Which vehicle to buy to ferry my steed?

steviemidnight
steviemidnight Posts: 51
edited October 2011 in MTB buying advice
I'm presently sticking the bike in the back of the car and well i would prefer to get a cheap van or people carrier.

i've seen all types being used at numerous venus, vans, people carriers etc. Any recomendations for a cheap afforadable motor to stick a few mtbs in and carry some peeps? tools and a portable pressure washer in.

Comments

• Fiat doblo, 5/7 seats, sliding doors and 55mpg. cheap too. Massive rear door that you can stand under when it's raining

Butt ugly, but amazingly practical.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • dam thats one ugly van but as you mentioned fits the bill with regards to practicallity

thanks for the suggestion i'd not even seen one till now
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Landrover Defender in a 110 but the 90 is great too.

You can then leave the jet washer at home. ;)
  • andysol
    andysol Posts: 125
    Any car is ok but always remember that the value of the bike must exceed the value of the car. :)

Its the rules

Andy
    Evidently i mostly have a FCN of 1. I'm now a lady!
  • bigpee
    bigpee Posts: 205
    I got a very ugly Renault Scenic people carrier for £650 earlier in the year. It has terrible MPG but with the seats always down / removed my bike goes in with only the front wheel off, and there is loads of room for tools etc. Works for me :) .
    Current bikes:
    Norco Sight 3 SE (on order)
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Commencal META 55 custom build (Stolen :( )
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
    GT Avalance 1.0 2006(ish)
  • why? it's cheaper to get a bike rack. Then you can have a car that is... well... not a van. you can keep the vehicle clean by having them outside. Unless you want to keep them in for safety whilst in a B&B, but people break into vans for bricks and blunt old screwdrivers - I think they'd be extra incentivised with a three nice rigs in there.

My 407 has taken four people and three bikes before. To France. Sorted.
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    new shape corsa with the bike rack built into the car - behind the redge plate?
    if not maybe merc mito van maybe lol
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    i see his point of view bike racks are so annoying putting them on and off scratching all the back of the car and spending 5/10 mins putting it on ect and always worrying about it coming off ect when straps losen.
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • Camel TOE :?:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Zafira, cheap, reasonably economical and take a bike standing up complete.

Better still, a TOW bar mounted rack.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • i've had bike racks but i spend far too much time looking at my bike in the mirrors, worrying that it will slip or move. Plus i've scratched the car several times, pedals moving or you have them in the wrong place, clips swinging about.

tow bar racks do sound the best however that still leads me with the need for a new motor.

thanks all I've certainly got some ideas that i wouldn't have necessarily looked at
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Putting the bike inside is better... No impact on fuel economy, can't fall off, no need to buy expensive racks, and no worrying if you're bike's being stolen (I met a chap at Glentress once who'd had a bike stolen off his toeball-mounted rack while stuck in traffic!)

Any decent size estate will take bikes easily... Focus is a good one, not a big car but it has a bigger boot than most larger cars, with the seats down I can get my downhill bike in without even taking the front wheel off, just ride up and throw it in. Astra too. Or Mondeo if you want to go a bit bigger, ideally with the 130 TDCI in it I reckon.

Watch out for- wheelarches that stick in, seats that don't fold flat, low roofs, and boot lips that stick up. Especially the last! It's a moronic thing to do to an estate tbh.

It's surprising how different capacity can be... When my Focus was broken I hired a Toyota Avensis estate to go up to fort william, and getting my 2 bikes and kit into the back was a nightmare, ended up moving a load of stuff into the passenger's seat. But the Avensis is a wider, longer, taller car than the Focus, it just makes poor use of all that space. Same for the V40 etc.

Having said all these nice things about Foci, I'm trying to sell mine. Want to buy a Focus? :lol: £1200, Edinburgh area, 115000 miles and going strong.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    bigpee wrote:
    I got a very ugly Renault Scenic people carrier for £650 earlier in the year. It has terrible MPG but with the seats always down / removed my bike goes in with only the front wheel off, and there is loads of room for tools etc. Works for me :) .

Got a Scenic as well. The ability to take the seats out completely and have a massive, flat, floor is fantastic. The back is big enough that in Wales earlier in the year I finished my ride in the pissing rain, got the bike in the back (standing up with front wheel off, bungeed to the passenger grab handle and a couple of other places) and there was enough room left in the back to be able to climb in and change in the dry for the drive back.
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    edited October 2011
    I've got a Kia Ceed SW and I can put my bike in the back without taking off the wheel.
    They've got the largest load capacity of any car in it's class at 1664 litres - 64 litres more than a Volvo V70!
    You can used ones which are still under the original 7 year warranty (as long as it's not exceeded 100,000 miles).

But as others have said, a towbar and a towbar mounted rack is the easiest solution and cheaper than changing your car.
    I've got one....
    bikerack3.JPG

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • trebor127
    trebor127 Posts: 246
    roof bar mounted carrier :twisted:
  • Brighty
    Brighty Posts: 119
    I recently bought a 1998 volvo v70 T5 for £900, 2.4l turbo petrol with 240bhp, such fun, oh and bikes fit in it too :lol:

Brighty
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    I bought an old ford galaxy from a friend of a friend as an inbetween(er) car, cost me £125 and would fit 4 bikes & 4 people (at a push), rough as a badger's and noisey, but it lasted 6 months, I had many bike trips in it and I eventually sold it for scrap for £150.
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • Porsche 911 :D

Probably the most versatile vehicle out there!

Plus it will get you to the trail before anyone else.

bike.jpg
    Orange Five AM
    Cube AMS 100
    GT Avalanche Expert
  • d3matt

• shoddy
    shoddy Posts: 63
    I have a Skoda Roomster. Very good.
  • Northwind
    jacksonrj wrote:
    Porsche 911 :D
    bike.jpg

Would it not be better to go for a roof mount? That way when you drive it backwards through a hedge the bikes are less likely to be damaged.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    jacksonrj wrote:
    Porsche 911 :D
    bike.jpg

Would it not be better to go for a roof mount? That way when you drive it backwards through a hedge the bikes are less likely to be damaged.

lol

May be I should put the Orange on the back to protect the car? :wink:

Seriously, drive them badly and they are like any car regards ending up in a hedge back. It's really a myth which came about in the 80's when a few banking spivs were buying and crashing them. But they really stick to the road like glue.

The pre 98 air cooled verions are simply the best (affordable) cars ever made. 30 years of evolution plus the quality german engineering 8)
    Orange Five AM
    Cube AMS 100
    GT Avalanche Expert
  • add595
    add595 Posts: 196
    Brighty wrote:
    I recently bought a 1998 volvo v70 T5 for £900, 2.4l turbo petrol with 240bhp, such fun, oh and bikes fit in it too :lol:

Brighty

+1 for this!

I've had my '99 V70 T5 for just over a year and it is ideal.

Handles like a bag of potato's, but still great fun and it can fit in 3 bikes and 3 people (including me) without too much fuss.
    2009 Giant Trance X5
    Kinesis Decade Virsa custom build
    Pinnacle Peak 700c hybrid road rat
    Various other parts 'n' projects
  • Northwind
    jacksonrj wrote:
    The pre 98 air cooled verions are simply the best (affordable) cars ever made. 30 years of evolution plus the quality german engineering 8)

Just googling around and I think the one i had a go in was a 964... It was a total heap tbh but still amazing to drive. Then I got back in my diesel Focus and part of my soul refused to get in with me :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Yes Im with you there. They are very adictable cars. The one i had in the pic is a 964. Agree though there are a lot of rough ones out there and buying one can be a minefield
    Orange Five AM
    Cube AMS 100
    GT Avalanche Expert
  • Elderly Nissan xtrail, diesel. Big spacious box on 4wd and reliable at high miles. Ace sunroof too!
  • hoots
    hoots Posts: 134
    Citroen Berlingo or Renault Kangoo. I've got a Kangoo and mate has a Berlingo, both diesels and on a mixed Mway/A road journey, it's easy to get 50+mpg. The running gear on 'em is all van based, so designed to take a hammering. Obviously, you're not gonna get the same levels of comfort and ride quality as something like a 'normal' estate car from Ford/VW etc., but the car versions are loads better than the vans. There's also the look of the things (er...if that bothers you remotely?!!) - if you can get a decent secondhander, they're also normally a bit better looked after than commercial vans.

I'm on my second Kangoo, first one was bought as a cheap import and I kept it 5 years. and I've had the current diesel one nearly 6 years. You can get internal bike mounts from Renault for about £20 - then it's just the case of drop the front wheel out, stick the bike in and clamp the fork in the mount and secure the frame with a ratchet strap (takes less than a minute!) The standard mounts only fit QR forks, but you can get 20 and 15mm adapters. Obviously, you have to fold the seat back down to get the bike in upright.

Reliability wise, the only thing that went wrong on the first one was an anti-roll bar drop link snapped - £40 to fix. We've had a couple of busted suspension springs and drop link on the current one, and mate has had a spring go on his 8 year old Berlingo - but given the s**t roads around here, that's good!!

In my experience of several French cars, once the extraneous bits of trim drop or break off, you're left with mechanically tough and reliable cars. If you're paying a reasonable amount for the car, I'd recommend getting an RAC/AA inspection though. Anyway, if you want any further advice on what to look for when buying a 2nd hand Kangoo, just drop me a PM.
  • I've got a Saab 9-5 estate just now and can't believe how massive the boot is. With the seats folded down can easily take my 61cm road bike with both wheels still on, and I've even used it as a bed after a night out no problem, 6 foot 5 and could still lie flat! lol. Can pick up a high miles example for £1500! Mines got the best part of 150,000 on the clock and still going strong, haven't had a mechanical since I got it at 90,000!

Half decent economy in the diesel engines as well, 45-50 mpg on most mixed drives.
    Custom spec Scott Scale
    Custom spec Salsa Fargo
    Custom spec Scott CR1
    Scott Speedster S1
  • d3matt
    I've got a Saab 9-5 estate just now and can't believe how massive the boot is.

I used to have one of these. They have ginormous boots. Our was a 2.3T petrol and only averaged about 22mpg and even though 130k miles isn't much for one, it was at the point were we were having to spend a lot on it as bushes were wearing out. With this and the fuel costs, it's why I got a new Kia Ceed SW. Now I get around 50mpg, no road tax for the first year and my first annual service was only £99+VAT. The saving is huge.
    I do this the performance of the Saab sometimes though. It really shifted when in Sport mode.