Someone is trying to steal my bike..!

denzzz28
denzzz28 Posts: 315
edited February 2012 in Campaign
Went to University this morning with my bike and later when i was about to go home I saw another Kryptonite D lock attached to my bike. as soon as i saw it I know that its a strategy of thieves to steal my bike as it was obviously not accidentally lock by another cyclist. first of all this particular lock locked both the frame and the rear wheel and the detached front wheel all together, it was locked on top of my kryptonite D lock. the modus is that since you cant do anything about it, you will then have to leave it there overnight until you sort out someone to break the lock. and then the bloody thieves will come back at night take off their lock and bolt cut the my one.

I ask help with university security and the said "sorry theres nothing we can do about it". so I called the police and ask for help and they told me that this kind of modus has happened before but unfortunately they said they cant help me "sorry theres nothing we can do about it". so what im going to do now is go back there and power saw that F__king lock. I told the police and security what im going to do and they say its ok with them.

ill post an update about this matter later.

This post serves as a warning to other cyclist. if your bike is locked by someone else, i suggest you dont leave it until the next day to break the other lock because by the time you come back the next day your bike will be long gone.

Comments

• 1-0 for the humble bike owner!!

I manage to cut the damn Lock after 15mins. by the way the lock was a Kryptonite Newyork lock, it was a tough lock but not tough enough for my angle grinder. it was quite uncomfortable doing it though..! especially when people are looking at you thinking "is he stealing the bike" lol!!

so better luck next time BIKE THIEVES!!!! next time make it harder
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    Well done, what bike do you have?
  • lemoncurd wrote:
    Well done, what bike do you have?

Its a Cannondale six full Ultegra
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    Nice, worth getting your grinder out for.
  • I felt so good that i wanted to leave the broken lock with a note saying "Nice try! a__hole!". but thats just inviting more problems so i didnt do it. ill just imagine his face when he comes back and see that the bike is gone and thinking "there goes my £40 lock". lol!
  • Nice work, well done :D
  • epic mate!
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • Did anyone ask you what you were doing/challenge you when you were anglegrinding the lock?
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    ironically I keep looking for a stolen bike of mine and if I ever found it, my Dlock would go straight on it followed by a call to the dibble

I'm guessing the uni doesn't have CCTV ?

although the best method of avoiding bike theft is to get a rubbish cheap bike rather than using the Six, it's a pain to store multiple bikes and annoying that we can't ride the bike we want to but it's preferable to losing your pride and joy
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • pinkbikini wrote:
    Did anyone ask you what you were doing/challenge you when you were anglegrinding the lock?

it was quite late so there was an average 3-4 people passing every minute. I did got a lot of stare but they were mostly amusement rather than suspicion because the sparks that my angle grinder makes was hilarious considering it was dark already. but nobody challenged me what so ever.
  • edhornby wrote:
    ironically I keep looking for a stolen bike of mine and if I ever found it, my Dlock would go straight on it followed by a call to the dibble

I'm guessing the uni doesn't have CCTV ?

although the best method of avoiding bike theft is to get a rubbish cheap bike rather than using the Six, it's a pain to store multiple bikes and annoying that we can't ride the bike we want to but it's preferable to losing your pride and joy

The uni have plenty of CCTV but unfortunately non of them are focus on any of the bike parking areas. i guess they dont give a damn about bike safety.

I use to have another bike for my daily commute but financial difficulty forced me to sell it. so i have no choice but to use my weekend bike for my daily commute. however, my bike is insured so im not too scared for it to get stolen. i could have left it there and get it knicked so i can have a new bike, but i just want to show BIKE THIEVES that they are stupid. that why i went back for it.

although the pain would be my attachment to the bike. so far this bike is the best one i ever had in terms of geometry and comfort that i like. i had 3 previous bikes that i have sold because its just doesnt feel right.. but yeah i agree i should by another less attractive bike for my commute.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    What Uni is this? With the lax security that allows someone to cut a lock off unchallenged I think I might pay it a visit :lol:

Seriously though, glad you managed to protect your bike but as with others I'm not sure I'd be leaving a bike of that standard around - invest in a £50 POS.
  • The only thing to watch out for now is you've pi55ed them off and they may take the angle grinder to your frame. I'd definitly look to get the cash to buy a BSO, or a half decent Ebay job and cover it with insulation tape etc to make it look like a bag of knackers
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    cctv

cameras at the tennis centre filmed thieves breaking int the boot of my wife's car and running off with the computer the whole thing as clear as anything, but the faces very blurry . police totally not interested.

get a hack bike right now.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carlton-Conte ... 2a13c1922f

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Viking-ventur ... 35b4fd5d48
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    A suggsetion for anyone else who finds themsleves in a similar situation, a plastic wrapped note taped to the offending thief's lock, informing them that you are aware of their plan and that they are under surveillance may well put them off.
  • Or the other thing that happens is that the thieves cycle up and put their POS bike on the adjacent position and then lock their POS to yours through the rail. You go away and find someway of breaking out of it and when you come back both bikes are gonners.

Simple answer - Invest in a Stihl saw and then go on the rampage cutting their POS trap bike up and their locks. and then hide round the corner, wait for the thieves to return and turn the stihl saw on them. (Or at least thats what we'd all like to do!!).
    "Commuterised" Specialized Rockhopper Disc 2004.
    FCN #7 - Skinny tyres and Cleats.
    1962 Rory O'Brien Roadie Lightweight. (but heavy by todays standards!)
    FCN #4
    2007 Specialized Roubaix Expert.
    FCN # 1/2 - Cobbly racing tyres and MTB cleats.
  • Once at uni i parked my cheap commuter bike up... i came back from a lecture (in a rush) (to get to the pub) and some fool had not only chained their bike up but also accidentaly chained mine to theirs as well!

Owing to it being a (ridiculous) mistake i didn't get my angle grinder out, but was pretty annoyed about having to walk to and fro from the pub!!!
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    1. You're nuts leaving a good bike in a public place.
    2. You own a portable angle grinder? I think your first post should have said '... but its OK I've got a portable angle grinder I'll just trash the thief's lock and get on with my day'
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so no one stopped or questioned you, are you still going to leave your good bike out in the open for hours on end?

Get a rat bike for the Uni run.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • denzzz28
    denzzz28 Posts: 315
    mr_si wrote:
    2. You own a portable angle grinder? I think your first post should have said '... but its OK I've got a portable angle grinder I'll just trash the thief's lock and get on with my day'

1. its my only bike so i have no choice but to use it for uni. (unless you want to donate one to me)
    2. i just happen to have an angle grinder because im also a keen DIY man.

;)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    denzzz28 wrote:
    mr_si wrote:

1. its my only bike so i have no choice but to use it for uni. (unless you want to donate one to me)
    2. i just happen to have an angle grinder because im also a keen DIY man.

;)

can you affor to replace it?

get a RAT bike (bumblebee auctions) Police recoved bikes for less than a student night out.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    . its my only bike so i have no choice but to use it for uni. (unless you want to donate one to me)

If you keep going like this you will have no bike at all

that carlton I pointed to would, in its day, have done the 100mile club weekend rides and been better than some of the others on the run. It sold for less than 100 pounds. Thieves would not want it.

How much do you want to lose ?

this thing has done huge milage over 30yrs and is worth probably 50pounds if I could sell it, but it is so practical I cannot stop using it and mending it.
    PY10.jpg
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Maybe best not to use a qulaity bike for university. but get yourself a low value one..Had two bikes pinched once.from the entrance of my flat in South Manc.university bedsit-land.The best one went,the older scuffy one (a painted upraleigh royal)dumped a few yards away from my flat in Fallowfirld,..Put top notch components on the old bike and kept it scuffy.. sprayed it amateur style and had it for years with no one ever interested in pinching it.
    jc
  • denzzz28 wrote:
    1-0 for the humble bike owner!!

I manage to cut the damn Lock after 15mins. by the way the lock was a Kryptonite Newyork lock, it was a tough lock but not tough enough for my angle grinder. it was quite uncomfortable doing it though..! especially when people are looking at you thinking "is he stealing the bike" lol!!

so better luck next time BIKE THIEVES!!!! next time make it harder

Great. Congratulations.
  • bus_ter
    bus_ter Posts: 337
    Stealing a bike in plain view? Nobody cares, no one will stop you or challenge you :-(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbklkFuFk-4