Ayups?

little wiser
little wiser Posts: 662
edited October 2011 in MTB buying advice
HI i know these are supposed to be good lights but not as good as the deal extreme ones but i have a magicshine on my bars but would like more light!, so have been looking at the ayup kit v4 looks good but expensive.
The lights will be used every day in all weathers so being reliable is a must what you all think?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd just get another magicshine or a torch personally. I don't think any big brand 'bike specific' lamps are worth the money.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    The Ay-ups are well worth the money.I have a magicshine on the bars and Ay-ups on the lid.My only regret is not buying the full MTB kit and only buying the road(ie one set) kit :cry:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    +1 for ay ups - had mine or 4 years, no hint of a problem...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    No issues with mine since buying nearly 3 years ago.

Light, bright, very reliable and easy to use.

It does seem alot to spend, but you won't regret it on your first night ride...
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • Thanks for your comments, i have a magic shine and it has been ok run time not great but it has started to turn it self from full power to off at the most annoying moments :shock: .
    My wallet says deal extreme but my head says ayups i like the idea off the reliable side of the ayups allthough maybe not as bright as the magicshine.
  • ibbo68 wrote:
    The Ay-ups are well worth the money.I have a magicshine on the bars and Ay-ups on the lid.My only regret is not buying the full MTB kit and only buying the road(ie one set) kit :cry:

So if you brought again would you have gone for what ayup say for beam choice with the v4 kit?
    Or would you go magicshine etc?
  • TimZ
    TimZ Posts: 1
    I got the double pack. I use them every day in flash mode or solid mode for commuting. They're very light so you don't notice the weight on your head. Off road they've got plenty of throw, although as you know you can get other much more powerful lights.
    They've been rained on, hailed on, covered with mud - no problems. Battery life is 3-6 hours on full (2 sizes of battery) which is useful. A lot of powerful lights have less and need heavier battery packs.
    The cool thing is that you can send them back to AyUp to get the latest LEDs retrofitted & the Amperage increased (see their web site).
  • supersonic
    Why not try a torch? Cheap, up to date LED tech, totally rebuildable and work very, very well. Beauty is you can carry spare cells.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Why not try a torch? Cheap, up to date LED tech, totally rebuildable and work very, very well. Beauty is you can carry spare cells.

This is still a maybe just looking at the moment but i am a tart!. This is where the ayups come in.
  • supersonic
    Paint it red haha! The Ayups are one of the better of the big names as are built well, but for me still too much for the output really. Depends where you place the value.
  • Red how did you quess :lol: .
    Do you think a magicshine on the bars and a torch on the head would be enough?
  • sniper68
    ibbo68 wrote:

So if you brought again would you have gone for what ayup say for beam choice with the v4 kit?
    Or would you go magicshine etc?
    Ay-up.
    I'm going to buy the other pair this winter :wink:
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I agree with super a couple of torches at 11 quid - more light, more efficiency than the ayup, then spend the £250 that you save on some bike bling.

PS your mode jumping is going to be due to a loose connection. check the wires.
  • sniper68
    diy wrote:
    I agree with super a couple of torches at 11 quid - more light, more efficiency than the ayup, then spend the £250 that you save on some bike bling.
    Tried torches and they're worth,well,£11 :wink: .The clue is in the title..Torches.Wrong beam spread/pattern.If you want cheap'N'cheerful go for torches,if you want bike lights then buy bike lights.
    As for efficiency my Ay-ups have gone over 7 hours continuous on one charge,my Cree torch never gets anywhere near.
    Torches are OK for road use but I ride out in the Peak District actually riding down big hills so it's bike lights for me 8)
  • sniper68
    edited October 2011
    diy wrote:
    You bought the wrong torch then.
    Really?
    Every "what lights"thread I just sit back and wait for DIY to say"you don't need lights......" :wink:
    You obviously like torches as looking at your avatar you have at least 2 strapped your bike...2-4? If I strapped 2-4 magicshines/Hope4s to my bike it'd illuminate the trail like a rally car :lol:
    I've tried 5 or 6 and they're all...Torches and in the long run a false economy as they're simply not in the same league as the majority of bike-specific lights.
    Mate uses one of the new 900L jobs from deal extreme and it's,well still a torch :wink: and no where near as bright as the (alleged 900L)magicshine 8) and it eats batteries.
    You stick to your torches...eventually you'll see the light,pardon the pun :D
    To get back to the OP he asked about Ay-ups(not torches) and a couple of us who actually own Ay-ups gave him our verdict :wink:
  • ddraver
    Sonic and diy must have shares in Magicshine... :roll: :wink:

My mate had a couple of torches, they lit up he ground like a nuclear explosion, but unfortunately they only lit up an area the size of a dinner plate about 200 yards away, It was great fun!
    - @ddraver
  • supersonic
    In the end it is what works for you and your budget. Even DIY and I like different set ups with the torches ;-). But it is about getting the right torches, which is why the stickies we have are limited to just a handful of tried and trusted models.

I've tried/tested, seen data and beam shots of dozens of lights. But I will go back to my torch set up as I still think they are better for my use (which includes big hills in the peaks ;-)).

The models I use have a vast flood, with a good graduation from the hotspot. On full whack last about an hour - this maybe a problem for some, but I just take spare cells, and can always drop down to medium settings. Even on medium the double set up I have is only just a little less bright than the Ayup on full.

I can see why people like Ayups - small, light, well made and good battery options. But they will never be for me when just two of torches comprehensively beat it for output, and I prefer the beam pattern.
  • supersonic
    Here are beam shots of my 2.8a max P7:

p7max2.jpg

p7med.jpg

p7min.jpg

From high to low. As you can see, quite a flood!
  • Chalky76
    Chalky76 Posts: 260
    the ay ups are also really adjustable, with effectively four beams of light. They also seem to run for ever.

I think i read somewhere that if you get a few people interested and make a bulk order you can get a decent discount on them too?
    ride your bike like a kid whilst you still can

Transition Blindside = http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceychalk/5335403095/
  • Thanks for all your answers again, didnt want to start a internet war over ayups and deal exterme though :lol: .
    Got to say the people with the ay ups seem to love them though and this helps sway me a little.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Nobody can dispute that they are running LEDs that are 5-6 years old. LED tech moves along similar lines to PC CPU tech. Cool, well made, clever they may be. bright, good value and efficient they are not. Even compared to other branded lights they are not as good for the same money.

I don't run torches because I'm on a budget, I run them because you do not need to spend £300 on lights. But if someone said, forget the money its free, I still wouldn't go ayup, I think there are better options out there for similar money. Troutie would get my vote, Troutie is not that far behine ayup in terms of scale and his lights are a hell of a load better.
  • ddraver
    You ve really got a bee in our bonnet about this have nt you? :lol:

You re like dennisn and Moray Gub with Lance Armstrong!
    - @ddraver
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Ayup are really nicely made, good company to deal with, really effective beam pattern... They just cost too much, and don't make all that much light. Not entirely their fault, they're relatively low volume so keeping up with LED developments is pretty hard, most of the light companies' natural position is at least one step or more behind the curve. The economics of it are against them. But they (like most of their competition) are still selling you old tech at a premium price.

I'd never dream of buying one over a T6 or MJ872. T6 has an excellent powerful spotlight, if that's what you want (divides opinion) but still throws more light in its halo than an Ayup V2 on flood mode. MJ872's flood is brighter on half power than an Ayup on flood at full (and has longer battery life)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Dear god not this again.
  • sniper68
    diy wrote:
    Cool, well made, clever they may be. bright, good value and efficient they are not.
    I don't run torches because I'm on a budget, I run them because you do not need to spend £300 on lights.
    In what way are they not efficient?Over 7 hours run-time is not efficient? (and mine are 4 years old) My Magicshine burns out in half that time.
    You're right you don't HAVE to spend £300 but what if you WANT to spend £300?£300 on the grand scale of things is not a lot of money.If you're spending£2/3/4K a year on biking then what's £300?
    You like your torches not everyone does.
    BTW I paid £150 for my Ay-ups £150/4=£37.50 a year.I spend more than that on chocolate :roll:
  • diy wrote:
    Nobody can dispute that they are running LEDs that are 5-6 years old. LED tech moves along similar lines to PC CPU tech. Cool, well made, clever they may be. bright, good value and efficient they are not. Even compared to other branded lights they are not as good for the same money.

I don't run torches because I'm on a budget, I run them because you do not need to spend £300 on lights. But if someone said, forget the money its free, I still wouldn't go ayup, I think there are better options out there for similar money. Troutie would get my vote, Troutie is not that far behine ayup in terms of scale and his lights are a hell of a load better.

Now i have looked at trout lights but you only get one light for around the 300 quid mark not helmet and bars. Although they look nice :D .
    To be honest i want to buy something put them on my bike and helmet and just ride not keep worrying about if the can handle the weather etc and how many amps etc they draw.
  • Eranu wrote:
    Dear god not this again.

? have i upset you buy asking about ayups? :D
  • supersonic
    To be honest i want to buy something put them on my bike and helmet and just ride not keep worrying about if the can handle the weather etc and how many amps etc they draw.

You don't build the torches, they come ready assembled and weatherproofed! ;-)