What trail bike frame...

edrussell
edrussell Posts: 7
edited October 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hello all. It's yet another - what should I buy question.

I have/had a Pace 405 built up with a revelation 150 fork, and xt end kit / carbon stuff hanging off it.

It's snapped :-( Basically the downtube has completely sheared in half (and not on a crash but a rather sedate ride - not sure what happened there) so I'm going to take all of the bits and build up a new bike, but I'm not sure what frame to put it on.

What do I want?

I've been getting into slightly bigger jumps and drops etc. So I'm liking a bit of extra travel (150 for now but maybe 160 ish when I've got more money for bits). I do most of my riding in UK trail centres so I have to pedal up the hills so it needs to be lightish.

I'm quite taken by the SB-66, though I'm also tempted by something carbon.

What's good, what should I try to get a ride on?

No real budget. I'd like to spend as little as possible but I'm getting resigned to spending up to 2k on the frame...

Ed.

Comments

• 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    I would consider the Giant Reign or Reign X frameset. Both are light for their class, and climb pretty well. Also, the Maestro suspension is very good. I think that you can find review on Bikeradar for both.

Cheers.

PS, links for both

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bik ... 323/44751/

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bik ... 036/51151/
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Obviously I'm a fanboi, but, if you can find a new Cotic Hemlock they really are bloomin superb... Manage not to feel like "too much bike", while still being stupidly capable. Nothing amazing or magical about the design or construction, just really good geometry attached to really nice suspension.

Other usual suspects... Five, Zesty, Blur, etc etc. Blur carbon or Mojo if you must spend the budget. TBH you could get a complete bike that'll do exactly what you want very well, for less than your £2000.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • S Works Enduro Carbon frame?
    Giant Reign X?
    Trek Remedy 9.9?

£2k for a frame gives you a fair range to chose from to be honest.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Slightly bigger jumps and drops? How big? If you're riding uk trail centres then surely the jumps and drops are small?

Buy a decent hardtail, with the cash you've saved you can go on a skills course and learn how to ride it properly. Then you won't have to worry about it snapping when you land.
  • DCR00 wrote:
    Yeti 575

Wot he said.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    edrussell wrote:
    I'm quite taken by the SB-66, though I'm also tempted by something carbon.

Ed.

They do a Carbon version.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Tomac Vanish
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=46088

Or if your a large frame....then this is an absolute steal...the Devinci Hectik
    http://www.freeborn.co.uk/devinci-2010- ... frameset-1
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Thanks all - apart from styxd. My riding and landing is fine - I actually have no idea how it snapped, it wasn't a duff landing as it was round cannock and there really isn't much round there to launch off... Slightly bigger means just that, not a 10ft gap but some uk black run features.

Anyway...

I found the Remedy 9.9 for 2k. Tempted to take a ride. I'll look into the cotic, and I'd discounted the giant in my head for some reason. And a ride on the Tomac. Lots of testing coming up :-)

Thanks all.
  • tofu21
    tofu21 Posts: 359
    Have a play on a mojo HD and see what you think.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I like the look of the new Ragley G6 but, as it's a Ragley you'd probably have to wait 6-12 months before the frame is available.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • The Nukeproof Mega might work too or Santa Cruz Driver 8.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Thanks all - apart from styxd. My riding and landing is fine - I actually have no idea how it snapped, it wasn't a duff landing as it was round cannock and there really isn't much round there to launch off... Slightly bigger means just that, not a 10ft gap but some uk black run features.

So you're riding uk trail centre black routes and you managed to snap a frame? I'd seriously consider a skills course, much better value for money than a new bike that you cant ride properly.

I'd say a solid hardtail with about 100 - 120mm of travel is the ideal bike for uk trail centres, you've just got to know how to ride it. A 160mm bike is useful in the alps, but thats it. Cedric Gracia used to race world cup downhills on a 7inch travel bike.
  • What about this;

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBC ... e=Mountain

Not bad for £1300 (plus delivery from US)

btw - 100mm HT 'hopper is doing me fine in the Alps (DH runs and all)

although I've gotta 120mm Reba that's going on any day and I'm getting a DH sled in time for the lifts to open next year :wink:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    styxd wrote:
    So you're riding uk trail centre black routes and you managed to snap a frame?

It was a Pace, you can snap them by giving them a hard stare never mind a hard landing.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    styxd wrote:
    So you're riding uk trail centre black routes and you managed to snap a frame?

It was a Pace, you can snap them by giving them a hard stare never mind a hard landing.

:lol:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    Trust your first instinct and go for the Yeti SB-66!
  • What about a Lapierre Zesty? Bit of a shameless plug as Ive got a zesty 514 frame for sale but they really are top bikes. Climb well and more importantly descend even better. The one Ive got has a carbon rear end too so super light and feels super stiff on the trail.

Anyway if your still in the market for a new frame and you fancy a look here it is - http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12806670

Rob