American Flyers

wicked
wicked Posts: 844
edited October 2011 in The bottom bracket
Classic film on sunday BBC1 11.30pm American Flyers!

"Enough of this sunday stroll! Lets hurt a little bit!" Class. :D
It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    PVR'd it. Thanks for the heads up.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Yeah, great film. including Russian tough guys, topless bird and Kevin Costner before he became "strange"...
  • ta!
  • wicked wrote:

Woman Reporter: It's a big day for American cycling, to have two Americans beat an Olympic champ. You must feel some pride.
    Jerome: Come on man, walk it off.
    Muzzin: No, no, I'm alright. OK. I'm not riding for America lady. I tried riding for America. I spent four years of my life working shitty jobs so I could train and make the Olympic team and ride for my... Look at me! And then some fatasses in Washington started having opinions. The Olympic Committee started having opinions. You, you bitch, I know you! You started writing your opinions. So we boycott the Olympics. I was in the best shape of my life in the summer of 1980 and I got beat by opinions.
    Woman Reporter: Is that why you're boycotting the victory ceremony?
    Muzzin: What victory? There's two stages left.
    Woman Reporter: Still, the fact remains...
    Muzzin: You wouldn't know a fact if it banged you all night long!

(They don't make 'em like they used to....... :))
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    wicked wrote:

Woman Reporter: It's a big day for American cycling, to have two Americans beat an Olympic champ. You must feel some pride.
    Jerome: Come on man, walk it off.
    Muzzin: No, no, I'm alright. OK. I'm not riding for America lady. I tried riding for America. I spent four years of my life working shitty jobs so I could train and make the Olympic team and ride for my... Look at me! And then some fatasses in Washington started having opinions. The Olympic Committee started having opinions. You, you *****, I know you! You started writing your opinions. So we boycott the Olympics. I was in the best shape of my life in the summer of 1980 and I got beat by opinions.
    Woman Reporter: Is that why you're boycotting the victory ceremony?
    Muzzin: What victory? There's two stages left.
    Woman Reporter: Still, the fact remains...
    Muzzin: You wouldn't know a fact if it banged you all night long!

(They don't make 'em like they used to....... :))

You are a fan then! :D

I can never get over the russians wearing what looks like ice hockey helmets? Must be quite warm with all that ventilation.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    And no EPO in sight :shock:
    bagpuss
  • i remember this film because in one scene the two brothers are out riding pretty fast then one of em hoists a minger of a wheelie for what looks like 50 yards at over 20 mph , can anybody really do that on a road bike or what, it wasnt CGI generated as this film was made in 1985/6 ish, i,ll be recording it to try and see if it was real or not, the rest of the film is watchable if only because its got some cycling in it
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    It was cool when i watched it all them years ago, not sure if it'll have the same affect this time round. But i'll still watch it.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I saw it when it first came out... I'll give it another go tonight.
    Can't guarantee staying awake... :roll:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It's so bad it's ace!

The Evil Russian dude was posted in the 'hero' thread as my hero...
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Why am I watching this cr*p? A rider called 'The Cannibal' is announced and I cringe thinking what would Eddie think and then my hero shows up to start the Hell of the West, I fell off my chair in shock :shock: Still that blond girl's t%ts are very nice and Rae Dawn Chong is always pleasant on the eye. I can't see any nice bikes either to take my mind off the shocking acting. Also the recent thread complaining about poor group riding ought to take a look at the peloton on here if they are looking for a poor example of group riding!
  • Shake and break, fantastic :D
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Started watching it last night some 10 minutes in I think.Didnt know what it was but for some reason it rang a bell. Then just saw this. :lol:

My god Costner is a rubbish actor.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    kettrinboy wrote:
    i remember this film because in one scene the two brothers are out riding pretty fast then one of em hoists a minger of a wheelie for what looks like 50 yards at over 20 mph , can anybody really do that on a road bike or what, it wasnt CGI generated as this film was made in 1985/6 ish, i,ll be recording it to try and see if it was real or not, the rest of the film is watchable if only because its got some cycling in it

Not sure how they did it in the film, but Robbie Mcewan is pretty good at the old Road Bike Wheelie:

_41812386_mcewen.jpg
    9.jpg
    wheelie(s).jpg
    tdf06st20-robbie450.jpg
  • downfader
    Pokerface wrote:
    kettrinboy wrote:
    i remember this film because in one scene the two brothers are out riding pretty fast then one of em hoists a minger of a wheelie for what looks like 50 yards at over 20 mph , can anybody really do that on a road bike or what, it wasnt CGI generated as this film was made in 1985/6 ish, i,ll be recording it to try and see if it was real or not, the rest of the film is watchable if only because its got some cycling in it

Not sure how they did it in the film, but Robbie McEwen is pretty good at the old Road Bike Wheelie:

_41812386_mcewen.jpg

I did that once on the Jake, completely by accident! Have never managed to do it deliberately, not would I really wish to. :oops: I was accellerating up a slight slope and pulled on the hoods and up she went, for about 15 feet of road. Not quite that high though
  • wicked wrote:
    Classic film on sunday BBC1 11.30pm American Flyers!

Cought it by chance, stayed up till the end. To think I used to think that music was cool....!

Anyway, quite enjoyed it in an 80's kind of mood... :)
  • Homer J
    My brother asked me "Who is Eddy Merckx?" :shock:
  • Homer J wrote:

What do they teach them at School these days :roll: ?
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Homer J wrote:

You hold him, I'll hit him with a crank :evil:
  • downfader
    Homer J wrote:

What do they teach them at School these days :roll: ?

All the usual.. ATM theft, how to grow weed in a loft hatch, and hanging a compact disc on your review stops you getting a speeding ticket in your nova.
  • Homer J
    ^
    Without going into a long and pointless speech i just said to him. "You know the muslims have mohammed?, well we have Eddy"!!
  • I like the "Enough of this Sunday stroll. Let's hurt some" comment. Is it the new tactic 'advertise your intention to attack'?
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • scwxx77
    scwxx77 Posts: 1,469
    bump

This is on again Sunday 11:45pm BBC 1 2011.
    Winner: PTP Vuelta 2007 :wink:
  • wow that is some memory there scw to recall this thread, well done. Cheers for the heads up.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    It is a classic I have it on VHS it so good!
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • Recorded and watching. Loved the horse race scene. Falling over in the clips is always a classic. Never done that....honest. :oops:
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    It's such a pile of cr*p! The Russians are flying up the mountain stages despite being built like body builders - even in our drug riddled sport I think that would raise a few eyebrows (as would some guy going from being a courier to competing in a top level road race in no time!). Saying that, I would have recorded it had I realised it was on :oops:
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Pross wrote:
    Saying that, I would have recorded it had I realised it was on :oops:

It's on this COMING Sunday (16th Oct). Set your recording device!
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    Ah those evil Russians. No doubt Hollywood has considered a remake of sorts (like all bloody films these days) but ruled that a script with a muslim extremist taking part in an international bike race was a step too far even for them.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Pokerface wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Saying that, I would have recorded it had I realised it was on :oops:

It's on this COMING Sunday (16th Oct). Set your recording device!

Ah right, got a bit confused as someone else said they recorded it and were watching.