PC advice- is this just a bad idea?

Northwind
Northwind Posts: 14,675
edited October 2011 in The hub
My home PC is still on XP, and I'm thinking of bringing it up to Win 7 64 (it already wastes RAM on 32-bit and I want to add a bit more).

Also, coincidentally, i was thinking of buying a cheap laptop to use as a media player and to play ancient games on.

So... Got XP licence. Got XP install disc and can borrow 7 install disc. If I was to buy a laptop with Win 7 Premium 64 on it, that ought to be transferrable to other machines I think. So, use laptop licence on PC and PC licence on laptop.

Bit worried about drivers and such for the laptop though. Disaster waiting to happen?
Uncompromising extremist

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    All the driver should be available online. windows will install what it can and search for the rest.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • add595
    add595 Posts: 196
    Northwind wrote:
    use laptop licence on PC and PC licence on laptop
    Technically that is against Microsoft's EULA, but yes you can do that. The Windows 7 disc must be an OEM version (not retail).

Drivers will be on the Laptop manufacturers website (or maybe not, if it is a crappy Advent or other similar own brand).

Your PC must have a 64-bit processor to run a 64-bit operating system, I assume it does?

I don't know your budget for a laptop, but http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk is a good place to have a look at.

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Toshiba_Satellite_Pro_C650D-10Z_970619.html £289.97

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5552_in_Black_1100440.html £319.99

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/HP_ProBook_4320s_1066236.html £449.50 but you can claim £100 cashback
    2009 Giant Trance X5
    Kinesis Decade Virsa custom build
    Pinnacle Peak 700c hybrid road rat
    Various other parts 'n' projects
  • Northwind
    it's a Q6600 so 64-bit not a problem... Ancient but still decent with its stupendous overclock and cooler the size of my head :lol: I hadn't realised the OEM licences aren't supposed to be transferrable, I think really I want to keep things all totally legit so I might just avoid it entirely then. Thanks for the input

Oh, that HP is right on the money, seems to be a decent spec?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Northwind wrote:
    I think really I want to keep things all totally legit so I might just avoid it entirely then.

MS won't know or care, they spend their time on company's / organisation and countries that cost them millions, not home users who might swap an OEM license, besides most MS employees don't understand the minefield that is licensing either so don't sweat it.
  • Northwind
    Well I was going to take the high moral ground but you have now succesfully encouraged me to steal :lol: You're right enough.

Hmm. Guess all I need now is an OEM disc then... My bro's one is retail. Should be able to blag one off a mate

Cheers!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Mojo_666
    Northwind wrote:
    Well I was going to take the high moral ground but you have now succesfully encouraged me to steal :lol: You're right enough.

Hmm. Guess all I need now is an OEM disc then... My bro's one is retail. Should be able to blag one off a mate

Cheers!

Welcome to the dark side. 8) but really, stealing is a bit strong, it is to software licensing what showing, playing or loaning a DVD or CD to a mate or at a home gathering is really. It is the sort of breach that although technically is illegal no one would EVER peruse, because the monetary loss to the license holder is negligible to nil in "real" terms.
  • Sorry, what mtb tech issues are you having?
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • trooperk
    trooperk Posts: 189
    Northwind wrote:

Bit worried about drivers and such for the laptop though. Disaster waiting to happen?

Friend installed XP on to a new HP laptop running window 7 and found a lot of things didn’t work as the laptop manufacturers see win7 is the future and didn’t bothered to make drivers for XP, took him weeks to sort out so be very careful and do some online research first.
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • Northwind
    Tom Howard wrote:
    Sorry, what mtb tech issues are you having?

Hmm, I thought I posted this in the Hub.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Mojo_666
    Northwind wrote:
    Tom Howard wrote:

This is defiantly in the Hub. :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    trooperk wrote:
    Northwind wrote:

Friend installed XP on to a new HP laptop running window 7 and found a lot of things didn’t work as the laptop manufacturers see win7 is the future and didn’t bothered to make drivers for XP, took him weeks to sort out so be very careful and do some online research first.

This is a definite possibility, you'll need drivers to make the various model specific features on the laptop work, things like the buttons to adjust volume/screen brightness, wi-fi on/off.

Also don't assume the Win 7 that comes with a laptop will install on another computer. I know with some versions of Windows when you register you copy on your newly set up computer it sends a spec of your PC to Microsoft, if you then reinstall and re-register to the specs are compared. If more than two of the major, non peripheral components are different it won't work.

Though often a call to Microsoft denying all knowledge of any wrong doing will sort this.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    Northwind wrote:
    Tom Howard wrote:

yup otherwise you'd be getting people letting you to buy a lime and some string :lol:
  • Northwind
    Sounds like potentially trading a lot of hassle for not an awful lot of saving tbh. Cheers folks!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    jairaj wrote:
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    Northwind wrote:
    Tom Howard wrote:

yup otherwise you'd be getting people letting you to buy a lime and some string :lol:

he can't read BR.com without a working computer ;)
  • Northwind
    That's the other motive behind getting a laptop- when I horribly screw up the rebuild on the desktop I'll be able to go on overclockers and ask them how to fix it from the laptop :lol:

Just ordered a copy of Windows 7, seems like the simpler route all in. Now, graphics card... Ah it's nice when you sell bike bits you forgot you had and suddenly have a budget. Might stretch to a new screen even.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Northwind wrote:
    That's the other motive behind getting a laptop- when I horribly screw up the rebuild on the desktop I'll be able to go on overclockers and ask them how to fix it from the laptop :lol:

Just ordered a copy of Windows 7, seems like the simpler route all in. Now, graphics card... Ah it's nice when you sell bike bits you forgot you had and suddenly have a budget. Might stretch to a new screen even.

Will the budget stretch to a nice 27" iMac?

(Oh comon, it's s thread about PCs, eventualy someone has to say "should have brought a Mac").
  • Northwind
    Well OK, you're welcome to say so but that spec and that price look like pretty good arguments for not buying a mac :lol: It has a laptop graphics card in it :? Lovely screen though.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    RichardSwt wrote:
    Northwind wrote:

(Oh comon, it's s thread about PCs, eventualy someone has to say "should have bought a Mac").

there's your usual apple IQ right there :lol:
  • Anonymous
    RichardSwt wrote:
    Northwind wrote:

(Oh comon, it's s thread about PCs, eventualy someone has to say "should have bought a Mac").

There's your usual Apple IQ right there. :lol:

Now, if you wish to be as droll as going around correcting other peoples grammatical errors on the Internet, make sure you at least have a basic grasp of grammar yourself. :roll: