Wales to host pro one-day race in 2012

SLX01
SLX01 Posts: 338
edited October 2011 in Pro race
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... -2012.html

Should be a good year for watching the Pros in the Uk next year with the ToB, Olympics and now a one day event! :P

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Excellent.

Some proper cycling.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Excellent :D

Strangely, I was thinking last week of what would make an excellent course for a 'classic' in Wales (my route would have been more challenging! :lol: ).
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Great news.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Great news, might be a good day out or short break, especially if it's kermesse style like vattenfall :D
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    Excellent news and nowt to do with that London! :D
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Great news - but as Leicesterlad says, about time

It's a disgrace that the Uk as increasingly one of the prominent countries in cycling performance-wise has so ridiculously few UCI-categorised international races. ToB and that East Midlands race. That's it. That's pathetic even compared with other non-traditional pro cycling countries.

South Wales whould be great terrain for a pro race. Hope other areas follow
  • SLX01
    FJS wrote:

If the roads around London get much worse we could run our own version of the Paris Roubaix!
  • FJS wrote:
    Great news - but as Leicesterlad says, about time

It's a disgrace that the Uk as increasingly one of the prominent countries in cycling performance-wise has so ridiculously few UCI-categorised international races. ToB and that East Midlands race. That's it. That's pathetic even compared with other non-traditional pro cycling countries.

Problem in Britain is all of the red tape I imagine needs hacking at with a chainsaw, all the talk of cost, cost, cost, councils kicking up a fuss about road closures etc, Britain hates a challenge, and to get more races going over here it would take years of negotiation, shall we sharn't we, drawing up budgets, handing in applications blah blah blah. I hope the popularity of this years ToB might stir some more interest, along with the domestic series which has been flying the last couple of years, who know's, but hey i shouldn't moan, its a start at least!
  • I look forward to reading more, it just needs an interesting route and some clever marketing. Perhaps my memories of the Wincanton Classic are clouding my expectations. I do like the wider involvement via open events for the public proposed at this early stage that's a good start.
  • Pross
    Soith Wales gas got a strong tradition in decent quality road races. As well as several Nationals Bill Owen has put on numerous domestic pro events over the years, the ToB in various forms has been a regular to the area and there was a round of the women's world cup in the area a few years back. The NEG has police delegated powers in the area and I think with Welsh Government support closures should work well. I think locals are also fairly accepting of closures if they have advanced warning (although there were lots moaning in Caerphilly the other week!). I just hope the route makes the most of the rolling terrain.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    There's one major problem with this:

There's a Sportif
    ...on my doorstep
    ...in the week of my 40th birthday

I'm going to have to get fit aren't I?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    There's one major problem with this:

There's a Sportif
    ...on my doorstep
    ...in the week of my 40th birthday

I'm going to have to get fit aren't I?

I believe the word is ''Fu***d''.
  • Was thinking the other day why Wales didn't have a one-day race! Amazing routes to choose from...
  • Salsiccia
    Salsiccia Posts: 405
    Perhaps it's being put on with an eye to this:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/britain-to-bid-for-uci-road-world-championships

I would love it (in a Kevin Keegan-stylee) if the Worlds came to Wales.
    I was only joking when I said
    by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Salsiccia wrote:

If they want Cav to win it will be 100 laps around the Bay.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Salsiccia wrote:

I would love to see Worlds in the UK, but 5 plus days of closed road events in a major UK city? I don't think so, there was plenty of moaning about the Olympic rehearsal.
  • SLX01
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Salsiccia wrote:

I would love to see Worlds in the UK, but 5 plus days of closed road events in a major UK city? I don't think so, there was plenty of moaning about the Olympic rehearsal.

Thats Londoners for you! Most cities outside London would be honoured to host the Worlds, in London drivers go mad at having to slow down for half a dozen riders on a club run.
  • Salsiccia
    Salsiccia Posts: 405
    Not sure about that. If Cardiff gets closed down for 5 days people round here will be going postal.
    I was only joking when I said
    by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Mad_Malx wrote:

Does it have to be a major city?

In their respective countries how major are Medirisio or Varese? (or even Geelong?)
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    hammerite wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:

Does it have to be a major city?

In their respective countries how major are Medirisio or Varese? (or even Geelong?)

I suppose as long as it's proximate to some big hotels it doesn't matter

The Gurnos campaign starts here :D

Strava is not Zen.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    It would be great if the Worlds would be possible - Stuttgart, Madrid, Copenhagen and Florence are prepared to give up easy access to their Tescos and B&Qs for a couple of days, would be great if a Briitish city would be as engaged. Have to say that the extension, from next year on, with a full week including two weekends, TTTs and a sportive, wouldn't make it easier. More something for a region with different places involved throughout the week to spread it out, like Limburg next year. Wales? Yorkshire? Something South West?
  • SLX01
    How about the Isle of Man? They have lots of practice closing the roads and Cav would be happy to.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    calvjones wrote:

The Gurnos campaign starts here :D

Gurnos would guarantee a clean race with no race radios because the locals nick all the drugs and electronics.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    SLX01 wrote:
    How about the Isle of Man? They have lots of practice closing the roads and Cav would be happy to.

5 laps of the TT circuit would be great. Purpose built finish straight with grandstands, five times up Snaefell. Would be a perfect route and the locals love all that sort of thing. The old Manx International was probably the best one day race in the British Isles.