What is a block headwind?

graeme_s-2
graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
edited October 2011 in Pro race
While cycling to work this morning and struggling into a headwind, I found myself pondering the term "block headwind". You frequently hear cycling commentators describe the wind in this way, but what is it? Is my common commuter headwind the same thing, or is this some kind of special headwind that only effects pro cyclists?

Comments

• dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I've always assumed they meant absolutely head on, rather than an angle.

Personally I find when I'm tired it's always a block headwind :D
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Never heard of it myself, but it sounds like the mythical headwind that a lot of cyclists swear exists - it's against you the whole way round the block. :wink:
  • bompington wrote:
    Never heard of it myself, but it sounds like the mythical headwind that a lot of cyclists swear exists - it's against you the whole way round the block. :wink:

There's nothing mythical about those!
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    My personal interpretation of a block head wind is a wind that blows directly in opposition to the desired direction of travel and a head wind can be at an angle to that up to but not including 90deg either side of the direction of travel. Bear in mind that if you travel at 20mph with no gradient wind (that which gets checked at athletic events for record purposes) you will create a block head wind of 20mph. This is why some cycle track records are ideally made in thin air resulting from either high altitude and/or low air pressure. An apparent wind can be the result of the progress made by an object through the air plus or minus the actual movement of air that it passes through. Queue vector diagrams. :shock:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yep thats what i have it as a full on headwind.

If you think thats bad though - I went kayaking at the weekend. Went upstream for 7 miles and looking forward to an easier return with the current. Unfortunately forgot about tides, and there was a high tide. Ended up paddling back against the current too !
  • Ron Stuart
    cougie wrote:
    Yep thats what i have it as a full on headwind.

If you think thats bad though - I went kayaking at the weekend. Went upstream for 7 miles and looking forward to an easier return with the current. Unfortunately forgot about tides, and there was a high tide. Ended up paddling back against the current too !

Hug the banks, the water moves slower near the banks. Sometimes if there is an indentation into the bank the water actually flows in a circular motion around the inlet. This can be found on a large scale in bays along the south coast of England. It's the headlands that 'catch the tide' and redirects it inwards towards the bays around in a counter clockwise direction even though the tide is coming in from the west. Same thing can happen when the flow reverses and there will be places around the bay where apart from slack water (highest or lowest point of tide) it only flows in one direction.
    Great fun on the inland side of the Isle of Wight there you have two tides one from the west then after it would normally start to ebb (empty) there is another tide coming in from the east.

Keep with deep water when it's with you and the banks when it's against.

Old sailor speaking :roll:
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    edited October 2011
    Nominations are now closed on the BR Forum Award for the Most Depressingly Dull Thread...we have our winner :lol:

And don't give me any cr@p about the season has finished, truely there is no excuse

wind :roll:
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • josame
    14,000 + posts Cougie....

Do you actually have time to ride a bike??
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • Is josame stepping in as the new forum stalker? Cougie, I would start shredding your rubbish for the time being.

:lol:
  • Ron Stuart
    What's more depressing a dull thread or someone that reads dull threads and responds:?:
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I thought this was a great thread, right up until someone mentioned riding a bike. What is it with these people and riding a bike?
  • josame
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    What's more depressing a dull thread or someone that reads dull threads and responds:?:

For me, well i find it more depressing when people complain about complainers and then can't get the question icon to work
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    josame wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:

For me, well i find it more depressing when people complain about complainers and then can't get the question icon to work
    I wish to complain about the complainer who's complaining at the people complaining at the complainers
  • josame
    bompington wrote:
    josame wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:

I wish to complain about the complainer who's complaining at the people complaining at the complainers

Be my guest ...why not start a thread!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Less than 5 posts a day josame ! Plenty of time to ride and more.
    Thanks for your interest though.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,871
    A bloc headwind is an even headwind. As opposed to a gusty headwind.
  • josame
    cougie wrote:
    Less than 5 posts a day josame ! Plenty of time to ride and more.
    Thanks for your interest though.

I like yer logic Cougie..but.. miss a day and it's 10 the next!

returning from hols must be hectic :shock: (spose there is good ol blackberry :wink: )
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    josame wrote:

I like yer logic Cougie..but.. miss a day and it's 10 the next!

No, miss a day then it's an additional 5 posts to spread across the 7 years that he has been posting.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French