Laptop screen issue

sheepsteeth
sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
edited October 2011 in The hub
a short while ago, whilst surfing the web, my screen suddenly went all funny and looked like a magic eye picture.

i couldnt change it or see the mouse pointer or call up the device manager thingy or anything.

i turned the funcker off at the power switch and tried to reboot.

the computer has rebooted as i can here it running but the screen is black, totally black, no life or light.

What could be the reason for such an occurance?

ive got laptop insurance so will take it in to get fixed tomorrow but im exceptionally annoyed with it.

ive tried pressing the function key which controls the screen output but the screen is completely dead, sideways!

Comments

• Apple or pc?
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Checked all the plugs ect?
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    do you have an external monitor/LCD TV you could try it with? It is likely the screen, the ribbon or screen can go bad but it might also be a video device issue (not this if look OK on another monitor). If it works with another screen, back up data in case it is replaced

Can certainly be fixed or replaced.
    FCN 12
  • sheepsteeth
    forgot to say, its a windows laptop.

i will try the old plugging a screen in sketch and see what occurs, good tip.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Sounds like your video card is shot.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • faulty mobo - signal cable - LCD invertor - LCD Back lamps - faulty LCD panel

could be anything
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Maybe you are blind?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Or based on my extensive knowledge of the interwebs, it was probably just shocked by the shonky sites you frequent.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Apologies, thought I was in Cruddy - did wonder about the more sensible answers.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    nvidea graphics?

sounds like the chip has overheated and come away from the board.

They can be fixed, to go it properly it needs reballing :lol: or they can be heated with heat gun/gas cat, toaster oven... for a temporary repair
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • sheepsteeth
    just got it back today (finally put it in for repair a week ago), the repair paperwork said they had to replace the main board, whatever that means.

its nice to be using a proper sized screen again (my laptop screen is 17inches) after using a net book for a while!
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    Sheeps, is it HP/Compaq by chance ?
  • sheepsteeth
    its a packard bell.

i think part of the problem stemmed from the previous work i had done a few weeks before the thread was started.

i threw the laptop at the wall in a girly hissy fit and it got sent away for repair, it ended up needing a new screen, top and bottom cover, touch pad, battery, mother board, dvd drive and hard drive (it is basicly now triggers broom!) the only original part is most of the key board and the plastic that you rest your wrist on whislt typing.

i cant believe they could replace so much of it under warranty cheaper thanjust replacing it!
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    *AL* wrote:

That was where I was going with the nvidea hp/compaq issue, dont know if it covers other makes. I've shimmed my processor, gpu and north-bridge with copper sheets and artic silver on one, IC diamond 24 on the other laptop instead of oem pads. temps dropped about the same for both compounds.
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    *AL* wrote:

My last laptop was HP and suffered from the CPU, GPU and Wireless lifting with the heat from the motherboard due to wrong compounds been used by HP. They wanted £200 to fix it. Never bought HP again with that kind of customer service.
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    CraigXXL wrote:
    *AL* wrote:

My last laptop was HP and suffered from the CPU, GPU and Wireless lifting with the heat from the motherboard due to wrong compounds been used by HP. They wanted £200 to fix it. Never bought HP again with that kind of customer service.

The 1st time it happened it was inside the warranty period so it was fixed FOC, the 2nd time it happened :roll: it was 9 days past the end of the new warranty period and they refused to repair it, although I pointed out that as it died the same death twice, surely they didn't repair it properly the 1st time ?

We are also a HP free zone now !
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Mine was only a few weeks outside warranty too. HP have lost £1000's in lost sales from me as I also do my works IT purchases and they don't even get a look in anymore.
  • MrChrisP
    MrChrisP Posts: 321
    If you have a laptop that was bought pre 2009 and the NVidia gfx mess up then the company must under consumer law replace / repair it free of charge.

I had to go through a 10 month battle with Sony to get mine repaired during which time I bought another laptop from a more customer focused company. The Sony has been repaired and is now used to prop open the living room door, or any other door that requires being held open.

Just to confirm, I bought the Sony in 2008 with the standard 1 year warranty. It was in July 2010 that the fault happened so it was well out of warranty but after swotting up on the Sale of Goods act and then quoting a few lines about their legal obligation it was all fixed for free.
    Kona Stinky Six
    Kona Scrap
    Scott YZ4