Taking a bike on eurostar - where do you take your bike

andymiller
andymiller Posts: 2,856
edited October 2011 in Tour & expedition
Hi

I've just booked my bike on the eurostar bike carriage service coming from Paris to London. this is the first time I've used the service - I usually carry it in a bag. Now what i want to know is where do I actually take the bike when I get to Gare du Nord - the eurostar check-in at Gare du Nord is upstairs and I'm fairly sure I need to take it somewhere else.

The guy I spoke to at EuroDispatch couldn't tell me. The 'Consignment Note' comes with no information at all. When I emailed Eurostar Support they told me they had no information and to call EuroDispatch. Great.

Anyone know?

Comments

• tim_f
    tim_f Posts: 12
    http://www.eurostar.com/UK/uk/leisure/travel_information/at_the_station/stations/paris_gare_du_nord.jsp

Go down the walkway to the left of the left most platform and you will find the depot at the end of the platforms. About where the R of EUROSTAR is on the map on the web page with the link above.

Best to check bike in 2 hours and a bit in advance. On the day I came back in September some guys checked their bikes in 90 minutes before the train and their bikes who not on the train.
  • When I went several years ago you dropped off your bike at SERNAM office on Rue de Mauberge - like the previous post says, you have to leave the actual station to get there.

It's only a few hundred metres but I didn't enjoy carrying 4 panniers back to the station. The guys demanded I remove everything from the bike (pumps, bottles, lights etc) . I guess they didn't want to have any responsibility for it. If you're carrying full panniers and there are several of you, I recommend leaving one of your with all the panniers on the station concourse while the others take the bikes.
  • andymiller
    tim_f wrote:
    The Eurostar link made clickable.
    Go down the walkway to the left of the left most platform and you will find the depot at the end of the platforms. About where the R of EUROSTAR is on the map on the web page with the link above.
    Thanks Tim.
    Best to check bike in 2 hours and a bit in advance. On the day I came back in September some guys checked their bikes in 90 minutes before the train and their bikes who not on the train.
    Thanks for the heads up. Considering they charge £30 (three times the rate for TGVs) the service seems to be really poor.
    Nick - I also use the SERNAM service many years ago. I wondered if it was the same place. It sounds like it is.
    Unfortunately there's only one of me, but in comparison to lugging a bike (in a bag) and panniers to the RER this should be fairly straightforward. Once I find the place to drop off the bike of course.
  • geocycle
    geocycle Posts: 202
    Yes, it is right down platform 2 at the left hand side of the station. I left empty bottles on with no problems. Main problem is carrying panniers back to the check in. There is a place for baggage trolleys near the bike check in but there weren't any when I was there. If you can find one hang on to it!

The guys at the bike check in were very laid back! They hang your bike on a sort of trolley by the front wheel. All was fine with no damage.

At St P you again walk right to the end of the station past the left luggage and into a sort of underpass but with a nice office. You will need a trolley again! The staff were very helpful.
  • andymiller
    Finding a luggage trolley on the eurostar platforms in the Gare du Nord - is a bit like finding a fiver lying on the ground.
  • this is the gaff at st pancras:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2368123