Single speed making noises (HELP)

tugger
tugger Posts: 122
edited October 2011 in Workshop
HELLO!!!

I have been the proud owner of my specialized langster for nearly two years now. I have had ALWAYS had it in the free wheel side of the "flip flop" hub. I would estimate we have done 1500 miles together in that form. And she has been good as gold, never touched it maintanance wise, bit of a grease/re grease but nothing serious

THEN

The other day I decide "I wonder what it is like as a fixed gear"

So I do my short commute to work and back, no dramas, but having nearly launced myself into oncoming traffic a couple of times I decide to revert back to the comfort and safety of the free wheel again

Well, my bike radar forum chums, my once quiet, steady running Langster now sounds like it is dragging a bag of bolts behind it. This horrible cruching noise when I put any power through it makes me think Im about to dissapear in a cloud of chain links!

What have I done????

Is this the end, have i stretched the chain and gone and ruin the drive train, is this a common thing, why oh why???

I seem to have brought early maintenance on my once maintenence free bike!!

Can one of you lovely people please explain....
All about the aggregation of marginal gains (or marginal losses, depending on who you are!!)

Comments

• phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    If I vote no, does that mean no to both or no to the first and yes to the second?

EDIT: make sure the wheel is straight in the drop-outs. If the plane of the freewheel is not parallel to that of the chain rings then I imagine that will generate quite a lot of noise.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    go back to fixed ??? a week or two riding a fixed and you'll soon be cruising
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • I ride an old fixed thing and it constantly makes a racket and sometimes the chain falls of and i crap myself. Meh
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • tugger
    tugger Posts: 122
    a situation where the chain falls off or i indeed "crap myself" or for whatever reason/run the risk of going into a road/on coming traffic/a bus is one i am trying to avoid, just to be clear on that

for the record i have taken the wheel out several times for whatever reason and it has never made this noise before...

im gonna try to take it out again and put it back and see "whaguan" as my yr 11s would say...
    All about the aggregation of marginal gains (or marginal losses, depending on who you are!!)