Cavendish and the dodgy rainbow jersey

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited October 2011 in Pro race
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Mmmm, a photo-shoot jersey for a disappearing team and someone's gone to all that trouble. Sad really.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 925
    And it seems to have shrunk in the wash.
    The one he wore on the podium was intended for Thor :lol:
    Powered by Haribo. Zwift convert P.aul Laws [x]
  • Guessing the UCI didn't like this one either?

1987-liege-bastogne-liege.jpg

(I seem to remember it was designed by Argentin's wife?)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    That was just an excuse, the colours actually ran in the wash.
  • FCE2007 wrote:

Didn't Robert Millar turn up at the Nationals once with his own champs jersey so it would fit properly when he was presented with it on the podium. Now that's confidence!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    FCE2007 wrote:

Didn't Robert Millar turn up at the Nationals once with his own champs jersey so it would fit properly when he was presented with it on the podium. Now that's confidence!

If that's true that's very cool.
  • FCE2007 wrote:

Think it's mentioned in Robert Moore's book.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    FCE2007 wrote:

That's what it say in 'In Search of Robert Millar'. IIRC, he got his mum to make it!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    There's not much point in designing a fancy HTC WC jersey really is there - presumably Sky has something in the works....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Thats the reason I couldnt ever be a champion, my mum was pants at knitting and all the other cyclists would have laughed at me. :oops:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Vroomen is wasted is cycling. He would make a great traffic warden.

(While typing this, my HTC phone refused to acknowledged the existence of Vroomen and tried to change it to Froome :) )
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    has to be said, if I was a world champ I would be wearing the jersey EVERY time I went out on the bike 'need a pint of milk dear' 'rightho just putting on the bands cos I'm going out on my bike'

If I didn't get an official one I would get one from prendas or the like
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • I felt like asking for those two minutes of my life back. Normally Vroomen has much more interesting and relevant things to write about.

I was wondering though whether we are now going to see a lot more "world champions" riding round at weekends now...
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 925
    I'll stick to being king of the mountains :wink:
    <
    Or a reformed 'enhanced' cyclist.
    Powered by Haribo. Zwift convert P.aul Laws [x]
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    cougie wrote:
    Thats the reason I couldnt ever be a champion, my mum was pants at knitting and all the other cyclists would have laughed at me. :oops:

That didn't stop Sean Kelly.
  • .. but Cav tweeted about 11am this morning that his stripes kit hadn't arrived and that he would have to go out training in his normal kit.

Would have thought Adidas and Pinarello would have been more efficient than that :wink:
  • pomtarr
    pomtarr Posts: 318
    ddraver wrote:
    There's not much point in designing a fancy HTC WC jersey really is there - presumably Sky has something in the works....
    He's riding Paris-Tours and maybe Lombardy for HTC, so.... :wink:
    "Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    having read this

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getOb ... k&LangId=1

What exactly is the Cycle Ball Jersey ?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    sherer wrote:
    having read this

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getOb ... k&LangId=1

What exactly is the Cycle Ball Jersey ?

It's like five a side football on bicycles. It's crazy stuff. They have a World Cup. You can find highlights on You Tube
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    cooooooooooooooool

• those are some mad skills
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408

those are some mad skillz

Corrected your spelling error.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245

Turns out Vannieuwkerk (hero Sporza commentator. Even you guys will remember "Balen, we have a problem" when Canc attacks in Roubaix), was twice runner up in the Belgian nationals for that competition.
  • bettiniphoto_0091447_1_full_600.jpg

Not very keen on Cavendish's jersey. Think the bands sould go completely round the jersey. Still, he won't be wearing too much, Sky (or whoever it might be...) will hopefully have another design.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    bettiniphoto_0091447_1_full_600.jpg

That looks like a man who's enjoyed the last fortnight.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    LangerDan wrote:
    bettiniphoto_0091447_1_full_600.jpg

That looks like a man who's enjoyed the last fortnight.

To be fair, he always seems to look like that. White is rarely flattering to anyone, even pro cyclists.

Can't blame him if he has been on the pies, think he's earnt it and he's got plenty of time to shift it before Milan San Remo comes around!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Not very keen on Cavendish's jersey. Think the bands sould go completely round the jersey. Still, he won't be wearing too much, Sky (or whoever it might be...) will hopefully have another design.
    Given Sky's treatment of the British National Champs jersey don't hold your breath on that one...
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    To be fair, there's not an awful lot of scope for interesting design when it comes to the WC jersey as it has to hit the UCI's guidelines and at the end of the day is simply 5 coloured bands round a white jersey. Plus you have to fit your sponsors logo on it somewhere and somehow.

Personally I quite like what Sky did with the British champions jersey on Brad and Geraint, simple but effective.

One jersey that really needs binning is the Team GB jersey, hopefully they will have a new version for the 2012 Olympics.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    I like the Team GB jersey. Always seems to be different to the traditional national jerseys you see.

Have wanted to buy one but thought I'd look like a plonker init :P