warranty problems

Kaise
Kaise Posts: 2,498
edited October 2011 in The hub
this isnt bike related so it may get moved but i am asking here as i trust the opinions i have got from you guys in the past.

The Situation
Macbook pro damaged by girlfriend spilling beer on the keyboard

Resolution
Home insurance paying out on the repair,
Apple replacing Keyboard and Track pad

Problem
Insurance company want me to have the old part returned to me incase they want to inspect them, i checked this morning and they still want this. Apple wont give me the parts as apparently they now own the parts as the new ones were supplied at a subsidised price, this was never made clear or even mentioned to me throught the whole process of getting it repaired.

Question
Am i entitled to have the old parts back?

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Speak to Apple and explain the situation, get the name and a reference number pass these onto your insurance company and let them deal with it.

Its your Insurance companys duty to sort all aspects of a claim.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Interesting. My computers HD failed and I called out the warranty repair. They wanted to keep the disk but the reason was that they had to prove that they had done the repair. This is a complete FFS if an authorised repair centre is distrusted by the mfg.

But, I can see that they do own the thing.

When I had a tooth out, I was not allowed to keep it but I don't think that episode helps you too much.
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    When I had a tooth out, I was not allowed to keep it but I don't think that episode helps you too much.

I had my spleen out when I was 15, I wasn't allowed to keep it either.

I think that went off to France to make lipstick, or Pâté ?
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    If you were not told before you sent it off of the need to return them, how could you? Most repair shops would throw it away or recycle whatever they can. Maybe try explaining to your insurers that you got them a better price on the repair?
  • If you ask them, i'm sure the Apple store you had it repaired at will provide you with a written statement confirming the repair (if the receipt detailing the repair work isn't good enough as it's all on there)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    all sorted, the apple store sorted a statement out as someone said above.

they have done a very good job, and by the i mean they have replaced the entire unit body with keyboard and trackpad and fitted my HD and memory into it as well as screen

well chuffed feels like new again!

two years old and as good as new, wouldn't be able to say that if it were a dell thats for sure (from experience of 3 failed previous laptops)
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    You would if you replaced everything in the Dell after 2 years.

Trigger's broom comes to mind...