Test Rides - Are they that necessary?

richard36
richard36 Posts: 346
edited October 2011 in Road buying advice
I have about £1500 to spend on a bike (probably extend that to about £1800 though need to save some money for a good bike fit).

I live miles away from any decent bike shops and I will need to buy online.

There seem to be loads of bikes in this price range and I was wondering whether a test ride is really that necessary given that I doubt I would know in any event from a 10 minute ride which bike is going to be the most suitable.

Should I just go for the one that I like the look of/has a good spec and then order that one? I would then plan on getting a proper bike fit.

I won't be using the bike for races just long sportive type rides.

Thanks

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    If you're not worried about how the bike you are about to buy feels on the road, then go ahead and blind buy. A test ride imo is very important as every single bike sold feels different.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Depends.

I bought my current road bike with no test ride at all - although I was professionally measured and had a long discussion with the sales guy. His view was that many fit problems don't manifest themselves until you've been in the saddle for longer than most demos allow - and that with some expert advice and a proper measurement you should get a better fit.

My old bike was a 54cm Cannondale and had always felt too big (despite having a test ride) and I was recommended a 56cm Cervelo which seemed counter-intuitive, but it fits perfectly.

So, I'd suggest you get the bike fit first, then use that to base your decision on, rather than trying to second guess the outcome and potentially retrofit a bike to you which may not even be the right size to start with.
  • richard36
    Thanks MeesterBond

Whilst not having test ridden a bike before I would have thought (as you have said) that you are not really going to know how a bike rides/feels until you have ridden it for some time.

So presumably you got the bike fit and then when you came to buy your bike you looked at the geometry information?

When you bought the bike did it then need to be tweaked to achieve an even better fit?

Cheers
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Here's one good reason from a thread in Road Beginners:
    JohnBoyUK wrote:
    I'm quite fortunate that I live a couple of miles from Sidcup Cycles in SE London and they had the Agree Pro (the model down) in a 58cm frame and they allowed me to give it a quick whizz around the block. Very happy with my choice.

Strangely, my current ride, a 2010 Allez Elite was a 56cm and the Cube is a 58cm but feels like almost an identical riding position.
  • wombar
    wombar Posts: 119
    I've bought all my bikes blind without a test ride and have never had any issues. Obviously the most important thing is to get the right frame size for starters (do some reading on choosing the right frame size), or you'll be in trouble straight away. Saying that, it''s not like all LBS employees are masters of fitment and can size a frame to your height with a single glance.

Personally, I think a lot of people obsesses far too much when buying a bike. Realistically, most bikes in certain brackets are fitted with the same level of kit, so it's just a case of picking the colour you like the best. For some people, going and test riding 5-10 bikes is part of the enjoyment of getting a new bike.

Unless you've got a lot of experience with bikes, it's also unlikely you'll know what you need with a 10 minute ride. For me, test rides are nice to have but not essential.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I agree getting the right fit is the most important thing, a test ride will only give you part of that. Test rides are useful if you are wanting to check something specific (bar shape, handling, stiffness) but IME are tricky to give you an impression of how well the bike rides as most bikes feel a bit alien when you first ride them, it can be tricky separating that out from general ride qualities. My last major bike purchase involved a 150 mile round-trip twice to sort the test ride and fitting out. The one before that though I had to order it without a test ride (but could get a refund if needed) and it seemed fine after a 10 minute spin when it arrived.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    On the other hand, by definition, test rides are an impossibility on custom builds...
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    My last three bikes have all been built up from frames that i've bought, you can't test ride a frame can you! I don't even think that Look do complete bikes do they?
    I'm lucky that i know what size i need and i always check the frame dimensions so i've yet to have a problem but..... having just helped my mate buy a Giant TCR, it isn't always an easy job to get the right size when you just go by the manufacturers sizing.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Richard36 wrote:
    Thanks MeesterBond

Whilst not having test ridden a bike before I would have thought (as you have said) that you are not really going to know how a bike rides/feels until you have ridden it for some time.

So presumably you got the bike fit and then when you came to buy your bike you looked at the geometry information?

When you bought the bike did it then need to be tweaked to achieve an even better fit?
    Cheers

I think you can get an idea of how a bike rides (how stiff if feels, how direct the steering feels etc) from a test ride, but for me that would only ever be as a comparison against my existing bike. My old bike felt fine for short rides, but due to my shape (longer torso, short legs) a bike with a horizontal top tube didn't allow for much seatpost so was quite punishing on longer rides. To be honest, when I bought it, I didn't know a whole lot about sizing a bike so didn't know better.

I paid for the bike fit, which was then rebated when I bought the bike - from looking at the measurements, the shop suggested I avoided certain brands as they'd never fit quite right, avoided certain models as they wouldn't suit what I wanted to do with it. To be honest they did the analysis and I went with the result. Didn't have to change a thing when I picked it up.

It cost more than I could have paid online, but I know that upfront and was prepared to pay the extra.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I think if you have a good idea of the right frame size then a test ride isn't necessary. I've bought my last 4 bikes without a test ride as I know the top tube length I need and everything else can be tweeked once I've got it. I don't think a few minutes round a car park is going to tell me if I need a 10cm or 11cm stem anyway and that's the only bit I've needed to change to get the right fit.
    More problems but still living....
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    My last three bikes have all been built up from frames that i've bought, you can't test ride a frame can you! I don't even think that Look do complete bikes do they?
    I'm lucky that i know what size i need and i always check the frame dimensions so i've yet to have a problem but..... having just helped my mate buy a Giant TCR, it isn't always an easy job to get the right size when you just go by the manufacturers sizing.
  • richard36
    Many thanks to all those who have replied - much appreciated.

I think the way to go for me (living as I do at least 2 hours from any decent bike shops) is to get a good bike fit and go from there.

Thanks again
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I agree with others about getting the right fit done and then buying from that. The only thing I would add and it's something you can get from a test ride is how the frame/build will ride. What I mean is how harsh or soft the ride is or quick steering etc. So if you can't get to a test ride make sure you do in depth research on your purchase to make sure it's what you want.
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    Having experience of road bikes I was happy ordering my latest bike a Caad without a test ride...knowing I could make it fit....a few adjustments to seat angle height etc ...and it;s fine.

I have a friend who has to have a 3 hour bike fit for a bike, then ride, re fit and ride gain, just to do a 20 mile ride......So basically it comes down to how flexible and mental you are! :D
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    You can tell some stuff from test rides I think. I rode Cannondales and Treks before trying a Scott (which I bought)- the Cannondales never felt right, the Treks felt OK, but the Scott felt spot on. All same sort of price so same sort of components.

Of course it's hard to say how objective this is- if I'd ridden them on a different day or in a different order I might have come to a different concluison, but they're definitely not all the same. That said, as long as you're in the ballpark you could probably tweak anything to be about right for you.
  • I think they are necessary! I mean would you buy a car without test driving it?

The thing that a test ride does, well for me anyway, is give you a feeling. A kind of feeling that you know the bike is right for you. A good indicator of this is if your gurning like an idiot for the entire ride :D .
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Bozman wrote:

I think they do now. But it depends on what your priorities are. I bought from Epic Cycles. It is about 7 and a half hours round trip from me. I test rode a Look 585 and a Scott CR1 and the experience told me very clearly that it was the Look I wanted. I'd originally gone with a budget of £1500 which was slightly blown but the point was that I wasn't about to spend serious money on a bike without knowing for sure it was right for me.

Incidentally, one of the things that didn't work for me with the Scott was that the top tube was too wide for me - I must be narrow across the knees because they kept knocking on the top tube (which is at least twice as wide as that of the Look and most other bikes) - I doubt I would have thought of that as an issue if I hadn't ridden it.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    There's two reasons to test a bike IMO. One is if you have no good idea how the different sizes will fit you and second is to see how the frame feels. Harsh/smooth, soft, stiff etc etc. What I don't think you can really ascertain, and i stand to be corrected, is exactly what the handling is like. For me you need some good long rides and your fit to be dialled in. Obviously your position on the bike, stem length, drop to bars, weight distribution etc affects the handling.

I've bought bikes blind, but only second hand where I know I'll not lose money. Otherwise for me a test ride is essential. I always try to test with my own wheels and tyres that i know inside out to keep as much as I can familiar or constant.

Bikes I bought blind and second hand, on reputation, didn't live up to the hype. Take for eg the much heralded bike of the year, cannondale six carbon. For me the ride was dead and the front end harsh.. The bike handled great, don't get me wrong. I trusted it totally but just didn't like the feel of the frame on the road. If I'd have bought it new I'd have been gutted.

I was really interested in an Enigma Extensor. I tested one after hearing so much good but the ride left me slightly cold. Glad I didn't just order one blind. A year ago I tested a c59 and it totally blew me away. I've spent the last year trying different bikes out in shops, taking a punt on some second hand, hoping I'd find something much less expensive that I liked as much but I haven't, I tried it again and it blew me away again. Currently awaiting delivery and can't wait!

I think a lot of people will take a punt online based on reviews and spec level for money. To me the frame (lets assume it fits well) is the core of the experience, followed by the wheels/tyres which is an easy swap.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    I'd say just go to LBS and sit on a road bike (a boardman at halfords should do tne job) and check for sizing ... Then go online and check tne geometry of that bike ... Then just check the geometry of any bike you want to buy online is the same (or within 1 cm either way so can be made the same with stems spacers etc) ...

There have been 10 or so bikes bought online with no test ride in my house ... and this includes 2 road bikes bought forvthe missus, both men's bikes with the geometry checked that they would fit ... They did ... It's only 10 minutes research ...
  • chiark
    chiark Posts: 335
    I bought my first road bike earlier this year. I had no clue whatsoever what I wanted, so a test ride was invaluable as it showed me the difference between a more relaxed bike and a more 'aggressive' bike.

I ended up with a Synapse, which shows I preferred the relaxed. I thought I'd prefer the aggressive setup.

Since buying it I've removed 2 headset spacers, and raised the saddle. It's still comfortable, and I'm not regretting the purchase. I can see me buying a more aggressive bike next year (but don't tell my wife :D ), and probably going for a more sporty geometry. I'd be happy to buy online based on the fact that I've got a little bit of knowledge of what I want now, combined with the fact that I can also make anything fit with a bit of tweaking such as changing the stem, changing the spacers, footling with cranks etc
    Synapse Alloy 105 / Rock Lobster Tig Team Sl