Second hand full sus recommendations? #2

add595
add595 Posts: 196
edited October 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi all.

Following on from my previous post, I have realised my budget was way off.

Think I can scrape together, and justify, spending up to £700.

I have spent hours looking at various bikes on Ebay, and reading Bike Radar reviews, I am confused and going cross eyed!

I think about 110-120mm of travel would be ideal, and something that is not too hard on the uphill sections and reasonably lightweight.

I have been looking at:

Giant Trance X 2009>
Specialized Camber Comp 2011
Boardman Team FS 2010

Any more recommendations and/or advice would be appreciated.
2009 Giant Trance X5
Kinesis Decade Virsa custom build
Pinnacle Peak 700c hybrid road rat
Various other parts 'n' projects

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Where can you get the Spesh for £700?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Trance X. Solid frame with bearings that last well. Giant's warranty also covers the frame for up to five years even if you weren't the original owner.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Giant's warranty also covers the frame for up to five years even if you weren't the original owner.

Where does it say that?
  • There is a mongoose teocali comp at pauls cycles new for £700?
  • add595
    edited October 2011
    cooldad wrote:
    Where can you get the Spesh for £700?
    Ebay, second hand.
    There is a mongoose teocali comp at pauls cycles new for £700?
    So there is... I will look into it.
    2009 Giant Trance X5
  • supersonic
    Without knowing the condition is hard to advise. Can you see the bike, try for size, and check it over? Have the skills to set it up? Remember 2nd hand bikes have no warranty.
  • add595
    I am looking for ones that are listed as having little use, and will be inspecting the bike closely on collection.

I have been building, maintaining and tinkering with bikes since I was old enough to hold a spanner. Therefore I don't mind buying second hand and aren't too concerned about a warranty.

I have been to bike shops and every medium/18" bike I have ridden from the mentioned brands fitted perfectly.

I lost interest in biking about 2006 though, and I am only just getting back into it, so out off the loop on modern bikes and hence after some good advice from you knowledgeable chaps.
    2009 Giant Trance X5
  • paul20v
    paul20v Posts: 267
    supersonic wrote:
    Remember 2nd hand bikes have no warranty.
    in all fairness nor do second hand cars but we spend thousands on them and they have so many things to go wrong with them unlike bikes which are simple in comparison :D
  • supersonic
    Aye, but if your frame cracks after 2 weeks, is a big loss!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    supersonic wrote:
    Aye, but if your frame cracks after 2 weeks, is a big loss!

If your engine blows up its a big loss!
  • supersonic
    Of course. But I don't drive lol. The risks of buying 2nd hand should be pointed out though. Especially when new old stock can be had for good prices from some places.
  • Holyzeus
    Holyzeus Posts: 354
    Trance X. Solid frame with bearings that last well. Giant's warranty also covers the frame for up to five years even if you weren't the original owner.
    Love mine but not everyone loves the bearings.
    Think you'll find ONLY if your the original owner
    Nicolai CC
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    supersonic wrote:
    Of course. But I don't drive lol. The risks of buying 2nd hand should be pointed out though. Especially when new old stock can be had for good prices from some places.

Oh I agree, but as Paul says people buy 2nd hand stuff all the time and dont bat an eyelid at the thought that it doesn't come with warranty, however the warranty seems to be a big issue on here for some.
  • add595
    Holyzeus wrote:
    Love mine but not everyone loves the bearings
    By bearings, do you mean the rear suspension bearings? How are they faulty, don't last long or just rubbish?

2nd hand concerns noted.
    2009 Giant Trance X5
  • Holyzeus
    Holyzeus Posts: 354
    Not rubbish just some people say they don't last however just as many say they do.
    I wouldn't be put off buying 2nd hand personally
    Nicolai CC
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    leave enough in your budget for a fork/shock service, or at least the consumeables and any tools needed if you can DIY

I got a 5 year old marin attack trail for £550 a couple of years ago and had to spend £150 straight away: still a great buy though 8)
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    add595 wrote:
    Holyzeus wrote:
    Love mine but not everyone loves the bearings
    By bearings, do you mean the rear suspension bearings? How are they faulty, don't last long or just rubbish?

2nd hand concerns noted.

Bearings lasting depend on treatment of the bike, has it been thrashed or pottered on? you take the risk but its not an overly expensive fix.

For £700 you can pick up new old stock as previously stated, if buying second hand ask for service receipts etc and try and take someone along who knows a bit about bikes.

In my dealings with ebay most are honest folk selling unwanted items, check their feedback and see what they have sold previously and what comments have been left.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    paul20v wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    in all fairness nor do second hand cars but we spend thousands on them and they have so many things to go wrong with them unlike bikes which are simple in comparison :D
    car dealer has to supply 3month warrenty by law....some offer more
  • paul20v
    turnerjohn wrote:
    paul20v wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    car dealer has to supply 3month warrenty by law....some offer more
    your right car dealers offer a 3 month warranty , but most cars/vans i buy have been private no warranties
    its like everything you take it as you see it if the 2nd hand bike looks like a dog it probably is .
  • add595
    edited October 2011
    Getting back to bikes...

I have bought an '09 Giant Trance X5... within my original budget! Looks like it has had little use. 'Octalink' stickers still on cranks, original tyres still have loads of the small spikes on, no puncture repairs on the tubes, paintwork in excellent condition etc. Very happy with it.

Been out on it today, oh wow, it is a world apart from my Zen1. Geometry feels much better for me, front forks are in a different league, the maestro suspension system seems great.

It is a keeper... Until something else tempts me anyway.

Thanks for your help folks.
    2009 Giant Trance X5
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    edited October 2011
    Great, may great trails come under the wheels of your new pride, just update your signature :D
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • add595
    Signature updated.

Now, when can I get to Dalby... :D
    2009 Giant Trance X5
  • paul20v
    Glad your a happy person 8)