Can DLSRs go upto 100fps?

bluechair84
bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
edited October 2011 in The hub
I thought I'd read somewhere on here of a user who had done a few vids on his DSLR at 100fps (though it might have been pinkbike). Looking on the Canon website though, nothing goes over 60fps. Sonys only seem to do 30FPS and my Olympus doesn't even take video!
Is there one? Or do we wait for the technology to trickle down.

Comments

• Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    not even the high high end stuff shoot 720 or 1080p over 60fps, and the question standards, why would you need it. 60fps is plenty in even low light.

FujiFilm used to make this
    http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital ... index.html

up to 1000 fps for really slow motion stuff!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Simple answer, NO.
    Slightly longer answer, No, DSLRs do not shoot at 100fps.
    Long answer... see above.
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    100Hz is only useful for slow motion. Memory cards and the speed of the sensor and processor are the limiting factors.

I imagine a proper video camera will be better in this respect.
  • Anonymous
    gilesjuk wrote:
    Well, yes, since DSLRs don't do it at all.
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    gilesjuk wrote:
    Well, yes, since DSLRs don't do it at all.

FACEPALM
  • Anonymous
    EXACTLY :lol:
  • bluechair84
    Ah well, and there the dream dies. I was sure I'd read of someone filming on a DSLR at 100fps.
    I was reading about how DSLRs excel because their large sensor creates a narrow depth of field. The partner and I have a pair of cameras and we're considering changing the bridge to another DLSR, and I might put a little extra in for something that can shoot footage seeing as Olympus ommitted it from my E-series.
    So any ideas which DLSR is handy at 60fps?

And I'm sure someone will say 'why not just buy a camcorder?' - simple answer, it's cheaper to replace the bridge with something that can do both.
  • Anonymous
    Why do you want 60fps?
    For a given level of light, you will need twice the gain at 60fps as you do at 30, which leads to more grain.
    Generally speaking, 60fps footage is interlaced anyway, so you really gain nothing over 30fps.
    And, European video standard runs at 25fps, and has done for a long time.

Currently, the king of DSLR video, is the Canon eos5D, but Sony's A77 due out any day now, may change that.
    It won't have the full-frame sensor of the 5D, but it will have full time fast autofocus, and being a Sony device, is highly unlikely to need switching off after filming 20 minutes of video.
    Oh, and remember that with shallower depth of field, comes a greater need for focusing accuracy.
    If you've got a nice fast (wide aperture) lens, for example, you may find that the range of in-focus area can be as little as a couple of inches - Filming with such lenses is no longer such a point-and shoot affair!
  • bluechair84
    60FPS for slowing action down. I'd take it on rides to coincide with the kodak which will do the job for frame / helmet footage. But if we're to have a new DLSR one that could take some good riding footage would be a bonus. We can't afford a high end camera though.
    It's a good point that shallow DoF requires more accurate focussing, I hadn't thought of that.
  • bluechair84
    /\ Ooh the A77 looks lovely. I'm sure there will be plenty of pros pissed to see auto HDR in the hands of the amateurs :D Way out of our budget though.
  • Anonymous
    Auto hdr has been in the hands of entry to mid level photographers for years, thanks to Sony. Pros don't care. Sony's hdr system is subtle though, and only increases, well, dynamic range, rather than create weird fantasy art style shots. And it only does it on jpgs, the RAW files are unprocessed.
    Aaaaand, expect the A77 to cost in the region of £1,200 for the body.
  • bluechair84
    Yup, saw some prices for the US. I didn't realise they had autoHDR before now though. And though a good photo is about framing and getting up when the sun is low but I thought HDR was a pro only thing. I've tried my hand at it a few times with below mid to low to levels of success. Some of yours in the photo thread are terrific. And you're not concerned that the expertise of the photographer is being diminished?
  • Anonymous
    No. Hdr has nothing to do with the expertise of a photographer. Besides, the sensors, and the RAW files from mid range Sony already had dynamic range far in excess of jpg limitations, and actually as much range as some top-drawer modern dslrs. But, the photographer is what makes the difference.
    (unless you're talking about very low light, fast shutter, no flash photography, in which case you're going to need the likes of an eos5D or a Nikkon D3, regardless of what marketing nonsense says)
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    Canon 7D should do it for you . 60fps Weatherproofed Magnesium Body perfect for outside video shoots

That'd be My choice , though the 60D looks pretty useful too, angled view screen as a bonus.
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • bluechair84
    grumble grumble grumble (they're expensive :cry: )

Think I'll trying using our Sony bridge and see how the DoF comes out on that and if it is better for panning shots than the handheld Kodak. I'll have to wait for the tech to come down to the entry DSLRs before it's available to me - or I get a promotion which ain't going to be for a few years yet.

/\ as for expertise of the photographer - layering up HDR photos (before I'd learnt of photoshop's autoHDR function), playing around with alpha and exposure is something within a skilled photographers remit, not a home user. And the price of photoshop puts the ease of auto HDR out of reach of the home user too. What I'm getting at is, prior to HDR being a built in function of the camera, it was quite hard to get right. I'm surprised you say that automating this in-body hasn't changed the playing field or pressurised pros in anyway (I'm not really questioning your opinion, just expressing surprise (clarified cos tone is usually misread on these forums)).
  • Anonymous
    You don't need PhotoShop for hdr. You don't need slrs for hdr. I used to do it with a bridge camera, and the free GIMP editor. It really isn't hard, all you need is a tripod.
    The addition of it in Sony's dslrs hasn't "changed the playing field", at all, and it DEFINITELY hasn't "pressurised pros". To claim such a thing is to completely miss the point of why a pro is a good photographer.

Anyway. Video is available in almost all entry level dslrs now, there's definitely no need for a 60 7, or 5D if all you want is to shoot video.
  • bluechair84
    You don't need PhotoShop for hdr. You don't need slrs for hdr. I used to do it with a bridge camera, and the free GIMP editor. It really isn't hard, all you need is a tripod.
    The addition of it in Sony's dslrs hasn't "changed the playing field", at all, and it DEFINITELY hasn't "pressurised pros". To claim such a thing is to completely miss the point of why a pro is a good photographer.

Anyway. Video is available in almost all entry level dslrs now, there's definitely no need for a 60 7, or 5D if all you want is to shoot video.

But by being able to use the software though, you are already ahead of the average user. I can't stitch panoramics together, I've not the patience or software skills. But the Sony takes bloody amazing panoramics for me!
    I'd love to try filming with a DSLR for its narrow DoF, and I slow down a lot of footage taken on the Kodak. I'm going to start experimenting with our Sony bridge and mash up footage from each. I'm certainly not thinking of buying a top end SLR. I'm just curious about their potential.
  • Anonymous
    I'll repeat this, because it's becoming aggravating. it REALLY isn't difficult to stack images. For god's sake, there's millions of simple walkthroughs on how to do it, it is not beyond any photographer with a computer.
    Panoramics are even easier. Select the photos you want to include in it, and tell windows live photo gallery to create a panorama.

But if you have some kind of mental disorder that prohibits your ability to perform simple tasks, or are just allergic to learning or even trying new things, then just give up, and go and try something less involving, like watching a tv someone else switched on for you. But don;t try and change the channel, you might give yourself an aneurism.
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    I'll repeat this, because it's becoming aggravating. it REALLY isn't difficult to stack images. For god's sake, there's millions of simple walkthroughs on how to do it, it is not beyond any photographer with a computer.
    Panoramics are even easier. Select the photos you want to include in it, and tell windows live photo gallery to create a panorama.

But if you have some kind of mental disorder that prohibits your ability to perform simple tasks, or are just allergic to learning or even trying new things, then just give up, and go and try something less involving, like watching a tv someone else switched on for you. But don;t try and change the channel, you might give yourself an aneurism.

Way to go Yeehaa... an excellent reply in your indomitable style, a most superb rant, out of the blue :lol:
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Back to OP, Twixtor was probably involved. Hundreds of 200fps etc. videos on the net taken on 550Ds/7Ds and the like at 60FPS then stuck into Twixtor.
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    Photomatix is free, capable of use by anyone and will handle all your HDR processing for you.
  • bluechair84
    well... sure. Yeah I can stick HDR into adobe Photoshop and have it do it for me. Yeah I can stick some crap pictures into software to make it great for me, are you missing the damn point that these things used to be the remit of skilled professionals and are now automated in camera?? But this wasn't the focus of the thread - I was merely curious at what price point fast FPS footage came with DSLRs as I was struggling to find anything. Answer - the top end.

Anyway, done some filming on the Sony today. Footage in 720p at 29fps or there abouts. Looked very nice apart from in one shot where the camera focused on nothing at all.
    video
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    You dont need the top end 7/6/5D Canons to shoot 60fps, the mid range 550D & 600D shoot 720 @ 60fps.

Tried some 60fps stuff on my 600D, it looks quite good in slowmo but like Yeehaa says the 60fps makes things a little grainy, nothing hideous though and its hardly noticeable when you're focusing on the action within the film. kind of wish I bought the better version of GoPro camera for it too, I opted for the slightly cheaper 960 version that doesnt shoot 60fps in HD over the 1080 which shoots 60fps in HD.