Salt

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited October 2011 in The bottom bracket
We're told to eat no more than 6g of salt a day (adults). Personally I monitor my blood pressure (the claimed effect) so I don't feel the need to concentrate on the (claimed) cause - salt intake.

However, since on a nice hot October day ride (never thought I'd type that :) ) I can scrape the best part of 6g of salt off my helmet straps this limit must be the average of a wide range. Does anyone know if the intake has been specified in terms of active, semi-active etc.?
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• Stop worrying about it, that'll do wonders for your blood pressure :wink:
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Stop worrying about it, that'll do wonders for your blood pressure :wink:

Oh, I don't worry about it but I like to keep a check on the quality of advice offered by "those who know what's good for me". :lol:
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • I love salt, i'm sure I have more than is good for me, i even have salt and pepper butties.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • As a serious answer, I once remember hearing that the 6g a day is for everyone regardless but I really don't know.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • More health bollocks!
    Vigorous exercise = sweat like a bitch = loss of salt.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • I put a bit of salt into my water bottle and tell myself it's an electrolyte. Then I put lime cordial in and tell myself it's now got refreshing energy-giving sugars in it. On a good day, I'll add some freshly-squeezed lemon juice, and then I have a balanced energy drink with vitamins and electrolytes.

Of course, we all know that it's the Thames water that's giving me the feel-good factor....

Seriously though, adding a judicious pinch of salt, particularly in Summer, seems to stop me getting cramps the following night.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    The worst thing is the havoc it plays with my chain and gearage in the winter.
  • More health bollocks!
    Vigorous exercise = sweat like a ***** = loss of salt.

+1
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    You have to replace what you excrete (sweat) so increasing the salt intake that is meant for couch potatoes makes perfect sense. If you don't, you'll cramp up badly.

Also, drink lots of water.
    If you're riding hard and you stop sweating, drink more.

Generally the health advice is aimed at couch potatoes not athletes (like us). When I'm riding hard, I increase my salt intake and generally eat whatever I like (including fatty foods, salty foods etc) and I struggle to maintain my weight at over 12 stone (76kg) which is still a slap bang in the 'healthy' middle of the BMI range for someone of my height (6'2") but I'm as skinny as a rake.

I would suggest that you take the health advice with a pinch of salt!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Do you feel ill? No, carry on as before...

Do you feel ill? Yes. Do you need a doctor? No, carry on as before...

We are told many things in life - don't eact cheese before bed, drinking alcohol is bad for you - but i fn love cheese and port, but not for breakfast.

I have tried all sorts of things to get rid of cramps and come to the conclusion I need to train longer and MTFU as they have all made not difference at all.

+1 on drinking the water thing though.
  • This is just the same as Calorie recommendations for men and woman (2500, 2000), which are designed for people who think a 30min walk is exercise. Obviously they don't not sweat during this time (if they do, they have bigger problems). Your body does actually need salt, I can't find a decent source as to how much the body actually looses when sweating, but it can easily be as high as 1-2 per hour.

Same goes for only drinking 2 litres of water a day..
  • tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    It would be nice to think that the manufacturers of sports rehydration drinks added more than just salt to replace the stuff you sweat out.