Brothers Mallets are popular in the paddock because of the big platform, pins and ability to clip in when wanted.

again personal preferances.

been there done both and keep the SPDs on the XC and the road. Flats and 5:10 on the rest.
  • felix.london
    I think that's the way to go

In my experience something that tries to do two things never does as good a job as something that is designed to do one thing well

Trek Session 8
  • CharlieH
    CharlieH Posts: 410
    nicklouse wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Flats.

again personal preferances.

been there done both and keep the SPDs on the XC and the road. Flats and 5:10 on the rest.

^^^^this^^^^ I changed to this set up in Jan and haven't looked back despite using spd's since 2003