Tyre advice needed

add595
add595 Posts: 196
edited October 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hello all.

I am after some new tyres...

I have two pairs of tyres I use on my Saracen. A pair of IRC Mythos XC semi slick's which I use 99% of the time. I also have the original pair of Nokian Gazzaloddi Mud tyres which I don't use often as they are big, heavy & slow things.

I want some 'fast knobbly' tyres, if there is such a thing. They should be up to the task of Dalby Forest on Sunday!

I have been looking at these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/280743056331

Are they any good? They seem too cheap, which is actually off putting!

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
2009 Giant Trance X5
Kinesis Decade Virsa custom build
Pinnacle Peak 700c hybrid road rat
Various other parts 'n' projects

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They're cheap because they are very basic - hard compound, wire bead and weight like an anchor.

You need to spend a bit more if youwant light, fast rolling tyres.
  • http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Continental-X ... 484228133b

I can recommend these i have the RaceSport version and they are very quick and very grippy tried them in the dry wet they have never let me down. They will be able to manage Dalby fine.
  • add595
    There was a (new) pair of 2.2" folding Continental X-King's on ebay for a lower price... They are now sold! :)

I am holding you personally responsible if they are no good 'JamesS156'

Only joking.

Thanks for the advice all.
    2009 Giant Trance X5
  • They will be fine i havent tried mine at dalby yet but they will be great im sure. :D
  • i'm currently using Kenda Nevagal DTC tomac tyres on my Saracen at the moment.

So far they are the best all round tyre I have used. I tried Conti MK's, but found they punchtured to easily! Also, michelin XC tyres are pretty good and well priced!

Good luck!
    Boardman Comp 2011 Hardtail
  • add595
    Argh you've got me worried about puncture resistance now!

The mountain king's tread looks more sparse than the x-king though, so hopefully will be less prone?
    2009 Giant Trance X5
  • I wouldn't worry too much, punchtures are mostly down to bad luck IMO....

I use some Panaracer tyre liners with my Kenda's, resulting in 0 punchtures in a year and a half of regular riding 8)
    Boardman Comp 2011 Hardtail
  • I haven't had a puncture on my XKing Racesports yet. Report back how the standard XKings cope :D
  • add595
    Well I received my "folding" tyres today. They were in a suspiciously large and rigid package (giggity).

You guessed it, they are not folding at all! They were twist-folded in half though so the bead was slightly bent in places. I have straightened them out and I am happy with them otherwise.

I shall be having a word with the seller!

Thanks again all.
    2009 Giant Trance X5
  • add595
    (Apologies for double post!)

I ordered a new pair from Next Day Tyres, went for steel bead as can't justify the extra cost of folding for a 60 gram weight reduction.

Did all twenty-odd miles of Dalby Forest red route on Sunday, absolutely epic.

The X-King's were ideal on the slightly moist, hard pack surfaces. They roll really fast, and felt fine on the rocks and uphill sections. No punctures.

I suspect they would struggle if the ground was really wet and muddy.

I will be recommending these to others.
    2009 Giant Trance X5