RR Season Review...

milese
milese Posts: 1,233
edited October 2011 in Amateur race
My road season ended yesterday, so I thought it would be interesting to reflect on what was my first my season, and see how others got on.

Feel free to add / remove categories!

My history - 1 4th cat only race last year and got dropped
Pre season target - Get to third cat, gain experience
Races entered - around 16
Points gained - 34
Best race - Won 4th cat only in Portreath after getting in a break of 5, but race I remember the mostly fondly, probably because it was the race with the most pain, was the 2/3/4 Newquay Velo RR, when I got 8th, which was 2nd in the uphill bunch sprint after 6 got away. I really suffered for the whole race, got dropped on a climb and fought back on, yoyo'd on the back, but found a sprint.
Worst race - 3 stage race at Ilton, completely off form, got dropped in first 2 races, punctured, then went home.
Biggest Disappointment - Yesterday, last RR of season organised by my club, really wanted to do well. Spent previous couple of months training specifically for it, 15 miles in, was going well, felt quite strong and I punctured.
Strengths - Fairly good sprint, not spending any time in the wind!
Weaknesses - Climbing and overall threshold power. Need to be able to get to the end with the bunch to sprint, TT'ing ability. Losing position just before the bell lap. Managing training and racing. Keeping interval sessions going when I stop using the turbo.
Targets for next year - 2nd cat, be comfortably as a 2nd cat.
Challenges for next year - keeping it up with my first child due just before Christmas. Improving on weaknesses.

Generally, as my first racing season I have really enjoyed it, its given me something good to focus on, and is definitely a lifestyle not a hobby. I've learnt a lot and am hoping that I'll see good gains over winter to start next year stronger and wiser!

I raced hard from the start of the season, but didn't have much of a plan or focus, just entered everything and tried to train around it, got some good results, then when I found out the wife was pregnant decided that pushing for 2nd cat would probably be a bad idea give my restrictions next year, so lost form (was probably on the cards anyway) and focus. They tried to come back strong for yesterday's race, which was a massive disappointment (puncture, as above).

I'd also encourage anyone who is interested in getting involved and giving it a go. This time last year I was pretty hopeless and completely inexperienced, but after a winter of training and quite a few hours on the turbo I've had a pretty rewarding and sucessful season.

Now going to do a season of CX, more for fun than to be competitive.

I think writing this is actually some kind of therapy, as I'm still gutted about yesterday!

Comments

• ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    My history – I used to race as a junior (20 odd years ago) and started again last year. I did 12 or so races and managed 4 top 10s including one third place.
    Preseason target - To get to 2nd Cat (which I achieved)
    Races entered - about 20
    Points gained - 43
    Best race – I won the CC Ashwell Primavera road race back in May
    Worst race – my first E/1/2 at MK Bowl, I lasted 30 minutes before getting dropped
    Biggest Disappointment – Missing the break in my own club’s road race. I got second in the bunch sprint – but ten riders were away.
    Strengths – I'm strong in bad weather conditions, wind rain etc. and good at positioning myself.
    Weaknesses – Climbing, I’m a fat man
    Targets for next year – To get to 1st Cat in my first year as a Veteran
    Challenges for next year – Definitely fitting my training around a new baby and my 2 year old daughter
  • My history – Triathlete with shafted knee in Feb 11.

Preseason target - 3rd Cat

Races entered - 4 (2 with Racing License, 2 with provisional)

Points gained - Would have been 24, but 18.

Best race – Last nights win in Cardiff (Cat4)

Worst race – None, a 3rd, 2nd and 1st. Happy with all!

Biggest Disappointment – Missing the entire Tri season,.

Strengths – Climbing, but I have a decent "sprint" from distance as I can't compete with the bigger guys on a bunch sprint (65kg's).

Weaknesses – Positioning.

Targets for next year – 2nd Cat

Challenges for next year – Fix my knee and get one Tri under my belt whilst still racing.
  • Milese wrote:
    but race I remember the mostly fondly, probably because it was the race with the most pain, was the 2/3/4 Newquay Velo RR, when I got 8th, which was 2nd in the uphill bunch sprint after 6 got away. I really suffered for the whole race, got dropped on a climb and fought back on, yoyo'd on the back, but found a sprint.

I won the bunch sprint for that race and have to agree it was horrible.

i have a picture of it if you pm your email i will send it on
  • milese
    I won the bunch sprint for that race and have to agree it was horrible.

i have a picture of it if you pm your email i will send it on

Thanks, PM on way.

I take it you were the guy in the fire service kit? You won that sprint by a good distance.

Good to hear how others got on this season - a nice set of results therejbwilliamz!
  • Cheers Milese! A good season yourself too...!

Amazing what a good position does for your confidence, eh.
  • Hi Miliese, great season! Your write up sounds similar to mine!

Just out of interest, did you folllow a specific training plan this year? I am looking at Joel Friels for the coming year
  • i did alot of local races and pb'd in 5, 10 and 25 mile tts which was good, i also got my aim of making the Guernsey Island games team, where our rider Tobyn Horton won the crit and another James Mc Laughlin was 2nd in the time trial to Andy Roach and 2nd in the road race to a Junior Estonian who rode the worlds, although had james attacked earlier on the climb he would have won that, we got 2nd team in all three event loosing out to the Isle of Man team each time.

Heres a list of my results on bc website

18 Sep Duo Normand(3rd category) Time Trial Foreign Regional 5th in 3rd cat

31 Jul Surrey League Road Race (London Phoenix)(2/3) 3rd 2/3 cat

30 Jul Inverse/Cyclaim RT Race Day 3(2/3) Closed Circuit 18th 2/3 cat lead team mate out for win

30 Jun Nat West Island Games Time Trials(Men) Time Trial 13th

28 Jun Nat West Island Games Road Races(Men) Road 20th

26 Jun Nat West Island Games Criterium Races(E/1/2/3/4) 13th

18 Jun Saint Pierre La Cour Road Race(1/2/3) Road 15th

30 May Jersey Road Races(E/1/2/3) Road 9th

22 May South Region Road Race Championships(E/1/2/3) 18th dragged break back for team mate to win

18 May Handzame (W) 1-12B Elite-U23 Open Omloop(Elite/U23) 50th

11 May De Haan (W) - 1-12B Elite/U23 Open Omloop(Elite/U23) 55th

8 May Maria Aalter (Aalter)(O) - 1-12B Elite/U23 Open Omloop(Elite/U23) 51st crashed on last corner would have been about 20th

7 May Brugge-Dudzele (W) - 1-12B Elite/U23 Open Omloop(Elite/U23) 63rd

2 Apr Beyond Spring Crits 3(2/3/4) 4th

Rider's total points 37
    its annoying to have been only 3 points off 2nd cat, tempted to travel over for a race to try get there so i can enter more national b races and a prem or two next year
  • Just out of interest, did you folllow a specific training plan this year? I am looking at Joel Friels for the coming year

I tried following Friel as prep for a crack at 'proper' racing and didn't find it that helpful. Perhaps it was my own fault in some way - but i basically found that riding the relevant intervals (based on HR) didn't condition me to the necessary speed for the RR events I entered or the length of extertion required. It seemed to leave me with either the option of a) riding the intervals as directed or b) going out and actually riding as fast as necessary would be required to stick with the bunch for as long as would be required in a race situation...

Having been through the cycle of trying to prepare for the forthcoming year, but failing to do so successfully, several times i'm coming to the conclusion that there is no susbstitute to training with your peers in chaingangs or similar during the spring.

Appreciate everyone is different though :roll:
    Put me back on my bike...

t' blog: http://meandthemountain.wordpress.com/
  • milese
    I didn't follow a training plan. Through winter I basically did 2 hours on the turbo during the week (various, random interval sessions through sufferfest vids), a longer steady ride on the weekend and 70 miles of commuting a week.

Then carried that into the very early races of the season and then entered a lot of races, so I probably raced myself fit.

As John has said, its pretty hard to get the intensity in on your own, so race like conditions (ones where you really struggle and pride stops you drop stopping) are important.

I've got glandular fever now though so my winter might be a bit different to the original plan.