cracknell and walters doing lands end to john o groats

2»

Comments

• I still don't really get why they stopped if I'm honest...

"A few hours later the support crew pulled us over, not because we looked unsafe or they were worried about us physically but because our average speed was lower than at anytime over the previous 48hrs (funny that)."

Just doesn't sound right :?
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Yeah - I'm not really getting why they stopped either, despite reading JC's explanation.

It seems they were going too slowly so someone decided to pull the plug?

And with only 68 miles to go?

JC didn't put up a fight to that call - but WTF? Of course you're going to be mentally and physically fatigued. I can't say I'd give up with less than 4 hours to go after going at it for so long.

I'd rather go the whole way and miss the record by 30 minutes, than give up with less than 4 hours to go.

Still, I suppose well done for the effort.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I'd say that none of this passes the 'sniff test'. Something not right, a tremendous achievement to ride for so long and for so far, nothing to be ashamed about. But the whole thing seems to be shrouded in something that I can't quite put my finger on.
  • I am glad I am not the only one who found this all a bit weird - even in small details (such as whether they were 90 minutes behind after 24 hours [JC] or had "lost only minimal time"[Project7]) the statements don't really add up. I guess they have their reasons for keeping information tight.

I thought this was the saddest line about the decision to abandon:
    There wasn't much point in asking Jerone, not only had he been cycling for the same amount of time but pulling along a fat bloke as well.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Yes, I read that line and deduced that the decision to abandon had all been about Cracknell, and Walters hadn't been asked, or wasn't being considered.

All very sad overall. But still an heroic effort.
  • I expect there will be a TV documentary along at some point to explain all.

Real shame they didn't make it though.
  • Strange...
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer