Aggressive driver

fallingoff
fallingoff Posts: 332
edited October 2011 in The bottom bracket
I'd like to relate this tale..of a sort of ex-friend.
I say ex-friend because we hung around when we were younger as part of a group with like-minded interests(enduro/mx)then we sort of drifted apart,marriage,kids,differing interests,etc,etc he found that drinking was more fun than anything else but to my knowledge he never drunk~drive.
I'm setting the scene hence the background :oops: ...a while ago I met him in a local Chinese take-away he was "bladdered"..speaking to him I said that I heard he was accused of a hit and run..he laughed and admitted he did it because the cyclist was a c##T and was annoying him...yes I was taken aback.
The story goes that the cyclist berarted(sp) him for his lack of driving skills..so he knocked him off..yes on pupose..the cyclist suffered a fractured wrist.
The driver rushed home and checked his car for damage,tell-take signs and was happy in the knowledge that he'd got away with it...the next occurence was when he saw the police in his drive checking his car over.
FF to yesterday saw his wife and discovered that he'd been found guilty and received a 19 month ban,a £12oo fine and some community service.
How did he get caught.!!..he lied by saying he was on his own,but CCTV showed him with one of his daughters(12 y.o) in the car,I presume he'd come out of the petrol station..so not only did he do it,he subjected his young daughter to the event..is his wife pissed off,are his "friends"....TWAT

Comments

• upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    A woeful tale,he's damn lucky he didnt get a custodial sentence.....
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    A woeful tale,he's damn lucky he didnt get a custodial sentence.....

It's a damned disgrace he didn't.
  • Totaly agree but they obviously decided it was an "accident"...at least he didn't get off "scot~free"...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Result.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Did you offer yourself as a witness at his court case after he admitted guilt to you?
  • Sorry,I'm afraid I didn't ,I wanted nothing to do with it or him,I seldom see him and prefer it that way.
    I understand your point but as he was so inebriated would it have been useable in court?.
    I like many others have little faith in our justice system...so stories like this "shine"
  • fallingoff wrote:
    Sorry,I'm afraid I didn't ,I wanted nothing to do with it or him,I seldom see him and prefer it that way.
    I understand your point but as he was so inebriated would it have been useable in court?.
    I like many others have little faith in our justice system...so stories like this "shine"

Properly public spirited aren't you? Did you even bother trying to find out if your evidence was useful? No. Fu##ing lame - you deserve each other.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    fallingoff wrote:
    Sorry,I'm afraid I didn't ,I wanted nothing to do with it or him,I seldom see him and prefer it that way.

Properly public spirited aren't you? Did you even bother trying to find out if your evidence was useful? No. Fu##ing lame - you deserve each other.
    That's a bit harsh IMO. Would you have taken time off work to give statements to the police, be briefed by lawyers and attend court (which could be adjourned for days so you have to go back multiple times) only to have the defence lawyer start pulling your life and relationship apart to discredit you and say you're making all this up because you don't like his client?

I don't think so.

I have to agree with the OP that drunken gossip in the pub between 2 ex-mates with no witnesses doesn't sound like very strong evidence to me.
  • Yes i agree that the possibility of inconvenience should always be the primary factor in these cases
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • MattMTB
    MattMTB Posts: 95
    Oscarbudgie, you're being over sensitive, The cyclist got a fractured wrist - he didn't die.

The driver and cyclist had an argument. The driver used his car as a weapon and the cyclist was hurt. The driver has been sentenced and that's it.

The driver sounds like a tw*t, but it doesn't sound like the OP should have / needed to get involved IMO.
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Oh come on, give the guy a break. If he had known there was other evidence, that the police were investigating and that charges had been brought that's one thing. But hearing some drunk bloke brag about something in a pub is not what criminal prosecutions are based on.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • Thanks for the support,sorry to be a dissappointment O/B..how would it stand in court?,as said a drunken revelation and what level would he have stooped to considering his young daughter was in the car during the incident.
    That was a bit of an outburst,have you had this happen to you or perhaps a friend?
    I wanted to relate the good news that we rarely see at anything but tabloid level usually.