Specialized frame sizes

booktownman
booktownman Posts: 151
edited October 2011 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to pick up a 2nd hand Spesh in the next few weeks. I live in bum-fcuk nowhere and can't get to a shop for fittings. At 5' 10" I fall between Med and Large frame sizes so I'm interested to hear what size bike other Spesh owners around that height are riding.

Cheers,

BTM

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You need to give more info - inside leg, arm length, and what bikes you have ridden that seem to fit.
  • Definitley a 17.5 maybe even a 19.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Definitley a 17.5 maybe even a 19.

That's daft. I would say he needs a medium or large. Possibly a small but definitely not a extra small though an extra large might be right. If it's a dirt jump or trials bike he might need a long frame or maybe a short if he has short arms.
  • Im about the same height, and i went for the 17.5" frame just cause the 19 felt too big for me.
    Cotic BFE MK II
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    Spesh what ?

I'm 6'0" with a 33" in-seam, I had an 18" (medium) Stumpy HT but a 20" (large) Epic Carbon Marathon.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm 5'10" but short of leg, I ride a 16" Kraken, although the lads Spesh (17.5") fits me fine, and him at 5'11".

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    edited October 2011
    Definitley a 17.5 maybe even a 19.

That's daft. I would say he needs a medium or large. Possibly a small but definitely not a extra small though an extra large might be right. If it's a dirt jump or trials bike he might need a long frame or maybe a short if he has short arms.

Not daft at all.Think you are getting your manufacturers sizing systems confused Rockmonkey! Are you thinking of Giant......... :wink:

Specialized sizing goes 13 XS,15 S,17 M,19 L,21 XL23 XXL.So in Specialized speak my 17 is your medium and 19 your large. :wink:

I`m 5ft 11,and 21 is definitley too big,19 is about right but can ride a 17.5 but top tube is a little cramped.As ever its about proportions and top tube length more than seat tube height.

Anyway as always I reccomend trying before buying.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    But you may not have the same arm and leg length as the OP, regardless of the same height.
    Anyway as always I reccomend trying before buying.

This is what I would do.
  • So many Specialized dealers it won`t be an issue to try! :lol:

You`ll have to endure the LBS sales spiel for 20 mins,while you try, but worth the hassle for getting it right! :lol:
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • bobgfish
    bobgfish Posts: 545
    Well I'm same height and have a Med. As other siad it is down to torso lenght, arm lenght etc but if you are averge the Med will be fine.