I blame CityLink

RoadyForever
RoadyForever Posts: 170
edited October 2011 in The bottom bracket
Not quite an I blame Wiggle thread, but I do blame them for using these cowboys!

Ok, so I enter the reference into the tracking website and it says my order will be delivered between 7:30am and 5:30pm on Friday (great, a 10 hour delivery window and I also get this as a text message). I do not understand why they cannot give a more accurate time (even just morning, lunchtime, afternoon) when delivery companies follow the same basic route every day.

I wait around the entire day, checking the tracking website for updates and nothing. I try to phone them at 7:40pm but nobody answers their phones. I check tracking website again and there's an entry at 4pm (which wasn't there before) saying "back on network".

I thought since they never attempted to send it on Friday, they will make an attempt today.. nope! I'll phone them first thing Monday and hopefully, they may deliver on Monday, p1ss poor service.

DHL give a 2 hour window and they deliver!

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    CityLink strikes again, none of their deliveries to me have been trouble free. Like you I've had a 10hr delivery window so waited in all day for them to mess me around. My order with Amazon was delivered at 18:30 by the driver on his way home cause he went to the wrong address 2 hours earlier..
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Their website is fiction, never up to date. It used to be OK so I don't know what's gone wrong.

I've been using them for about 15 years sending parcels every day and they don't cause me many problems, much better than royal mail used to be (but they've improved). Problem with city link is they're a franchise, most branches are good but a few are dreadful.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    I'm not a fan of Sh1tty-Link, I mean City-Link.

I've found that Royal Mail are good on the whole although the service from some Delivery Offices in London has suffered since staffing cut backs.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I hope you dodn't pay a carraige charge ? If you did, demand a refund !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    I blame Wiggle
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Benno68 wrote:
    I'm not a fan of Sh1tty-Link, I mean City-Link.

I've found that Royal Mail are good on the whole although the service from some Delivery Offices in London has suffered since staffing cut backs.

Royal Mail good Citylink bad. Stole a lot of post though... but apologised for it...
  • kamil1891
    kamil1891 Posts: 658
    I'm not a fan too since today. I've been waiting for a bike to arrive and it didn't because they do only special deliveries on Saturdays...Now, I won't be able to collect a bike on Monday as I'll be the entire day at university..

Big disappointment Wiggle...
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    kamil1891 wrote:
    IBig disappointment Wiggle...

Surely big disappointment city link instead. Problem is that since you are Wiggle's customer and in turn Wiggle are City Link's customer, you essentially have no weight with City Link if you have a problem. BTW do Wiggle offer alternative couriers? If I ever buy anything from there I shall be concerned as to whether it will ever arrive. Enough to put me off TBH.

Kind of reminds me of a situation I had with Comet a few years ago. I paid for an 8-12 delivery slot. Woke up at 7.30 to find a card on the doormat saying "sorry we missed you", timed at 06.15 (in fairness I didn't hear the door bell). Rang the delivery centre and they refused to rearrange the delivery for that day. Rang the branch where I bought and paid for the washing machine. Long and short of t 2 red faced delivery men arrived within the hour.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • kamil1891
    kamil1891 Posts: 658
    Mouth
    Surely big disappointment city link instead.

I blame Wiggle because they use such a disappointing service called City Link :lol:
  • I'm not the only one then! They've been responsible for two wiggle orders of mine and both of them they have not even attempted to deliver. The online tracker claims they left a note but they didn't. This has happened three times and I anticipate it happening again on monday!

This means I have to somehow get to the outskirts of Bristol to pick up a freakin' turbo trainer, made pretty difficult when I don't drive and have no idea how big the package is likely to be making using the bus a bit of a gamble... It seems to me that they only use them for larger packages. Anyone else noticed this?

Also, their website isn't even up to date regarding the location of their depot so the first time had me walking around an industrial estate looking for a company that was no longer located there. Shocking company!!

I emailed Wiggle the other day to highlight the issue and enquired as to whether you can specify that they don't use sh1tylink when you order. I shall let you know what they say. To me it's a deal breaker with Wiggle as what is the point getting it delivered if I have to go and pick it up anyway?!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Sh!ttylink or Parcelfarce. Both useless. Vanilla Royal Mail is much better, especially for collection should no one be in for initial delivery.
    When will companies learn that a bad choice of carriers can impact badly on future orders?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    I wouldn't be a fan of most couriers but have yet to have a problem with Wiggles. My gripe is their dispatch process, 4-5 days on standard free delivery,I live 20 mins from CRC so even priority dispatch isn't worth it when I can order over-counter directly and try stuff on.

It's a shame because Wiggles pricing tends to be cheaper
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    City link are dross. They lost my new bike and then delivered it after wiggle had refunded my card and I'd ordered a replacement, and last week they dropped my new bryton at a neighbours and didn't bother putting a card through the door. The box was wrecked too.

They are shite.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    If you all drop an email to Wiggle, complaining, perhaps we can persuade Wiggle to offer the choice of different couriers? Personally all my Wiggle orders have come via Royal Mail and I've not had a problem. I also find my Parcelforce driver is really good.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Never forget the CityLink delivery driver pushing my carbon steed out of the back of the van and onto the road.

He was well pissed off I made him wait whilst I unpacked it and meticulously examined it for damage.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Gizmodo wrote:
    If you all drop an email to Wiggle, complaining, perhaps we can persuade Wiggle to offer the choice of different couriers? Personally all my Wiggle orders have come via Royal Mail and I've not had a problem. I also find my Parcelforce driver is really good.
    Might be worth a try, they only use city link on the higher value orders, which are exactly the ones I wouldn't want them near!

That said a couple of years ago royal mail left a box full of goodies on my doorstep in a wiggle box, about £100 worth of stuff just left outside.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • johncp
    johncp Posts: 302
    My nearest sh!ttylink is 50 miles away, they won't leave stuff without a signature (I'm in a rural area and other couriers will leave in shed etc, very safe) and there's no way I'm taking a day off work for a delivery, so... whenever I order from Wiggle I state in the delivery details box to "Please do NOT use CityLink, depot too far away" so far has worked a treat :D
    If you haven't got a headwind you're not trying hard enough
  • ducknumber1
    ducknumber1 Posts: 1,155
    Was considering buying a new bike from the internet, think I'll stick to LBS
  • Hi I work for city link and think I should clear up a few things said on here. city link is not a franchise business at all. It was in the past but that's over 4 years ago now. Secondly city link work on an eta system where as a driver we have a 30 minute window to deliver your goods in so check the website or call the office and they can tell you when the driver will arrive. As for not leaving goods with out a signature that is not a city link thing that is what the customer in this wiggle stipulate. I assure you your driver does not want to return your goods to the depot and have to bring them back again the next day. As for the guy who had his bike thrown out the van and had to check the carbon frame. That is out of order. I would never do that but as a rider I do take more care of wiggle and other bike related stuff because I do know how delicate and expensive the goods can be. I myself had a bike delivered by a rival company that was damaged and instead of trusting them to deliver the replacement I actually drove the 8 hour round trip to take the damaged one back and pick up the new on. I hope this helps.
  • Johncp wrote:
    My nearest sh!ttylink is 50 miles away, they won't leave stuff without a signature (I'm in a rural area and other couriers will leave in shed etc, very safe) and there's no way I'm taking a day off work for a delivery, so... whenever I order from Wiggle I state in the delivery details box to "Please do NOT use CityLink, depot too far away" so far has worked a treat :D
    I will try this in future. The order was for a little over £400 (for a Garmin 800 + cadence + hr strap, windproof jersey, bib shorts a good deal!), so I guess I got 'special' service. I didn't pay the bribe so Wiggle sat on the order for a few days (it was placed Monday afternoon). This has screwed up my plans for Friday and the weekend.

I will be making a complaint to CityLink, although I think it will be a little pointless as they don't seem to be too hot on communication as the phone number for the local depot (30 miles away) is out of date, nor do they have an email address on their website. I'll [try and] phone them first thing to get a better time. I'll also forward that to Wiggle to make them aware of these shenanigans and maybe link to this thread.

I better get some Haribo..
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I've had so many issues with city link i will NEVER use them again. If i need a high value item then wiggle won't get my business. I'll only use wiggle for items of lowish value that i can trust royal mail 1st class to deliver.

Many times I've missed a delivery and NO card has been left so i could not even collect from the local depot. I did have my suspicions that the driver couldn't be arsed to deliver and 1 day my suspicions were discovered to be correct.

My final straw was trying to send a large item back to wiggle. I booked city link via parcel2go. I waited in ALL day, only for city links website site to say "collection attempted. Site closed NO one in"

Now i do live in a new build block with a building site at the end of my road. Sadly for city link every room in my flat overlooks the road and i was able to look out ALL day and at no time did they try to collect.

I rebooked for another day and yet again did not even bother to come out!!!

It wasn't so bad when there was a depot relatively close to me in Cricklewood so i could collect if need be, but now that has closed and moved to Acton it is too much hassle to risk it.

I also had first hand experience with city link in a previous job. Again they were so unreliable that my company chucked them and moved to another courier!!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The not leaving card issue is one that pees me right off. When it's happened and I've phoned the depot, which is 100% of the time I'm told either the driver has run out of cards or they are waiting delivery of more cards. Surely if the driver runs out of cards/notes then he should make sure he has some in his van for teh following day and if the depot has run out they better not let CityLink be the couriers.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • CrackFox
    CrackFox Posts: 287
    Johncp wrote:
    I state in the delivery details box to "Please do NOT use CityLink, depot too far away" so far has worked a treat :D

I hated CityLink when I lived in the UK - eventually got to the point where I stopped buying from websites that did not offer an alternative courier. With Parcel-Force I could get missed deliveries redirected to my local Post Office for collection at my convenience. With City Link, I'd lose most of my Saturday morning trying to get from Nottingham to their depot in Derbyshire to pick up my parcel before they closed. :evil:
  • I've expressed my frustration with both Wiggle (for using CityLink) and CityLink and the response has been encouraging.

Wiggle state that CityLink is used with high value and heavy items and that you can't request they don't use them. However, if you're making an order of multiple items that would put the cost or weight high enough for them to use CityLink you can put them in as separate orders and they will be sent as such and using Royal Mail.

My response from CItyLink was that they would attempt the redelivery today and that the driver has been given my contact details so he/she can get in touch if there are any issues. If they fail to make the delivery today I shall be p1ssed!
  • NWLondoner
    Well if thats Wiggle's response then Chain Reaction and ProbikeKit will get my business.
  • NWLondoner wrote:
    Well if thats Wiggle's response then Chain Reaction and ProbikeKit will get my business.
    Do you know who they use? I've only ever had small items from CRC and it's been with Royal Mail...
  • NWLondoner
    They use parcel force for larger items. And with them you can SELECT your delivery options. i,e saturday delivery.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    I'm surprised that City LInk are still in business, I avoid them whenever possible.
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • I HATE CITYLINK (and nearly every other courier)

I live 30 miles from the nearest city.When I've paid extra for next day delivery it takes 2 days to arrive.
    IME there's only 1 company can do next day delivery where I live and that's Royal Mail, I must be the only person who doesn't agree with any criticim of them

In Wiggles favour I phoned them and sent some feedback regarding they're use of Citylink and since then I always recieve any packages from Royal Mail. Top marks to Wiggle for that.
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • NWLondoner
    PHONE Wiggle!!! LOL thought they avoided the phone like the plague.

Whenever i've emailed them with queries they quite frankly couldn't give a toss.

I have an Evans within walking distance and with their very good price match facility it looks like they will get more business.