Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Who on BR has bought a 'cheap' Chinese carbon frame?

13739414243

Posts

  • got a response to my email from ti-bikes.com in less than half an hour;

    OK! I see,we can supply one Ti road frame to you.Please you
    see our attached the road frame geometry list.

    Our price is following:
    Ti standard road frame
    FOB XI'AN USD495.00/set 1set USD495.00
    Shipping costs(EMS express):USD165.00
    Bank fee:USD40.00
    Total:USD700.00

    Another,we also can make one Ti custom road frame for you,so
    the extra costs will be USD100.00.

    So...not super cheap but I could still build up a nice spec bike for less than i could buy one complete.
  • DavidJBDavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Always wanted to pull the trigger on some Chi carbon wheels but just can't being myself to do it!! Wish I could get over the fact that they are unbranded and the link that it means unsafe or of poor quality.
  • Monty DogMonty Dog Posts: 20,614
    motor city wrote:
    got a response to my email from ti-bikes.com in less than half an hour;

    OK! I see,we can supply one Ti road frame to you.Please you
    see our attached the road frame geometry list.

    Our price is following:
    Ti standard road frame
    FOB XI'AN USD495.00/set 1set USD495.00
    Shipping costs(EMS express):USD165.00
    Bank fee:USD40.00
    Total:USD700.00

    Another,we also can make one Ti custom road frame for you,so
    the extra costs will be USD100.00.

    So...not super cheap but I could still build up a nice spec bike for less than i could buy one complete.

    FWIW Ti Bikes is Xi'an / Changda titanium - there's a thread on them over on RBR too. Just placed an order for 3 custom ti CX frames with them and delivery is 5 weeks. I've had a Xi'an custom frame for 5 years and despite lots of abuse, it's still going strong. My latest is a Ritchey Breakaway copy but with BB86 bottom bracket and Breezer-style drop-outs to aid drivetrain stiffness.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • mrolimroli Posts: 3,622
    Monty - the Ritchey breakway copy - where did you get it? And is it a decent/effective breakaway bike? I really want one, but the cost is prohibitive - is this a good alternative option?
  • Canny JockCanny Jock Posts: 1,051
    So I'm probably being dumb but can't work out how to search the thread, and I have a question which has probably been asked a few times, so apologies in advance.

    Are any of the 'reputable' chinese carbon frames suitable as a winter bike? I'm thinking about one to replace the Ribble, but need it to take 25c tyres and crud guards.

    Anyone point me in the right direction?
  • chunkytfgchunkytfg Posts: 358
    Has anyone got the Stack and reach measurements for any of the Chinese TT frames? I'm looking for a tall and narrow frame to slowly build a TT bike over the winter from but the gemoetry tables I have found dont list them
    FCN 7

    FCN 4

    if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • Canny JockCanny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Canny Jock wrote:
    So I'm probably being dumb but can't work out how to search the thread, and I have a question which has probably been asked a few times, so apologies in advance.

    Are any of the 'reputable' chinese carbon frames suitable as a winter bike? I'm thinking about one to replace the Ribble, but need it to take 25c tyres and crud guards.

    Anyone point me in the right direction?

    A bump to see if anyone has used one of these as a winter/commuter?
  • rolf_frolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Canny Jock wrote:
    A bump to see if anyone has used one of these as a winter/commuter?

    My Ribble Gran Fondo frame isn't one that is available from these sources but is much the same - I have been using it as a commuter and still am at the moment. It has been fine. The Crud Road Racers help keep the censored off the moving bits and the bike still looks fine. I do clean it after every mucky ride though.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Canny JockCanny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Thanks Rolf. What size tyres?
  • Monty DogMonty Dog Posts: 20,614
    mroli wrote:
    Monty - the Ritchey breakway copy - where did you get it? And is it a decent/effective breakaway bike? I really want one, but the cost is prohibitive - is this a good alternative option?

    Frame is under construction with Xi'an Titanium and expect delivery in 4 weeks, so can't vouch for it until I receive it. You do pay a healthy premium for any custom options, but it's still way cheaper than the Breakaway Ti cross. PM me if you want more details - there used to be a huge Chinese Titanium thread on here a few years ago.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rolf_frolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Canny Jock wrote:
    Thanks Rolf. What size tyres?
    23mm Durano S from HighonBikes. Slightly bothersome as I was running 25mm Duranos which are now on the posh bike!

    That said, the narrower tyres are not a bother for me.The Cruds make a huge difference. So much so that they are now on permanently - there were enough rainy days this summer for it really not to make sense to leave them off.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Chip \'oylerChip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Monty Dog wrote:
    mroli wrote:
    Monty - the Ritchey breakway copy - where did you get it? And is it a decent/effective breakaway bike? I really want one, but the cost is prohibitive - is this a good alternative option?

    Frame is under construction with Xi'an Titanium and expect delivery in 4 weeks, so can't vouch for it until I receive it. You do pay a healthy premium for any custom options, but it's still way cheaper than the Breakaway Ti cross. PM me if you want more details - there used to be a huge Chinese Titanium thread on here a few years ago.

    Doesn't really sit with your signature though?
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

    http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • nielsamdnielsamd Posts: 174
    I'm not clear about this `Breakaway copy'.......
    Does `copy' imply just the geometry, or does it include the actual frame dividing feature? i.e. did I miss this somewhere on their website?

    The way airlines are charging for things these days it would be great to just have a bike in a large suitcase padded with clothes. But the Breakaway and S&S couplers just aren't cost effective for less than 1/2 a dozen trips a year!
  • boondogboondog Posts: 205
    Well I was able to get my FM039 built today, one word sums it up.... AMAZING,
    looks good, can I ask where you bought it from and what price ? just had a quote and the lead time was 70 days !
    is this frame BB30 only ?
  • I got it from Hong Fu, I originally wanted 3k weave in the raw but they had the 12k gloss in stock so went with that, they do the frame in BB30 and BSA and also the option for Di2 cabling
  • boondogboondog Posts: 205
    Ok thanks, they say they have BB30 in stock otherwise a 70 day delay. That's quite a lead time. Trouble is I already bought the chain set, and it's not BB30
  • You can get an adapter that will allow a BSA bottom bracket to be fitted to a BB30:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=44067
  • boondogboondog Posts: 205
    Thanks for that, I didn't realise you could do that. :) Happy days
  • Well ive got some interestinbg news regarding my chineseframe....

    Before a group ride the other morning i noticed a lot of flex around the bars/stem/headset/headtube... I rode anyway and nothing happened, but when i got home had another look and realised that there was a LOT of flex the whole front end was moving nearly a centimetre in all directions.

    I took it down to my lbs (who i trust) and after having a fiddle with the headset and things they confirmed my fears, the problem is the structural integrity of the headtube. In short, my frame isnt safe to ride.

    Im not suggesting that all chinese frames are now going to fall apart because we all know that any bike can fail, but it does leave me a feeling a little uneasy about all the cheap frames out there.

    Personally, although my frame is broken im still happy i purchased it. It was the best i could afford at the time, and i said all along that if it lasts me 6 months and doesnt kill me then it will have been a bargain. I had a great time riding it.

    Plus, now i have an excuse to build up a new bike for my first seasons racing.

    always look on the bright side of life....etc etc
  • petemadocpetemadoc Posts: 2,667
    Well ive got some interestinbg news regarding my chineseframe....

    Before a group ride the other morning i noticed a lot of flex around the bars/stem/headset/headtube... I rode anyway and nothing happened, but when i got home had another look and realised that there was a LOT of flex the whole front end was moving nearly a centimetre in all directions.

    I took it down to my lbs (who i trust) and after having a fiddle with the headset and things they confirmed my fears, the problem is the structural integrity of the headtube. In short, my frame isnt safe to ride.

    Im not suggesting that all chinese frames are now going to fall apart because we all know that any bike can fail, but it does leave me a feeling a little uneasy about all the cheap frames out there.

    Personally, although my frame is broken im still happy i purchased it. It was the best i could afford at the time, and i said all along that if it lasts me 6 months and doesnt kill me then it will have been a bargain. I had a great time riding it.

    Plus, now i have an excuse to build up a new bike for my first seasons racing.

    always look on the bright side of life....etc etc

    Not good . . .

    Which frame do you have and where did you get it?
  • Afternoon all
    Just received my FM028 from Dengfu plus integrated bars and a few other bits. All looks very nice in 3k Matt clear.

    Only think that's caught my eye is a small but uniform and deliberate looking flat spot on the seat tube where you might expect to see a braze on front dérailleur bracket. The frame doesnt look damaged there in any way. I know the frame is sold as a band on but just wondered if any other FM028 owners have this? To be honest if it's not supposed to be there I think it's too small to be of any significance.
  • alihisgreatalihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    BeaconJon wrote:
    Afternoon all
    Just received my FM028 from Dengfu plus integrated bars and a few other bits. All looks very nice in 3k Matt clear.

    Only think that's caught my eye is a small but uniform and deliberate looking flat spot on the seat tube where you might expect to see a braze on front dérailleur bracket. The frame doesnt look damaged there in any way. I know the frame is sold as a band on but just wondered if any other FM028 owners have this? To be honest if it's not supposed to be there I think it's too small to be of any significance.

    You'll have a better chance of an answer if you ask here: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/bikes-frames-forks/chinese-carbon-thread-ebay-direct-version-5-0-a-241785.html
  • protoproto Posts: 1,483
    I'd like to see a picture but I suspect that is supposed to be there. Small indentation right below the band area of a front mech, which I think is to give clearance for the front mech cage. My aluminium Cinelli has a depression in the tube as you describe.
  • petemadocpetemadoc Posts: 2,667
    proto wrote:
    I'd like to see a picture but I suspect that is supposed to be there. Small indentation right below the band area of a front mech, which I think is to give clearance for the front mech cage. My aluminium Cinelli has a depression in the tube as you describe.

    ^ this

    it's meant to be there
  • protoproto Posts: 1,483
    Looking down the seat tube, with the top tube at 12 o'clock and the back wheel at 6 o'clock, the depression is at 4 o'clock. Hope that makes sense. :)
  • Yep, that's exactly where it is. That's put my mind at rest. Thanks for the feedback
  • Wirral_paulWirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    BeaconJon wrote:
    Yep, that's exactly where it is. That's put my mind at rest. Thanks for the feedback

    I've got the same frame (FM028) and the reason will become clear when you fit your front mech. My SRAM Force lower pivot point sits just at the level of the indent. I'm guessing some mech's could come very close to fouling the tube - its just to give extra clearance
  • I'll be running a Campag Chorus 11 on the front. Hopefully it won't present any problems.
Sign In or Register to comment.